Sunday, April 26, 2015

Hands2Help - Introducing Our Next Guest Blogger, Val!


Hi, all!

It's Sunday, and that means it's time for the latest H2H guest blogger!  And be sure to read all the way through to the end of the post - we've got some new sponsors that I want to let you know about!

Today we are welcoming Valerie of Val's Quilting Studio.  Val has a fabulous blog!  One of my favorite features on her blog is her Tuesday linky party, Tuesday Archives.  Each Tuesday she chooses a theme and you can link up old blogpost you may have forgotten about - revive those old posts and show off your beautiful quilts!  Today she's going to share the reason why she makes charity quilts - and so now I turn this post over to her!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Hi everyone, and thank you Sarah for this wonderful opportunity!  I'm grateful to guest host here today to share how much of a difference our quilts make!!  You see, twenty-two years ago I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Disease and underwent 10 months of chemotherapy followed by a month of daily radiation.  And I'll never forget the comfort of my mom sitting by my side during every treatment, knitting this blanket for me.  (...when she wasn't chasing our then 2 and 3 year old daughters that is!  Love you mom!)




To this very day, I love my heart blanket.  It has been worn thin from years of use and its softness has been replaced with those little bubbles knitted blankets get after a million washes.  Its holes have been mended and re-mended.  Yet here it sits every single day, on my favorite chair.  I'm comforted by the love of my mother when I see it...when I cuddle upon it. And even though my mom has since made me a newer...bigger version, nothing can replace the memories and love this ol' one holds.

I enjoy volunteering my quilting services for Project Linus, hoping the whimsy designs I create add a smile to many children who receive them and remind them too, of comforts and support of loved ones as they went through a difficult time.





I am so grateful to be a part of H2H with all of you and appreciate the opportunity to let you know from experience, that your efforts make a difference!

Click here for more information:

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Thank you, Val, for a wonderful post, and a great reminder of how important our efforts are!  If Hands2Help is your only experience with charity quilting, I hope you will take the time to find a regular local outlet for charity quilts.  There is nothing quite like the feeling of hearing that your quilt has made a difference in the life of the recipient - to see a picture of someone holding your quilt and smiling, perhaps for the first time in days, knowing that someone they don't know cared enough about them to make a quilt for them.  Or hearing that the mother of a deceased soldier wraps up in the quilt you made when she feels sad and alone, and needs to feel the love and prayers that went into it.  Or seeing a quilt draping a casket - those are the hardest, but you know that the quilt had great meaning for the person you gave it to. Val is right - the quilts you make are important!  Keep up the good work!!!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now, as promised, let me share with you about some sponsors who have come on board since our "Meet The Sponsors" post!

Karen Green is donating two surprise packages of quilt-y goodness!

Terri Bohling is donating a Jungle Things fat quarter bundle!

Lara B. is donating 50 neon green Wonder Clips and some fabric and other quilt-y goodness!

And the lovely Hema of Malini's Quilts is donating 
a fat quarter bundle of Jungle Ave by Sara Lawson!  
Check out her Etsy shop - it's great!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Be sure to check back next week when we'll have another great guest blogger!!

Hugs!

Sarah

15 comments:

  1. Thank you Val for more insight into your quilting and charity work. I like the works quilted into the strips. And thank you new sponsors for supporting H2H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your fun quilting! It really personalizes the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Val. Very pretty quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Val, and Sarah, for the touching reminder of why charity works are important and the lasting affect they have. As a follower of your blogs, I am continually amazed at what awesome works you two create. Val, I love the quilting on the strippy quilt. I often find myself baffled with ideas of how to quilt these other than an all-over design. This makes it so much more personal and fun! Beautiful! Thanks to the new sponsors! :-) It's wonderful to be a part of H2H and I'm excited more people are joining the effort. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Atta Girl, Val. And an Atta Girl to your Mom, too. Taking care of you and your two girls and making you an heirloom blankie at the same time. Mom's are amazing.
    Thanks for sharing your inspiring story. And thanks to Sarah for sharing Val's story.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inspiring post and very motivating. Val's heart blanket is beautiful and a lovely reminder of her mother's support for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your encouragement Val to carry on and continue to bless others through Charity quilts. I alway hope they are touched by the time and love that goes into each quilt. Janita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post by Val. I follow Val's blog and she is one of the two people that are responsible for me participating in H2H this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that heart blanket has such a great story. I know I get a smile every time I see Val's whimsical and creative quilts. So inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing Val. Love the heart blanket-what a wonderful mom you have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet post, Val. What a wonderful mom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these posts when we can share a bit about ourselves and why we do what we do. Just love Val's heart blanket how amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Mom is a treasure Val and I am so glad that you shared the story of her heart blanket with us!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!