Friday, April 24, 2015

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? Stained Glass at Night...

Hi, all!

Can you believe it's already Friday again?  It's hard to believe the week has passed by so quickly - - - but you know what that means! It's time to get our whoop whoop on!  Are you ready?

Today I want to share a project I worked on last week before I got the little girls (and all sewing time went the way of the dodo bird...)



It all started with sixteen of these little beauties - paper pieced courthouse steps/log cabin blocks made by Sharon of Vroomans Quilts.  Aren't they gorgeous!  


This was my original thought - to lay them out in an X design on a black field.  But then...


...I started fiddling around with them on point, and came up with this modified granny square design.  The four blocks in the center were already assembled, with the tiniest little black strips and an itty bitty cornerstone joining them.  It is truly amazing, but I am not patient enough to replicate that kind of work.....  So I grabbed a bolt of Kona black and starting assembling the blocks into a quilt.


After some serious pedal to the metal time, this was the result.  I showed it to my husband and told him it would have black triangle corners to finish it up into a square.  My husband looked at it and said, "If you put black on the corners, you're going to have an awful lot of black!"  Well, yeah.....



...but he made me start wondering if it would be too much black.  So I turned it the other direction (not on point) and took a pic to see if I liked it.  Being, as usual, unable to decide, I put it on Instagram for a quick powwow with some other quilters, and the on-point design won, hands down!


So I added the corners.  That was a tricky proposition - I didn't have enough black left to make full-sized corners (which I realized after cutting the first two!) but the quilt was going to turn out larger than I wanted anyway, so I made a smaller set for the third and fourth corners and trimmed the first ones down to match.  I think it now measures about 66" square.


And look how gorgeous it looks with the sun shining through!  Although those beautiful blocks glow a good bit on their own, as you can see from the studio shot above this one.

Because of the way it glows, I'm calling it 
Stained Glass at Night.  

It was originally intended to be a ministry quilt, but I think it will serve another purpose that I can't reveal yet.  I'll work up a ministry quilt out of my stash to "repay" for the orphan blocks that form the basis of this one.  

As far as quilting goes, I'm thinking of using a "zentangle" type of quilting in all that black negative space, using a glossy black thread.  The backing is going to be a rich reddish purple artists' canvas type print.  The binding will probably be either black or scrappy - I can't decide on that yet, and would welcome any suggestions!

I'm also hoping that my class with Judi Madsen in Paducah this weekend will give me mad quilting skills and uber-inspiration for a great design on this quilt!

And here's one more thing we're whooping about around here this week...


So - - - can I get a Whoop Whoop?


*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What are you whooping about this week?

What's got you dancing the happy dance?

Share - we want to dance right along with you -
Because it's always more fun to dance with friends!

Remember - it doesn't have to be a finish - 
just something that makes you happy!

The party will stay open until Sunday at midnight.

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah

38 comments:

  1. Wow! Love "stained glass at night". I think you picked the best option. I'll have to add you to instagram. Thanks for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally forgot about those little gems! I am so happy to see how you used them - this is just stunning and I am sure you will find the perfect quilting to make this a show stopper. I think a scrappy binding would make for a super finish to this. Whoop! and look at that happy pic - double Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just gorgeous and I really love how it turned out. And the new family pic just fills my heart with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was quite interesting reading about your progress on this Stained Glass at Night. I like this name. It's very appropriate. This top is gorgeous. I'm looking forward to seeing how you will quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it amazing what turning a block on point will do? You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is gorgeous, could you hear me saying "no, no, stay with the on point"? I agree with Sharon, I like a scrappy binding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that quilt! It looks amazing, and I can't wait to see how you quilt it. A class with Judi will be inspiring, I'm sure. I'm jealous (even though I don't have a long arm, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks great have fun with your class in Paducah

    ReplyDelete
  9. That quilt really does look like a magnificent stained glass window Sarah! what a great way to lay out Sharon's blocks. I like the large areas of black. You'll have lots of ideas after your class with Judi.

    WHOOP WHOOP! Nathanael is with his Mom & Dad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon's blocks made for a stunning quilt, with your help. I know you'll have a great use for that quilt, when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww Congrats on the Good news!!! Yay - that was a great photo to put at the end lol!! LOVE your quilt too!! it will be fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that layout!! Just gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm happy, happy, happy dancing for you that pic is priceless - Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I said I'd never make a quilt with black background again because of my eyes, but you've really tempted me with that beautiful stained glass quilt - glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarah, what a gorgeous quilt! Beautiful family, too. I am doing the happy dance with you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The black makes this quilt look a little Amish to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. AND.....the biggest Whoop, Whoop goes to your growing family....congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The quilt is beyond marvelous, but boy, is that photo ever heart-warming! Congratulations again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful quilt. I think you made all the right decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your joint venture with Sharon. I vote for black binding. You don't want to take focus away from the stained glass.
    That little girl sure is limber -
    Sweet that Nathaniel is bonding with his new parents. Zoos are fun places to visit.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love how it looks on point. Black binding would look really good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whoop Whoop indeed -- LOVE your quilt, and it totally reminded me of stained glass windows in a dark cathedral in your last photo, with the sun streaming through. Just absolutely gorgeous. Also, I am Grinch-green with envy that you are taking a class with Judi Madsen this weekend. She is my quilting hero! I hope you have a great time and learn a lot while you are there. Thanks again for hosting one of my favorite linky parties (even though I finish things so infrequently that I am only rarely able to link up)!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the blocks and what you did with them is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like you had some fun with Sharon's blocks! Great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your 'Stained Glass at Night' quilt is AWESOME. Love the black and I agree that the blocks on point was the best decision. Great Job! micki@2dogsstudio.us

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sharon's blocks are beautiful. You did a great job showing them off.
    Congratulations. Your family has another member.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's gorgeous! I like the design you chose, and I agree with many others about the scrappy binding! I think it will just pop out of the black, and bring all the middle blocks together, yet not being in stark contrast enough to overpower the blocks in the middle. You definitely got your sparkle on!
    And Congratulations to the addition to the family, a super great reason to Whoop Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love Stained Glass at Night!!! Why not be bold and channel Jamie Wallen and use some great colors from the pieced blocks to quilt the corner designs along with the glossy black? WHOOP WHOOP!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous work; your quilts are always special but I'm all Whoop Whooping at the final photo! Welcome home, Nathaniel, - what a glorious moment, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. The quilt is beautiful and the on point and black make it pop.

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE the picture of Nathaneal with his parents! I'd go for scrappy binding on that gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sharon's blocks are beautiful as always but you turned them into a stunning quilt. I hope your grandson gets to come home soon. I will keep them in my prayers for safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the stained glass quilt, but more importantly, congratulations on a gorgeous new grandson! That's such a wonderful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love love love the Stained Glass at Night! Gorgeous!! Glad you ignored the husband. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. The stained glass quilt is fabulous! I love the on-point

    ReplyDelete
  36. I really likeyour stained glass quilt.

    ReplyDelete









  37. Contact number :+1 (607) 303-4887
    Email :rchchemstore@gmail.com
    Wickr: johnterry012
    website: https://www.rchchemstore.com
    rch chem store

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for the wonderful informations regarding ,White Pure Heroin, we have interesting article which can help provide you and your audience with more insight and informations about the above mention,everything you need to know, thanks again


    Email>>>>support@cocainestore.com

    wickr>>>robertgreen1020

    call/text >>>1(505)257-5355

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!