Friday, July 9, 2010

It's Friday - Come See What I Finished!

Hi, all!!

Well, another week has come and gone - I've had a few sewing "finishes" this week, but even better, my husband and I (mostly my husband!) finally finished laying the hardwood floor in our house!  Sounds silly, but this has been going on for several years now, and we've been down to "just one more room" for a long time.....  So a couple of months ago, my hubby decided that he was going to take a few days of vacation around the July 4th holiday and finish that floor.  Friday morning rolls around, and as we're pulling up baseboard, I remarked that this would be a good time to fix the cracks in the walls since the furniture was moved out of the way.  To which my husband replied, "It'd be a good time to paint the walls, too!"  So while he laid hardwood flooring, I patched the walls and painted the room! I've never dodge-painted before - it was kind of interesting!  And we didn't kill each other, so it all worked out ok..........  Check it out!


The model shamelessly baring her belly in the last picture is my chocolate lab, Bailey!  I love the new color - it was a really ugly grey-green that looked like wet concrete most of the time - this is much more bright and cheerful and bring so much light into the room!  Of course, the new lighter floors help, too - we used a white oak instead of red oak, and it's much brighter.  We have lots of trees on our lot, so it stays really shady most of the time, which is why most of my quilt pics are taken outside!  

So now for my sewing finishes for the week - eight blocks for the Simple Sampler Quilt Along!  I added another set of fabrics so I am actually working on two quilts each week.  First, a picture of the newest blocks in my first fabrics:


And here's a picture of the six blocks in the new fabrics:




It's a wild mix of brights and black/grey, but I think I'm going to like it!

Tomorrow I have a group of ladies coming to my house to piece a quilt top for a friend at church who has been battling cancer for eleven years.  We're going to make Karrie Lyne's version of the Jacob's Ladder block - she's having a quilt along you ought to check out - it's a great block and it would be a lot of fun to make!  Plus quilt alongs are fun!

One more thing - check out this great vintage fabric I found in a box in my attic (I think it came from my grandmother's house!)  I'm looking for a great way to use it - any ideas?  Just a note - it's only 36 inches wide!  Remember when you had a choice on cotton fabric widths?



It feels strange not to have a quilt to post, but hopefully by next Friday I'll have another.  See you then - but in the meantime, check out Amy's Sew & Tell Friday and Andrea's Lush Friday.  I can't wait to see what everyone's done!!  You also might want to check out Finished Friday at The Quilt Shoppe - lots of neat stuff to see there!!
FinishedFridayFeatureTag[4].jpg


Later!

Sarah

18 comments:

  1. What cool vintage fabric! Hmmm...I'll have to brainstorm an idea for its use. Nice job on the floors. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would make an adorable skirt for your granddaughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lots to see here today! Well, since I've already mentioned how cute your blocks are, let me start with saying your room looks beautiful! The hardwood floors and the paint job are just wonderful. My bedroom is painted a similar color, so I'm partial to that shade, I think. And that vintage fabric is so cute, I could just squeal (however unladylike that may be)! How many yards of it do you have? No ideas are popping in mind yet. I think I'd just have to pet it and stare at it for awhile! A picnic quilt maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your house looks awesome!!! Congrats to a job well finished! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...your room looks awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blocks! love your room makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great work...love that last fabric

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bailey"s delight in th efinished room is the very best part!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off I had to laugh about the hardwood floor project going on for years. Not because I think it's silly, but because I can relate! We're entering the 2nd year of tiling our house. LOL! We've got one room, and two bathrooms to go.

    Secondly your finished room looks fabulous! Hardwood floors are so warm and inviting. Beautiful paint too. I can't tell if it's a sagey green or has a hint or turquoise in it (looks a little different in each pic). Either way, it's yummy with the floor. Glad to see Bailey approves.

    Thirdly, really like the zebra and leopard fabrics for the second quilt. I've always wanted to try some of those fabrics, but haven't found a way yet.

    And lastly, cool vintage fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sure have been busy! The place looks cozy and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, the room looks great! Love the wood flooring ... we replaced one room with wood flooring and 3 years later still waiting for the other rooms! Yes, I can relate. Great blocks and love that vintage fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your room looks wonderful!! Doesn't it make you feel great?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your room turned out great! I can't believe you did it all in a week. Your dog is adorable and a nice "accent" to the house!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can relate to the ongoing remodel! I'm still waiting for a finished kitchen. Nice variety of blocks and the vintage fabric is cute!!
    I have to admit I'm a little jealous to see your baby grand in your "new" room. Mine is in a crate in the basement due to lack of space in this house:( The room looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your room looks great and your model is just ridiculous! What a ham! That vintage fabric is great and I immediately thought of placemats.

    I loooove the sampler quilt blocks with the flowered fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! I love that last piece of fabric! What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That vintage fabric is to die for! What a great find. Your living room looks great. :) I'm sure it feels so good to have it done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your room! The color on your walls with your new floors looks fabulous! :o) And your model is just too cute! Love love love your fabric! :o)
    There is a new little page on my blog titled "bartering" and wanted to extend the invitation. :o) I am looking to trade fabric scraps for quality handcrafted jewelry. :o)
    Sincerely ~ Trish

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!