Friday, January 21, 2011

Can I get a Whoop-Whoop?? The very first one!!


Hi, all!

Here we are at the beginning of what I hope will be a long-standing Friday tradition - the Can I Get A Whoop Whoop??? Friday Linky Party!  This is a laid-back, easy way to get motivated to work on your projects and get a little bloggy love to inspire you!  If you want to see the guidelines, you can check them out here - then join in the fun!!

So without further ado, here is my Friday finish......




This quilt has a great story.....  A couple of days after Christmas, I received a package of blocks from Diane over at Life Scraps containing some pretty pink and green blocks and block kits, and some purple scraps that she was donating to our church's quilt ministry.  When I e-mailed her to let her know they had arrived, she told me that the purple scraps were originally intended to be made up in another rendition of this quilt, but she decided she didn't want to make the same quilt twice.  So I put the scraps in a bag with the intention of making up her pretty squares quilt sometime in the future.

Cut now to the second week in January.   I got an e-mail from a friend at church asking us to make a quilt for Savannah, a ten-year old girl with cancer - she has been battling it a long time and just got some unfavorable test results.  Anyway, I e-mailed her back and asked her if she knew anything about the Savannah's color preferences or likes and dislikes, and she told me she'd see what she could find out and get back to me.  



The next morning, we woke up to lots of snow and no travel because the roads were so bad.  Faced with a toddler-less day and a sewing machine, I headed upstairs to my studio to work on some old projects!  After I finished one, I checked the computer to see if my friend had e-mailed me with any more info on the little girl.  Nothing there.  So I decided to go ahead and work with the purple fabrics, and if it didn't work for Savannah, we'd just give the quilt too someone else.  I worked on it all afternoon, adding a few purple fabrics I had and some white fabric, and got 30 blocks done for the center of the quilt.  

Still no information from my friend, but it occurred to me that Savannah might have a Caring Bridge webpage, so I checked, and lo and behold, she did!  I went in to her photo section to see if I could tell anything about her favorite colors - - - and her entire bedroom is decorated in purples and apple green!!  So I went ahead and finished the quilt top, knowing that this little girl's quilt had been determined long before I even heard about her!  


I even found a piece of purple print in my stash that would work, colorwise, with the front of the quilt - but I was worried about it being too traditional compared to the contemporary front.  I took it to church to show some of my fellow quilters to get their read on it, and happened to run into Keri, a good friend of Savannah and her family.  Keri saw the fabric and without my even mentioning it, asked if it would be part of her quilt - because it had butterflies on it, and butterflies are Savannah's favorites!


I named this quilt "Hope" - and the name is worked into the quilting on one of the blocks.  Our prayer is that it brings Savannah hope every day!

Here's Savannah, wrapped up in her new quilt!

It always amazes me when I see how God works in everything!  It's not the first time I've seen this happen with our quilt ministry - and I'm sure it won't be the last.  It's why I love being able to do this so much!!



So that's my finish for this week - 
thanks for letting me share with you!

Now it's your turn - here's the linky!  
Show off your accomplishments for the week, 
linking to your blog or flickr page!
And don't forget to encourage your fellow linkers!

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt, and an amazing story of how it all came to be. Cute to see Savannah all snuggled in it. I hope she has good news ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sarah that quilt turned out great! I know Savannah will treasure it, she looks so happy all snuggled up in it. I will pray for her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me cry :) I love the story, and I'm sure precious Savannah will be comforted by a quilt that was obviously meant to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a gorgeous quilt. Savananah looks warm and cozy with it on her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing...the quilt and the story. The quilt is beautiful and Savannah looks very happy to have received it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what an inspiring post! Isn't it wonderful to give hope and comfort??

    ReplyDelete
  7. You almost had me in tears girl! That is such a God moment there when everything cam together for Savannah's quilt. She will love it forever!!!

    Jesus speaks through you:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this quilt. The story behind it was so moving. I love how God works things out before we even realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a blessing to Savannah! I just received a request for a 13 yr old with cancer; Bless these poor children!

    ReplyDelete
  10. very touching story. Funny how things work out some time!! Love the quilt, love the story

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know you have read this from me before, but you are such an inspiration! Savannah's smile tells it all. So glad to be part of your first Whoop, Whoop Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed the story and the quilt. It is lovely, and I love the purples!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came here from Jamie's blogpost about Whoop! Friday, saw you are living in Mt. Juliet (I used to live in E. TN), and that your church has a quilt ministry, as done mine. (In fact, after several years of being able to do next-to-no-quilting, it was formation of our church's quilt ministry that got me back into quilting.)
    Don't know if I'll have anything to whoop about this week, but glad to have found your blog, in any case.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the quilt Sarah. I can't post about a sock! It's the only thing I've done this week, except finishing the free motion on the spring fling quilt.
    This coming week should be better. What a lovely story too. and I do love the quilt which should cheer up any little kid.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!