Friday, July 7, 2017

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? Doin' the Happy Dance...

Hi, all!

Welcome to Friday!  Seems like it came really fast this week, because we had a holiday in the middle - but that just means we get to do our whooping a little sooner!  I hope you're ready to do your happy dance - I know I am!

Back in March, I started seeing Instagram posts of the Long Time Gone quilt EVERYWHERE!  Well, long story short, I finally succumbed and bought my own copy of the book.  I didn't formally join the quilt-along, but I did try to keep up, and found that it was a really easy way to make this kind of quilt.  A few blocks each week...


...aren't these X and Plus blocks cute?  And I was able to keep up pretty well...


...half square triangle blocks are so much easier with a Bloc-Loc ruler!  And these blocks are so much smaller than they look - the squares in this Trip Around The World are only 1" finished!


Fortunately, I had a handy dandy technique for making this particular block that made it a lot simpler! Believe me, I was grateful - there are 169 squares in that one block!  But this was the killer...


...sixteen 5" square paper-pieced pineapple blocks.  I'm not a big fan of paper-piecing, in fact I'd say I'm really terrible at it - or I was, until I had to make 16 of these babies!  Each block has 40 pieces in it, which means a total of 640 for all 16 blocks.  Each took me about 45 minutes to make, which meant I was fairly sure I was NEVER going to finish!  But - - - I have!!  I conquered those pineapple blocks, and may even try another paper-piecing project some day.  Thanks, Jen Kingwell, for taking me out of my comfort zone!

And now that those pineapple blocks are finished, I get to start assembling the quilt...


It started out like this - just blocks on the design wall....


...then I grabbed some natural Essex linen out of the stash and filled in with sashing .....


...and then suddenly a second section joined the first!  

That's all I've had time to assemble so far, and I really need to work on some commission jobs, so it may not get any farther this weekend, but it sure does feel good to see it coming together!!  

So - - - can I get a whoop whoop?

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's got you whooping it up this week?


What's making you do a little happy dance?

Share!  We want to dance right along with you -
And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday night.

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah

11 comments:

  1. I love those triangles and diagonals above the pineapples, looks like they are spinning the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just jumped in, myself. I took your suggestion of working on a few pineapples at a time and printed all my papers yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blocks! It's such a fun, happy quilt. I might have to consider jumping in on the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While they took a lot of work, your pineapple blocks are great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pineapple blocks turned out great. That is going to be a fun quilt when it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WooHoo! I love your LongTimeGone coming together. I totally scored on a bundle of Gardenvale from Craftsy and I'm going to make something Jen Kingwell with it to celebrate. I kind of like the mixture of blocks like yours but will have to let it percolate awhile to decide. I'm quilting my Metro Rings this weekend...I hope :-) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good - I love the scrappy look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love everything about this project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really coming together. Way to hang in there on the pineapple blocks. Looking forward to the grand Ta-Dah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not think I realised how small the blocks were so admire what you have done pineapple blocks are hard but that tiny I wold call impossible what a great quilt you will have when completed

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah...that I'm getting some finishes done this summer is making me HAPPY DANCE!! Thanks for the linky.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!