Friday, August 22, 2014

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? A Close Call, and a Quilt….

Hi, all!

It's Friday again - are you ready to get your whoop-whoop on?  I am - it's been an eventful week, and I've even got a finish!!

So first of all, the close call. Summer weather in Middle Tennessee can be up and down - the heat and humidity can cause afternoon thunderstorms, but we usually have some warning when severe thunderstorms are heading our way.

Yesterday morning, the weatherman said there was a 10% chance of rain, and the temperature would be in the low 90's.  Nothing to worry about, right?  Well, about 3 pm I started hearing thunder in the distance.  Didn't think much of it, because Jolene is on a UPS to protect her electronics and my computer wasn't plugged in. Then a few minutes later I started hearing things slam against the back of the house, and the power went out.  Looked outside and the wind was blowing sideways ferociously!  Grabbed my computer and purse, ran downstairs and kicked the dog out of the one safe spot in my house during a tornado (my bedroom closet) and called my daughter to see if there was a tornado warning for my area.  She said there was only a severe thunderstorm warning. Well, there was definitely a severe thunderstorm going on!  The sound of the wind started dying down a few minutes later, so I went to look out my bedroom window….



…and here's what I saw!  That tree sits about eight feet from my bedroom window on the bottom floor, and my studio window on the upper floor!

Here's a couple of shots from this morning…



And a picture of the giant oak in my neighbor's yard that is now laying in my back yard!


We're very thankful that none of the trees that came down hit the house, but it's going to be a lot of work cleaning up the mess.  Fortunately, there's a lot of guys with chain saws at my church who love a good excuse to chop things up!  And there's plenty of excuse at my place - about six trees came down…..

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

I do love a "stained glass" shot!

But now on to the quilt!  This quilt will be raffled off by my daughter at the upcoming Burlap & Berries Barn Sale here in Mount Juliet on Labor Day weekend.  All proceeds will go to her adoption account to help #bringNathanaelhome!


It's a 2" postage stamp quilt, measuring about 70" square.  
The fabric is Modern Roses by Stephanie Ryan for Moda.


The back is a tone-on-tone cream with more of the 2" squares to break up the expanse of cream. 


Quilted in what I like to call "girly swirlies"..


It has great texture!!
  

And someone will be taking it home on Sunday, August 31st!

We'll probably open up the raffle participation to this blog and Facebook, too - so stay tuned for more information!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

That's what I'm whooping about this week!

What's making you smile?

What's making you dance the happy dance?


Share - we want to dance right along with you!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight
so there's plenty of time to join in.

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah



40 comments:

  1. Oh my - if that tree went the other way!!! Someone was definitely looking out for you. We had some really bad thunderstorms and heavy rains - thankfully no winds. You know how I love postage stamp quilts and this is just wonderful - someone's going to win a super quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A close call indeed, glad everything is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your postage stamp quilt! How did you make it? I mean, did you just make long rows of 2" squares, or did you make blocks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, it froze on me before I finished. My approach would've been to make either 9 or 16 patches or something like that, and make sure I hade a variety of fabrics within each block. And then just sew the blocks together in rows as with any other quilt. I'm curious what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How terrifying. I'm glad you are all safe and that no real harm has been done xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would have been frightening for you. I'm glad you are your house are both OK. Pity about your lovely garden though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! That's too close for comfort, glad your safe. Such a happy quilt, I'm sure it'll do well in the raffle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! Amazing how those trees fell. Thank goodness they didn't hit the house and no one was hurt. I love the quilt Sarah. Just beautiful. As always, thank you for hosting the linky. Have a great weekend and stay safe! Marie xxx (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That must have been one wicked storm. Someone must have been looking out for you.

    The Postage Stamp quilt turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks goodness someone was looking out for you and that tree went the other way. I love your dancing video this week, it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you were spared. We had swirly winds for about 5 minutes but nothing really came of it here in Brentwood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yikes.....glad you are safe......that photo from the inside....through the window looks like a water color painting!!! But horror to you I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, so lucky that tree went away from the house!
    Carole @ From My Carolina Home

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah....oh no! How scary! Your quilt finish looks like a cozy finish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have trees close to the house, too. It makes the property gorgeous, but I worry about them coming down like yours did. Praise God is was OPPOSITE the home!

    LOVE Nathanael's new quilt. Wish I could come bid on it; it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never seen a tree go down. I can't imagine all the emotion that goes with that! Glad you are safe! Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad you are safe. These summer thunderstorms have been something this year! Your postage stamp quilt is lovely. The fabrics are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry you lost a tree but glad it didn't hit your house!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you are surviving mother nature...but kicking the dog out of safety? I bet the dog values you more...sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody, just to clarify (since you obviously aren't familiar with my sense of humor), I let the dog come in after I got to safety - I wouldn't have kicked her out if she hadn't tried to bite me when I told her to move over so I could get in! So I'm not so sure she values me more…. ;-)

      Delete
  20. Storms are never fun to me and I have spent plenty of time in closets with my pets waiting for them to pass. So happy to see the tree's did not hurt anyone or fall on a home! The quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sarah, that was one scary storm! It sounds like it must have been a supercell, with storms colliding. Thank God that tree went the other way! Your quilt with the girly swirlies is so pretty! And I always get a kick out of your Whoop Whoop dancers...hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh My goodness - that had to be scary. Glad the tree decided it liked the other direction better.... sheesh!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Scary when big trees tumble. Glad everyone is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ooooh. I'm glad no one was hurt and the tree fell away from the house. Our weather here in Mississippi was the same as yours. Just all of a sudden a storm brewed up and down came the rain. We had a little wind too but no damage. ... I hope your beautiful quilt brings in lots of money for the adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Holy cow, how awful! Glad that you and your house both escaped injury. Hope the cleanup goes well. Will insurance cover any of it? Also hope your lovely quilt finally gets your grandson home.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yikes!! I am so glad to hear that you are all right! That must have been very scary! The quilt looks beautiful. Good luck with the fund raising and the adoption.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow!! So glad you and your house are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my! That was a VERY close call. So glad everyone and everything is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cute quilt.

    Storms here today as well as one of our trees that has fallen on neighbors barbed wire fence that keep the cattle (and bull) in his pasture and out of our gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! Glad that you are safe. We passed stayed the night in Tennessee on Monday night and headed home Tuesday morning. The weather was beautiful! Storms can be really scary and come up pretty fast.

    ReplyDelete
  31. OMG, thank goodness you are OK and your house was not damaged. Its also good that you have friends who like to cut things.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow...such a nice no rain day!!! Adoption...my favorite subject. Both my kids are adopted...of course they are now grown...best of luck..

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my. I too am glad that none hit your house. Love the quilt and I'm hoping that the raffle raises lots to help bring him home.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am happy that you and your family is safe and that the house was spared. Horrible to see such large trees come down.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, all those trees down! Glad it missed the house. Love that postage stamp quilt. I laughed out loud about granny gettin' down!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sorry about the trees. Glad nothing landed on the house. Scary either way.

    ReplyDelete
  37. So scary!! You were very fortunate for the direction that tree fell for sure! It actually looks like it was partially hollow in that picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow glad you are ok. Love your girly girl quilting. Trying to figure out how to do that. Do you make the swirls row by row across the quilt? Wishing you blessings on the raffle. You have been working so hard to bring your little guy home. Janita

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!