Friday, January 7, 2011

Sew&Tell Friday - Three Finishes for the Quilt Ministry!

Hi, all!

Well, it's the first Friday of the new year - and Sew & Tell Friday is back at Amy Lou Who's!!  Today I've got three quilts for the quilt ministry to show you - two that I made and one made by my friend Marsha!

Here's the first quilt - for a newborn baby girl!  I found this cheater panel at Joann's - which made for a very quick quilt, since we weren't aware we were going to need a baby girl quilt! This little one snuck up on us.......

The front of the quilt...

Detail of the back - doesn't the quilting look nice?

And a closeup of the front!
I used fleece for the back of this quilt - no batting - and I love the way it shows off the quilting.  Very lush!










Next up is Marsha's quilt, which is going to a woman who was just diagnosed with cancer.   Marsha made good use of a "snow day" here, and whipped out this beauty!


This reminds me of sunlight in springtime - so bright and cheerful!  (Excuse the fancy shot - Lilli's preschool teacher was holding it up for me!  I forgot to take a picture and was on my way to deliver it!)

And finally, this quilt was made for a woman who will be going in for surgery on Monday.  Not colors I would normally have picked, but the color scheme in her house is black, grey and red/maroon, and I just received a packet of beautiful black and white scraps, so it seemed like destiny!  I also worked in some of the beautiful fabrics I received from Deb at Deb's Doodlings in New Zealand - she sent some New Zealand themed fabrics for us to use in the quilt ministry, and this is the first quilt we've made using some of them.  The pattern is Karrie Lyne's new Moda Bake Shop design, Java Stars.

"Night Stars" - (don't you love that red barn in the background?)
The back - I love Kona Ash!



And detail of the quilting!





















So those are the first three quilts for the quilt ministry in 2011!  Be sure to check in over at Amy Lou Who's Sew & Tell linky party to see what everyone else has been doing!!

On a different note, I got to spend some face-to-face, real-life time with a fellow quilt blogger today - John'A Lee of The Scrappy Appleyard!  It was so much fun to meet someone I had only exchanged e-mails with before - and we found that we had a lot in common!  I can't wait to meet some of the other quilt bloggers in my area - maybe we should have a get together!

Later!

Sarah

PS - Be sure to check out the giveaway at The Plaid Scottie - she's had 10,000 hits and boy is she celebrating!!!


And Ann over at Renegade Quilter is having a giveaway, too - who wants a jelly roll of French General (besides me, I mean!)?

17 comments:

  1. Oh I love green, that's beautiful and the black and white with a hint of read just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow!!!! You sew girl!!! Very nice job on all 3 of them. I LOVE the green one - so bright and cherry. You get an A+++++++. Nice start to the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Night Stars! Very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wondering if my previous comment came through...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see the above comment posted right away so it must not have.

    It was such a pleasure meeting you Sarah. I just love your house and your neck of the woods. You have an ideal spot to quilt in too. The time and energy you put in to your Quilt Ministry humbles me. I am so thankful for people like you who give so much!
    I think it would be an awesome idea to get some local quilt bloggers together! What fun!
    Looking forward to next Saturday. I hope it all works out that I can come.
    A big hug to you for making my day special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look fantastic! I really want to back a quilt with fleece one of these days. It's just so warm and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great group of quilts! I really like the last one:)

    A get together would be fun! I'm still planning on getting up your way with a pile of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful collection of quilts. I'm sure that each will be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice quilts, all of them, but I especially love that last one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sarah

    I particularly love the black/white/red Night Stars quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are all so beautiful...i really love the one your friend made..the green is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous quilt finishes!!! Can't believe they are for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so jealous. I want to come hang out with you and John'aLee!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful gifts of your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are beautiful quilts. Thanks for sharing that the fleece quilted nicely. I have been thinking about trying it because it is so cold in Upstate NY but I was afraid of it stretching.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!