Wednesday, January 16, 2019

I May Have A Scrap Problem... No Shame Here!

Hi, all!

I love when I can combine two goals into one project - don't you?  I needed a quilt design for the Rockin' Rectangles series that starts on January 27th, and the String Hamper of Shame started calling my name.  Remember this?  


Well, many hours of work ended up putting a small dent in that hamper, and creating this box full of strings cut into 8.5" lengths.


After lots and lots and LOTS of chain piecing, I ended up with a tub that looked like this...


...which, when put back into neat little stacks, looked like this.  Not much difference, is there?


But the result of that small diminishment of my string stash?  A quilt top measuring about 60x67 - no small feat! 


It looks so much like the fabric storage behind it, I'm thinking about naming it Stash (and maybe even appliquéing a large black handlebar mustache on it - 'Stache, get it?)

So never feel like it's a waste of time to save those scraps. There's lots of quilts in your scrap bins just waiting for you to help them come to life!!!  I hear one calling my name right now......


Hugs!

Sarah

21 comments:

  1. I just see scrappy goodness here. No need to call it a hamper of shame. Great top for boy or girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the finished quilt, and " Stache" a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m impressed that you tackled that hamper full of scraps—no small task. Whoop! Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And not it is a useful and beautiful top instead of a tangle of fabric! I have an old quilt made with this pattern from silks; I always thought it was from the leftovers of silk gowns....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quilts made from scraps are like BOGOs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a wonderful job with your scraps. I am covered up in scraps, and currently cleaning them out to start over. I just need to get rid of the massive number I have, passing them along to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have so many scraps to organize now that the bigger stuff is done in the sewing room - boxes and boxes of scraps to go through and I must not forget the two plastic boxes in the closet!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a scrap quilter, I never want to see all of mine gone. Tamed, yes!! That is the huge project for the year - my yellow monster (clothes hamper) is to be empty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is SEW awesome, Sarah!!! Well worth the trip through the scrap bin, I'd say. How many MORE are in there?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very cute! You're right - it does look like a fabric stash. The black mustache is a great idea - such a fun play on words!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stash is a great name for your beautiful scrap quilt. Good luck with that bin. That's a lot of strings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic Stache Quilt!!! It is inspiration for us all....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scrap quilts are the BEST!! I love all the variety in your strips. So fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! Utterly amazing and gorgeous!!! I love this. Thanks so much. I have to add that my idea of a 'string' is somthing quite a bit less than what you have. A string to me is something about 1" (give or take), like the mfg. name selvage with 1/4" of the primary fabric included. But your strings are awesome! Regards, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been pondering what you shared in this post since first reading it yesterday. I think you've given me yet another way to utilize the scraps I generate in my own work. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just love your quilt Sarah. It always inspires me to get started again on stitching with my scraps. I have just finished organising a bin of scraps that were abandoned here from when we had our group doing charity quilts. They are now sorted into colours and hopefully they will begin to reduce, although there is the fact that my own bins are full too. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your rails quilt. I too have far too many scraps. I am hand piecing random Improv blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your quilt and your tutorial with the directions and pictures. This one is a must do for me. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!