Wednesday, September 2, 2015

What's On The Bookshelf Wednesday - Big City Inspiration!!

Hi, all!

Time to check out another great book today!  I'm sure all of you have experienced this - you are out walking or driving around, and you see something and think, "Hey, that could be a quilt!"  Well, our book today was inspired by just that...


City Quilts by Cherri House is one of my favorite "inspiration" books!  She took common sights in the big city and created quilts that echo those inspirations...


...like windows on skyscrapers...


...or city aviation.  I love that this quilt is a little different from the others in the book - featuring pinwheels and flying geese to reinforce the original inspiration!


And how's this for finding inspiration in unusual places?  City Shops derives its inspiration from the lowly bar code - 
something we see every day!


My favorite quilt in the book is also the only one that I've already made - City Green. You can see my version, called Marine, under the book in the first picture of this post.


I love the way Cheri not only chose the greens, but also the light neutrals of the buildings and walkways, to put in her quilt.  Isn't it gorgeous?



All of the quilts in this book are made with solids, which I just love - they are so versatile, and there are so many colors available in solid fabrics these days!  (I must confess, sometimes I take out my various color cards and just look at the beautiful array of colors!)

There is a wonderfully chatty section at the beginning of the book that talks about inspiration, design, and some great insights on color.  There is also a small section of the book devoted to quilt making essentials, useful, but not overwhelming.  The bulk of the book focuses on twelve stunning quilts that will make you want to rush out and buy solid fabrics!!

Every time I look at this book, I flash back to the trips I've taken to New York City - the quilts are so evocative of the things I've seen while traveling there.  And I want to make them all!!


And just for fun, here's a shot of Marine - 
my version of City Green!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

So that's what's on my bookshelf this week.  Have you looked at yours lately?

Hugs!

Sarah

3 comments:

  1. This is a good one, I loved this book when it first came out, so modern and I was playing with solids at the time. Now I need to go pull it off my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book has been on my maybe list for awhile. Now, it's on my want list for sure! Thanks for the recommendation and for showing the inspiration pages from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Thanks for loving my book, and the very kind review. I hope you will check out Urban Views as well - more adventures with solids. Your City Green is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!