Friday, February 21, 2014

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? A New Design...

Hi, all!

I hope you all have been enjoying some nice weather - we certainly have!  At least, up till now - they're predicting severe storms for us tonight (Thursday night) so hopefully I'll still have a roof tomorrow morning!  Of course, I found out today that I need a new roof, so maybe that's not so important.  Oh well!

I did get some quilting done this week - I'm kind of enjoying doing some straight line quilting on my tabletop machine - it's nice to slow down a little bit!  Fortunately, I've got a local friend with a very nice Gammill, and she said I could come crank out ministry quilts on it while I'm (still!) waiting for the (back-ordered) part for Jolene.  Thank heavens for good friends!! She told me her Gammill's name is Mamie.  Mamie and I got along well together earlier this week!


But today I want to share the quilt I finished with straight line quilting this week.  This quilt was my test quilt for a tutorial I was asked to write for a series of posts on the Benartex blog next week.  I wrote the tutorial but wanted to test it before I started cutting their fabric, so I made the quilt in a larger size. 



For this one, I used a Comma jelly roll and some Kona, I think in bone.  It's a really simple block, either for pre-cuts, yardage, or scraps, and it's a simple quilt to make larger or smaller.  The tutorial will run next Friday on the Benartex blog, and I'll put a link to it in next week's Whoop Whoop post!




I quilted this one using an angled straight line, but to add interest, I turned some corners.  Thank heavens for my Mark-B-Gone marker, which helped me keep a straight line on the borders!  



This quilt already has a new home with Diane, who used to work with our quilt ministry.  Her life has gotten much more complicated since she learned to do some amazing long arm stitching, so she doesn't get to come as often as we'd like to see her, but we still consider her a part of the group.  She had surgery this week for a blocked carotid artery and we wanted her to be wrapped up in a quilt-y hug from all the ladies at the ministry!  If you've never seen her quilting you really should go check out her blog.  She does the most amazing memory quilts I've ever seen!!

And now, just for fun, I want to show you a picture I found earlier this week while looking through a box of old stuff…


Me with my very first rotary cutter and mat!!  I think this picture is between 20 and 24 years old  I showed it to the ladies at church and they said, "Oh - - - your hair was brown?"  LOL!  I wasn't quilting back then, just sewing clothes for myself and my young daughter, but I put that rotary cutter to good use even then!

So that's one of my accomplishments for the week - 
can I get a whoop whoop??



*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's got you whooping this week?


What's made you jump for joy?

Tell us - we want to dance right along with you!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight - 
and remember - it doesn't have to be a finish!

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah



28 comments:

  1. LOVE this quilt. I need to restock my Comma fabric (I am so afraid of using all of my fabric up from this line. I love how this turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This quilt is absolutely fabulous. I love it! I am sure your friend will too! As always, thank you for hosting the linky. Have a great weekend. Marie x (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is just beautiful, I love the colors and design

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may turn me into a modern style quilter yet....this piece is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to your friend's blog and her work is indeed amazing. The letters and names she creates by not quilting them add an other dimension to the quilt. I hope everything will go well for her.
    I'm sorry for my double entry in the linky party... I don't know what happened with the first one. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Comma quilt is gorgeous! I just love straight-line quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sarah...you started my day with a genuine laugh....love the pic of you!!! LOL!! Also, you reaffirm my desire to make a quilt with a white background....Happy Friday! V:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the rotary cutter picture! I felt so 'powerful' when I got my first one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt is gorgeous! Love it!
    And love the photo--makes me smile to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilt and what a photo! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your Comma quilt-I gotta get me some of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, if you just wait a little bit, I'm sure my roof just may fly by. You can grab it as a new roof ;) Can you tell that it's gusty here?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you and the ladies for the beautiful quilt. I took it with me to the hospital. My nurses and doctor asked all about it. One of my nurses hoped that I would forget it and she could take it with her. I felt the love and it brought me great comfort. Thank you very much. I am home now, going through the recovery period and it is till bringing me comfort. I've always made quilts for others, but this is the first time I have ever received one and just wanted you to know I cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the upcoming series on the Benartex blog, Sarah! Your comma quilt is gorgeous. I love the offset alteration of the columns and the straight line quilting done on the diagonal! You deserve an extra Whoop! Whoop-Whoop-Whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a cute quilt. Great use of a jelly roll!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love you quilt. I have some of the fabric maybe I will wait for your tutorial to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like your quilt....congrats on the tutorial writing, btw...and the straight line quilting is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the quilt & super love the throwback Thursday picture!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The quilt is beautiful! I really like the design and your quilting on it is superb. Now that picture with the rotary cutter made me laugh right out loud. You look like you're plotting carnage of some sort. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The quilt is beautiful! I really like the design and your quilting on it is superb. Now that picture with the rotary cutter made me laugh right out loud. You look like you're plotting carnage of some sort. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made a quilt similar to yours, even similar colors, but love seeing how you staggered the layout. And the white blocks with the color centers mixed in. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The quilt is so beautiful, the colors just blend and pop and I love your picture holding the rotary cutter. Amazing talent you have!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sarah:
    I really would like to join the H2H event you are having. I also have a ministry called Layers of Hope - Quilting 911 and we make quilts for 911 dispatchers in need...Aurora Tragedy,Colorado Floods, Oklahoma Tornadoes, illnesses, fires, etc.. we reach out to those unseen and only heard heroes. However, I believe there is always room in our lives to reach out to someone else and I have added your button to both my blogs. We are a registered charity in WA state and our logo is trademarked. We will be going to a dot org/com soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great pattern! That'll be wonderful for an H2H quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's not brown hair, that's a beautiful auburn! And a beautiful quilt. I'm betting your friend Diane loves it. Best wishes for her speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sometimes the simple designed quilts and quilting turn out to be quite lovely as your is! Just love it! How nice to give it to a friend ~ I am sure she will treasure it! Congratulations on your part in the Bernatex series! Love the picture of you with the rotary cutter!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Sarah, your humour is priceless! I love reading your posts and your quilt is beautiful. Your friend will surely treasure it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!