Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Random Thoughts and Things That Inspire Me!

Hi, all!

If you follow my blog, you know that last week I was teaching eight grade-schoolers (mostly 3rd and 4th grade) how to sew, and that we made pillowcases to give to a homeless shelter as part of the 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge.    Well, early Thursday morning before the girls got there, I was setting up the room, replenishing bobbins and thread, and checking out the work the girls had done the day before.  Some of them needed a little help, so I sat down to pull out some stitching and make some corrections so that the girls would be happy with their finished projects.  I didn't want to correct them too much, because I don't want to discourage them from continuing to sew.  Most of the mistakes were just experience mistakes - things they won't do (crooked seams, pinches in the fabric, etc.) after they get some experience under their belts. As I was sitting there, I had the random thought, "I wonder how many nights my grandmother sat up pulling out my stitching and fixing problems when I was learning to sew?"  You see, she taught me how to sew when I was eight - and I don't remember being put off by her correcting me - yet I managed to make a presentable pair of tailored shorts with waistband, darts and zipper!  So I imagine this was something she also did - and yet she managed to encourage me to a lifetime of sewing and crafting!  It's such a simple thing to encourage someone else - you probably do it every day when you post a comment on someone's blog - but it is so important!  You may be that one voice that helps someone improve and grow in their craft.  Keep it up!

As far as things that inspire me, I hope you'll check out my friend Tracey's blog.  Her most recent post is about a quilt that she made by Karrie Lyne's newest Moda Bake Shop pattern, Random Reflections.  She started this quilt on Friday night to give as a gift at a party on Saturday!!  She did a great job and I have a feeling we'll see really great things from this newbie blogger!  So check out her blog and show her some blogger encouragement!

And just FYI, I hope you all know how much I appreciate your comments!  They encourage me every day!!

So what's inspired you lately?

Later!

Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Sarah that's beautiful! It's so nice to help people isn't it... I think that's part of the reason I teach.

    You should feel good for passing on your knowledge too! They will think of you like you think of your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool post, Sarah! Great topic. As to your question about what inspires me...I'll have to think about it and then write a blog. :-) LOL!

    Thanks for introducing me to Tracy's blog. I'll be interested in seeing her progress. She's off to an excellent start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a very sweet post. You ARE an encourager. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!