Friday, April 10, 2015

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? A Quilt For The Birthday Girl...

Hi, all!

It's Friday again - and you know what that means!  It's time to get our whoop whoop on!!  I hope you're ready - I know I am!  I've been waiting a couple of weeks to show you this quilt...


After the last quilt auction we held as an adoption fundraiser, a friend asked me to make a quilt for her granddaughter's birthday.  She had tried to win one of the quilts in the auction, but lost out to a last second bid.  She wanted something bright, vintage feeling, with reds and teals.  She spotted a mini quilt that she liked and asked me to recreate it in a lap quilt size.


The fabrics in this quilt top are mostly from the Nana's Pantry line at Connecting Threads, with a few '30s repro prints thrown in to round it out.   All paired with Kona White.  The stop border is Kona Punch (a personal favorite!) and the outer border is a teal polka dot.  Binding is more Kona Punch.


I stitched in the ditch with invisible thread around all the blocks and borders, then using white Glide, stitched on either side of the diagonals.  All that was done on my table-top Juki, and after that I loaded it on the long arm frame and quilted a random meander in the borders.


The back of the quilt is a reproduction print from Michael Miller called Retro Candy Shop.  I framed the label with a red and teal polka dot, just for fun!


And see that cute little girl with the pigtails in the backing fabric print?


This is a picture of the little girl that got this quilt for her birthday!  I think her grandma did a great job picking out that backing fabric - she's the spitting image of the girl on the fabric! What a doll!

So that's my own whoop whoop for this week...

But now it's time to give one of YOU a reason to whoop!  
It's time to draw the winner of a copy of 
Modern Rainbow by Rebecca Bryan!


Little Miss Random chose #100...


Congratulations, Danette!  I'll be contacting you by email!  Enjoy your book and I expect to see some pretty rainbow quilts show up in the whoop whoop party someday!!

And one more whoop whoop - this one is for my friend Shannon, who runs the fabric shop Fabrics N Quilts!  


Shannon is a long-time supporter of the Hands2Help Challenge and a great sponsor - and after much hard work, she has just launched a new and improved website for her shop!  The site went live today, and I hope you'll hop over and check it out!  She'll be having some fun blog events to celebrate (you might even see something here in the very near future!) so follow her blog to stay informed of all the great things that will be happening soon!

Here's a big whoop whoop for you, Shannon!!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What have you been working on this week?


What's got you dancing the happy dance?

Share - we want to dance right along with you!

And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight - 

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah



16 comments:

  1. Very pretty quilt, and you're so right about the backing fabric being perfect! Such cute print for such a cute little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great quilt! I love the way you used the simplest and very effective quilting to match the piecing. So bright and happy! Thank you so much for the linky party, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have another big section of my tumbler quilt added and that was a whoop whoop for me. -- you have a nice looking quilt there

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, that quilt is so sweet! I love how the back and front play together! And oh gosh, the little girl who will receive it is soooo adorable! She really does look like the girl on the fabric, LOL. Whoop Whoop for you and thank you for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt, and how awesome is the likeness of the little girl to the print? Wow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unreal that little darling in the backing fabric and the lady's granddaughter!!! My mouth fell open! I will have to keep my eye out for that Kona Punch--my grandson loves red and that looks like a good one. And I have to say, love your happy dance video this week--Karen and Jack never fail to make me smile a big goofy smile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet quilt for a sweet little girl - what great backing fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the backing of that quilt! Great job Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really admire your generosity. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are SO many things I love about this quilt, not the least of which is the resemblance between the birthday girl and the girl in the backing fabric. Makes me want to make another bed quilt for my new granddaughter. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great linky today, Sarah. You have a wonderful cliental. Thanks for sharing with us all... or sharing us all.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilt is fabulous. I love all of the thought that went into it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is amazing, just awesome!! Love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilt! I love the fabrics. Cute little one. Fabric choice is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The quilt is beautiful. How amazing is it to come up with a backing fabric that works so perfectly. ? That little cutie is adorable. She's going to love snuggling with this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I love how the quilt turned out. That MM fabric was the perfect backing. Happy Birthday to that sweet little girl. Whoop Whoop for your wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!