Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What's Cookin' at The Sweatshop, Week #4

Hi, all!


Well, it's been a busy week for the quilt ministry!  We had our monthly get together and luckily had someone who thought to take a picture of the ladies, so I can show you some of my wonderful sewing sisters....



Aren't they lovely?  And guess what - they gave me a hat shower on Saturday - I forgot to take a picture of the hats, but I'll try to throw one in later on this week!  We had a ball getting together and making backs for quilts, working on other projects, checking out some new donations that came in while we were meeting (thanks, Stephanie!) and of course, eating!  They brought so much food that we spent a long time eating....  lol!!



Today, this quilt was delivered to my doctor's office to go to a young woman I met at chemo yesterday - she has to go to chemo once a week and doesn't have a great support network - so we thought she could use a quilty hug!!






This pretty quilt is going to a fellow blogger - my friend Kelley, who blogs at My Front Porch, has a blog friend who was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor, and thought she would appreciate a quilt from our ministry.  By the way, Kelley was our first recipient, and the start of our quilt ministry!  Now she makes the hand-made cards that we give with each of our quilts.  They're gorgeous!




Tomorrow this quilt will be delivered to church to go to a woman who is going through a very troubled pregnancy.  She loves bright colors, so this quilt seems to be right up her alley!  Don't you love that vintage red polka dot on the binding?  




We're also working on quilts for a family that recently suffered a death in the family - this flimsy will be one of the quilts that goes to the family, and this finished quilt will be going also....




I'm in the process of piecing another top, too, but don't have pictures of those blocks.  My friend Cindy started them, but ran into a snag that I worked out for her (frustration set in.... she needed a break!) and I hope to get that top finished tomorrow.


I'm also working on quilting a beautiful blue batik jelly roll race quilt that was on the frame when my Juki decided to go berserk and start skipping stitches.  (Sadly, my house call repair guy couldn't fix it, so we have a 7:45 a.m. appointment at the shop tomorrow morning - hopefully they can fix it while I wait!  He was a little surprised when I told him I had fifteen quilts waiting to go on the frame, so maybe!  Keep your fingers crossed..)  The blue batik is going to a young man who was in a horrible motorcycle accident and I really need to get it finished and off to him soon.  Sorry I don't have a pic of this one, but I'll get one soon and post it - hopefully next week it will be a finished quilt pic and not just a work in progress!




Oh, and one last quilt - I finished the binding on this quilt yesterday, so it's ready for its new home - as soon as God tells us the address!  I loved the comment that someone left when I said a quilt didn't have a recipient yet - she told me that God knew where it was going, He just hadn't told us the address yet!  Isn't that brilliant - and true!  This top was pieced by Sharon Vrooman - we added the borders and a pretty red back.  I think it turned out great!


So that's just some of what we've been working on this week - looks like our "break" is over and it's going to get busy again!!  Whew!!


Hugs!


Sarah

18 comments:

  1. Love all the quilts, What a great group of ladies! Oh, the 'nearly Amish' quilt looks fabulous. So glad it is finished and waiting for it's address. Just a fun quilt parade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all just gorgeous! How wonderful that so many lives are brightened by such nurturing gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely quilts with great stories. You are always a busy lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww... Thanks for the sweet words! :) They are all beautiful!! I like your blog font too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow@ those are wonderful quilts, and your ministry is amazing. I can not imagine all the love you are spreading - that is just cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely to put faces to some of the amazing women who help you out with the quilt ministry! Thankyou to all of you for your fantastic job - and that goes for all those who's mugs are not posted, lol.
    I am loving all those quilts - just gorgeous! I especially love that last one with the dark blue border and the one with the more earthy tones!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah:
    The quilts are beautiful, but not nearly as beautiful as the quilters that are making them. What a wonderful thing you are all doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful collection of quilts! God will know just where they need to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilts are awesome. I know they will be loved. Do you have a special saying that is included in the card?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah, you and your group are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilts are so beautiful, the quilts we do are not of such quality. I am learning and might have to move it up a notch. I love doing them, it keeps you busy but I know the receiver will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the photo. It's nice to be able to see the faces of the lovely ladies who make so many wonderful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your gorgeous ladies are turning out some gorgeous quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved your blog today! I hadn't read the story of how your ministry started. What a great start for something so wonderful! You and your group sure do good things Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are all lovely! Can't pick a favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. All I can say is WOW!!! I am touched by the thoughtfulness and kindness of this ministry even at a distance- that's powerful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The quilts as usual are just spectacular , I am so impressed with your group of ladies and all the wonderful thoughtful things they do for other people. You are all angels to the people you give the quilts to I am sure.
    Blessings to you and your group. Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!