Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I'm Having So Much Fun....

Hi, all!

Remember back to when you learned how to sew.  Remember all the silly mistakes - forgetting to put the presser foot down and jamming up the machine, letting the needle come unthreaded, coming out with wildly crooked seams?  Welcome to my world this week!

Eight little girls (grade-schoolers) have joined me to learn how to sew this week, for an hour each day.  We're making pillowcases for the 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge.  Yesterday was a learning day - they learned how not to run over their fingers with the sewing machine, and how to sew a straight line. Today they started on their pillowcases.  I spent  the entire hour going from machine to machine, rethreading, clearing out jams, showing each one how to put their pillowcase together.  But here was the best conversation I had all day:

"My machine is jammed up!"  

"Okay, I'll come fix it for you."

"I tried to fix it myself. I ran the thread through the horse's head three times.  Wasn't that enough?"

"Oh, yeah, I think that was more than enough!"

I ended up having to cut the thread several places along the machine to get it out of that one!  


Later!

Sarah

5 comments:

  1. Had to think about the "horse's head" for a second, but then I got it. Ha! Sounds like you had quite the fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horse's head? Hmmm. I guess that is what the thingamajig looks like. And since I don't know the actual name, it works for me!

    Three times through the "horse's head"? Like I said, you're a brave, brave woman. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful to hear about young people learning to sew. You must have the patience of a saint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you're having fun! I've never heard it called a horse's head, but it works:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear ! It does sound like chaotic fun !

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!