Monday, October 12, 2015

Make-A-List Monday - Getting Ready for China!

Hi, all!

Well, Monday is here, and at the time I'm writing this, I have four more days to get everything done, the house cleaned, pack, and learn to speak Chinese (oh wait don't need that!) Well, anyway, there's lots of stuff to do this week!  I'm excited about going to China, but a little nervous, too - a country where I don't speak the language, stick out like a sore thumb, and where I'm desperately hoping my phone will work so I can find my way around!  It should be fun....  and terrifying at the same time!

But enough of that - let's take a look at last week's list and see how it went...

1.  Piece Lilli's annual quilt top.
Done!  The piecing is done - next step will be to add the appliqués. But that will have to wait until I get back...


2.  Make a quilt for one of my husband's co-workers.
The top is done - I've spent the last few weeks creating lots of UFOs to quilt after returning from China, it seems!  


3.  Make the T-shirt quilt blocks.
Done!  I finally got these put together today, and will probably wait until I return from China to assemble the quilt.  


4.  Make some more rope bowls!
Done!  I made this one last night and tried out a few new techniques with it - wrapping the cord with baker's twine, and adding a cap and charm to the end of the rope.


5.  Work on Nathanael's stocking.
Done!  I'm working on the backstitching right now - then I'll need to add some more snowflakes.  But it's close to being finished!


6.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that come up.
Done!  We distributed a few quilts this week...

This quilt went to a 2-month old baby who is having heart surgery this week at Vanderbilt Hospital...


This quilt is going to a woman who has just been diagnosed with lung cancer...


This quilt is for a newly adopted baby girl...


And this quilt went to a gentleman who was just diagnosed with optic melanoma.


We also sent four huge boxes - forty-five quilts - with our high school mission team to be distributed in New Orleans this week. 




But see those empty shelves above the boxes?  That's where our stash of ministry quilts used to reside.  Rita (the quilting queen) said it made her very nervous not to have a stack of quilts ready to be given away, and I have to admit that it feels like losing a security blanket (pun intended!)  So I've also been working on quilting more quilts to refill those shelves...



I quilted these two, plus two more I didn't take pictures of.  

So not too bad on last week's list, thanks to some quick work this afternoon.  Let's see what's on the agenda for this week!

1.  Quilt more ministry tops.  

2.  Clean up the house.

3.  Write extra blogposts and schedule for next week 
while I'm in China.

4.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that come up.

Next week, I have no idea if I will have any internet or social media connections at all so I'm planning to schedule blogposts to upload without my assistance.  It'll be weird to be completely out of touch for a week, so I'm hoping I'll have some access.  I know I'll have photos I want to share!

So now the question is - - - what are you working on this week?

Hugs!

Sarah

Oh, and just a reminder - there's a great sale going on over at Craftsy, with huge discounts on quilting fabric and kits!  Click on the Craftsy banner at the top of this blog to check it out - it's a great time to stock up for Christmas crafting!  But go quick - it's only through Tuesday night!

10 comments:

  1. You are like the little engine that could!! Enjoy your trip and we look forward to hearing all about it when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun on your trip! A lot of sites like Facebook and Twitter will be blocked in China, I don't know about blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is China a vacation or education trip? Praying for a safe and healthy trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean you're not going to learn Chinese before going? LOL. You're going to have an amazing time, enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my friends went to China they couldn't access their blog or other social media, but they could email. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister moved to China in august. The menus were all in Chinese with no pictures but the road signs were also written in Korean and she reads Korean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing ministry you have. Blessings for your trip to China. Love the pictures of the ministry quilts. Beautiful variety.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just spent 3 weeks in China this summer. My daughter teaches there. It was an experience of a lifetime. I'm so proud of my daughter, not sure I could do it! If you know someone who has a VPN you will be able to use google and facebook,otherwise you will not have access

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok so I've been really behind in reading lately and totally missed that you are going to China. I want to hear all about it of course!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing such amazing and lovely quilt work here on your blog. I have just bought few of quilts from an online site at great prices. You know I am going to gift few quilt sets to my dear friend on her marriage at event venue Chicago. I am sure she is going to love my gift idea.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!