Sunday, August 7, 2011

Are you a quilter who reads or a reader who quilts?


Hi, all!  Today we're doing something a little bit different - my friend Miki Willa is guest posting today, to tell us about something she is starting over at her blog.  

It sounds like a great idea, and lots of fun - check it out!!

 

There are things that go better together than a good book and a quilt.  Unless you add chocolate, but that is another story.  Hi.  I am Miki Willa from Miki's Fabric Creations.  Sarah has generously allowed me to be a guest blogger today to talk about a new online group I am hoping to start.  Read on if this sounds interesting to you.

Do you, like me, really enjoy a good read, but also love to spend free time quilting?  Often, when I am reading these days I begin to picture a quilt that might show what I am experiencing in the story.  Recently, I found a a like-minded group of quilters who have a great wet site, Cover to Cover.  They have been meeting together for ten years and creating beautiful quilts. They are doing just what I would like to do, except I would like to do it online.  Here is some of what I envision:
Who:  Anyone who loves to read, discuss books, and quilt
What:  Create a group who will select a book, discuss it, then each create a quilt of any style that is their own impression of some aspect of the book.
When:  Time lines for reading and discussing the books would be determined by the members.  Cover to Cover averages six months per book/quilt.
Where:  I would set up a blog where we could discuss the books and post our quilt ideas and WIPs.
Why:  I really enjoy the online groups I belong to.  It would be great fun to share ideas about books and quilts.  This would be a great opportunity to learn new techniques, meet new quilters and readers, and express ourselves in a different way.
To get the ball rolling, I am having a fabric giveaway on my blog.  Hop on over and become a follower and leave a comment about why this group sounds interesting to you.
Thank you again, Sarah, for allowing me to post on your blog.

Thanks, Miki, for sharing this great idea!  I hope all of you will go over and check out Miki's blog - if you've never seen it before, you'll be amazed at all the inspiration you'll find there!  And this would be such a great way to explore another side of quilting - give it a try!!


Hugs!


Sarah

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for Miki's guest blog. I think Miki is an amazing quiter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting...if I hadnt have put the ban on myself for committing to anything right now.

    When I did the May for Me quilt, I was completely inspired by "Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates." I read that book and just had to make a 'Holland' quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea! I hope Miki gets a lot of interest in that online group. I've got to focus on what's in front of me to do right now or I might be tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for presenting Miki as your guest blogger. After reading Tonya's post on "Being Committed," I decided not to sign up for anything else this year. That was until I read Miki's post. I found that Miki's idea appealed to a creative urge in me that I had not tapped. I am looking forward to participating in her project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds fun...but I had better concentrate on the quilt I'm making for my MIL! LOL Her birthday is coming up fast!
    Jacque in SC

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!