Monday, October 24, 2011

Make-A-List Monday #69! Time for some "me-time"....


Hi, all!


Monday again - did you have a good weekend?  Do lots of fun stuff?  I went with some of my sewing sisters to a (very) small local quilt show nearby on Saturday - it was a great learning experience!  The ladies managed to pick out the best-made quilt in the room and wondered why it hadn't won first place - I was so proud of them!  (Turns out the quilt was a shop-hop quilt from the previous year, pieced by a shop owner and professionally custom quilted.  It wasn't eligible to be entered for a prize, probably because the shop owner was also hosting the show.)  They also learned that nobody's perfect - they noticed small piecing irregularities on the prize-winning quilts - and now feel a lot more confident about their own quilting skills.  I'm hoping next year we'll all be entering some quilts in this show!


But since it's Monday again, it's time to review last week's list and see how I did....




1.  Bind the soft-colored quilt that was quilted Sunday.
Done!  This beautiful top was pieced by Sharon...



2.  Quilt and bind a bright top for the quilt ministry.
Turned out we were able to use a quilt that was already taken
to church for the October prayer service to fill this need.

3.  Deliver both tops to church to be sent to their new homes.
Done!

4.  Work on seat cushions for a friend's new house.
Started!  I've bought the fabric, and started taking apart
the existing futon cover to make a pattern.  I know what I'm
going to do, just need to get to it!

5.   Make sample gift items for our November open house.
Done!  Or at least a few of them are done. I'd like to make more!



6.  Make some quilt backs for some of those 25 flimsies!
Didn't do any of these this week, but....

7.  Quilt at least two more quilts for the ministry this week.
I did quilt two more quilts for the ministry!  These just
need the binding put on them, and they'll be ready to 
go to their new homes.


And I took a little "me-time" this weekend 
and pieced this pretty top!!


No intended recipient, I just felt like making something new and exciting!  I used Amanda Jean's wonderful tutorial to make this, and it was so simple and quick - and a great way to use some fabric I won about a year ago!  When I showed it to my hubby and he asked who it was for, I told him it didn't have a home - I just made it for fun - and he said, "Hey, maybe WE could keep it!"

So what's my plan for this week?

1.  Quilt at least two more quilts for the quilt ministry.

2.  Piece at least two backs for ministry quilts.

3.  Quilt the zig-zag quilt.

4.  Bind the two ministry quilts from last week.

5.  Bind the zig-zag quilt.

6.  Work on my friend's seat cushions.

I think that's enough for this week - maybe I'll get more done if the list is a little less ambitious!!

And now - - -

Just in case you missed it yesterday - - -

The Traveling Stash has landed at my house!

Check out yesterday's post to enter

in the drawing to be the next place it lands!

Hugs!

Sarah


I'm linking up with Fabric Tuesdays over at 
Quilt Story - be sure to check
out what everyone's working on!!

7 comments:

  1. I like the zig-zag myself - and you should definately keep it when DH makes that kind of comment. What a great goal for your group - work towards a small quilt show. Would love to see the progress towards that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that spontaneous quilt you made! Will have to check out the tutorial. Definitely keep it ;) I liked hearing about you all going to the quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, such a pretty zig-zag quilt! It's about time you get to keep one for yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your zig zag quilt. It reminds me of stained glass. Isn't it great affirmation when our husbands want to keep something we've made?

    I'm starting to realize that mistakes are normal and you just have to find a way to incorporate the mistake into your overall plan if you don't want to rip it out. I made a mistake in the blue quilt I'm making, but I am going to incorporate it into the design and no one will ever know...except me, my mom (who I already told about it - it was her idea to incorporate it the way I'm going to), and now all of you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon's quilt is lovely, but then so is all her work.

    I have liked the idea of a ZigZag quilt ever since I saw Kate Spain showcase her Terrain in one. I think she used the same tutorial so it is on my to-do list!!! Love the colours in yours. Very summery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like that quilt should stay right where it is! Glad you took a Me moment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that top! I have to make one!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!