Wednesday, August 3, 2011

What's Cookin' at The Sweatshop, Week #3



Hi, all!


Wow - I can't believe I forgot that yesterday was Tuesday!  So this week's ministry update is a little late - I guess time flies when you're having fun!!  


Monday Cindy and Kathy from the quilt ministry came over and we worked on organizing some of the donated fabric that we've received in the past few weeks.  



I show you both of these pics because in the first one - you see that patch of floor at the bottom right?  Well, it's the first time I've seen it in about six months!  There was a pile of boxes there with fabric that I hadn't had a chance to get through - and now it's gone!  My sewing area feels twice as large now - and lots of storage space was uncovered, so we've got some more cubbies to fill up!  The shelves are stacked nice and full with folded yardage, and the scrap bins are overflowing - time to get to work with my Go! Cutter to knock them down to usable sizes!


This week we delivered a quilt to an older gentleman connected to our church who's dealing with cancer and other health problems...


This beautiful quilt was pieced by Sharon Vrooman of Vrooman's Quilts and donated to the ministry - we added borders and quilted it.  I do love string quilts - wish I had the patience to make one myself!!


We also delivered two quilts to church for our pastor to have available to give out at our monthly special prayer service if he felt someone needed an extra "hug" to take away with them...




This pretty rainbow version of a sudoku quilt was pieced by Cassie and quilted by me...



...and this is my contribution to the Great American Jelly Roll Race - it was so much fun to make!


I'm currently hand-sewing the binding on two quilts, a third is in the dryer getting its crinkly goodness, and they'll all be going to church tonight for our semi-annual GroupLink - a time when people can learn about the groups and activities that are available at our church. Hopefully we'll find a whole new batch of ladies (or even guys!) who want to learn to quilt!


I also just ran the totals for the Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge - 47 active participants made and donated 62 quilts to Judi of Green Fairy Quilts for their charity that takes quilts, school supplies and food to orphans in Romania! Woohoo!!  I can't wait for next year!!


So that's what's going on in The Sweatshop this week!  And since we're all suffering from the heat, it seems, here's something to look forward to....


Can't you just feel the cool snap of the autumn air?  Bring it on!!!


Hugs!


Sarah

8 comments:

  1. You and your group have blessed so many people! The quilts are wonderful! The picture of the fabric on the shelves could inspire someone to make a string quilt with blocks separated by narrow black sashing. Do you see what I'm talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, look at all that fabric! Great quilts finished. And thank you for the 'fall' photo - I so am looking forward to my favorite season of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilts and terrific work! Does one Ever get enough stash! Keep on rotating the stash...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your storage area is phenomenal---such great fabric!!

    OH where is that cold snap yes--I was thinking that yesterday too in my A/C'ed car at a red light!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cool greens and blues of that jelly roll quilt!! How hot is it there? We're always hot in the summer, but I don't miss the humidity of where I used to live in the Northeast. We complain it's cold when it is 70 here. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fall Sarah! Love the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilts you make to give away are amazing. I just can't stress enough how amazing. The fabric store I used to work for makes quilts with volunteers every year in a weekend event they call Share the Warmth, and donates them to various charities. They aren't near as beautiful as the ones you do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fall? Really? We haven't even had summer yet! It got to 81 today, but the clouds are creeping in. It's Seafair weekend, so I hope it stays nice! I sent you an email.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!