Friday, January 27, 2012

Can I get a Whoop-Whoop?? Funky Geese!

Hi, all!


It's finally Friday!  I hope you've had a great week - I feel like I got a lot accomplished this week, even though I've only got one near-finish to show off today.....


This quilt is being made for a young man, 14 years old, who was diagnosed with lymphoma recently.  His colors of choice?  Red, purple and lime green!!  So here's what I came up with....


Sorry about the picture - it rained here all day long!


The red and purple piece behind the grey top is the backing - but it looks pretty interesting as a border!  I'm hoping to get this quilt on the frame and quilted tomorrow, although I'm still trying to decide exactly how to quilt it.  I'd like to have it ready to deliver by Monday.  I'm thinking about binding it in a semi-scrappy binding - strips of Kona Coal interspersed with scraps of the lime, red, and purple fabrics.  What do you think?


*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*

So that's my accomplishment for the week...

What have you been working on?

As you can see, it doesn't have to be a finish...

So write a post and link up!

(If you don't have a blog, you can link to a pic in Flickr)

We can't wait to cheer you on!!

Hugs!

Sarah




PS If you don't already know about it, check out this post which talks about my scrappy block challenge - there are prizes!!  Join in!

23 comments:

  1. This is an interesting piece - I like the idea of a mixed binding, will really set this one off nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking as a mother with two 15 year olds I think you have got this quilt just right -and what's more I think the idea of a scrappy binding sounds just perfect! I am sure he is going to love it - just a shame he gets it is sad circumstances but I am sure it will give him much pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this quilt! Your binding idea will look great.

    No sewing at my house this week...just drywall and paint. I'm pooped!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The grey background fabric is perfect for setting of the bright colours. The scrappy binding sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great job! Its hard to come up with something for a boy that age and you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great guy quilt. Sometimes it's hard to do guy quilts because the fabric is all floral. You did GREAT. Your binding idea will top it off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everyone, nice color combo for guys - guys like quilts too! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a wonderful job on this quilt with what could be a challenging combination of colors, but you did it! It looks great! I like your idea of a semi-scrappy binding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Sarah! I love that quilt. The background makes the colors shine like a neon sign. I think your idea for a scrappy binding is spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That grey background was the perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love scrappy bindings! Maybe it's my indecisiveness, but they are fun! Scrap the rules, right?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The flying geese quilt looks stunning! I know he going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your flying geese quilt! How great that you are making a quilt for a teenage boy! I know my sew group is always low on quilts for that them! Thanks for hosting this linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I opened up a copy of Lifeway's new "More Living" and there you were on the inside cover! I thought, HEY! I follow that blog!!! You looked great and it was a very nice article on both you and Nancy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea you have for the binding...I think it will really make the quilt even more fun.

    thanks for doing this linky WHOOP! It's really fun to see all of the link ups =)

    hugZ,
    annie
    anniesrubyslipperz.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful, bright quilt! Whoop Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE LOVE LOVE the grey with the brights. I am so on a gray kick right now. And yes, you backing looks very interesting as a border. Scrappy binding - absolutely!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am LOVING that quilt you came up with!! Great colors! Any guy would LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the flying geese quilt and the young man will love it too. I really like a scrappy binding - that will look very nice!
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a wonderful quilt top!! you did a nice job incorporating his favorite colors.

    thanks for linking up to finish it up Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I slipped in a late entry - just didn't have time yesterday!

    Your funky geese are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just want you to know it is your fault that I didn't link up this week. I got so obsessed with your challenge that i never went blog hopping on Friday or Saturday. Just saying...............

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now that is FUNKY! :-) Being I'm late to the party (since I was in Vegas ~ Woo-hoo), I imagine you've already got it bound, but your scrappy binding idea sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!