Friday, December 11, 2015

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? One Down, Two to Go!

Hi, all!

Here we are again, Friday, and only two weeks until Christmas!  I imagine that you have been busy finishing up your hand-crafted gifts, just like I have, and hopefully you'll be able to show some of that wonderful crafting off!  It's time to get our whoop whoop on - are you ready??

*&*&*&*&*&*&*


Emmy's annual quilt is finally finished!!

For those of you who may not know about the annual quilt tradition, each year since Lilli was two (the year I started quilting) I have made each of my grandkids a quilt.  They are each getting quite a collection of quilts, which they use and love.  Two years ago, Lilli told me that the only thing she wanted from me for Christmas was her quilt!  Now that makes it all worth it!



Each quilt has something in it that reminds me of the grandchild's year - in Emmy's case, it is the yellow flowers in this print.  In the spring of last year, she loved to pick dandelions, calling them "yeyow fwowers".  It was so cute, but actually became a problem when dandelion season ended!  She still loves them - we saw one in the grass the other day and she just had to go pick it!


I had a lot of fun with the quilting, too - tight swirls in the setting triangles, big flowers in the solid blocks, and a random meander in the floral blocks.  But the really fun part is the back of this quilt...


The back of this quilt is a vintage embroidered tablecloth I found in an antique shop.  It is in perfect condition, and almost exactly the right size.  I added a yellow border to bring it up to the right size.  Take a look at that beautiful texture on the back!!


Here's a close-up shot so you can see the beautiful embroidery!


And I'm happy to say that it already has a label!  It tells a little bit about things Emmy liked during the year, and what she herself was like.  I make one of these for each quilt so it's a little time capsule for the kids!


And here's one final picture, just because it's pretty!!

So - can I get a whoop whoop??

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What are you whooping about this week?


What's got you dancing a little happy dance?

Share!  We want to dance right along with you!

And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The linky will stay open until midnight Sunday -

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah

25 comments:

  1. That is such a beautiful quilt. When you showed the tablecloth you intended as the back I knew it would look good, but the quilting is just marvellous - a reversible quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emmy's quilt is so beautiful! Just for a girl without being cutesy. The back is stunning. Your quilting is just wonderful on it. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is beautiful. What a lovely find for the back of the quilt. Both sides of the quilt is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so beautiful, Sarah! Between the vintage tablecloth and the quilting texture, I really love the back, especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara, your quilt is so fun with the tableclothe on the back. What a creative and unique idea. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you quilted this and the back is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a truly wonderful idea that you have, Sarah, so meaningful. Any quilt is special but the fact that you have a theme in the quilt that reminds you of their past year kicks it up a few notches, I'll say! Seeing that gorgeous vintage tablecloth used on the back takes my breath away. You are SO smart! Beautifully quilted too, love swirls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoop Whoop!!! I love seeing the things you finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emmy's quilt is so cute! I love the inspired backing, and the texture! Big Whoop Whoop for you! I'm sure she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your story about Emmy and dandelions and even more I love how your quilts are a little time capsule about the year for each grandchild. Really gorgeous quilting Sarah and a brilliant use for that beautiful tablecloth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most definitely a whoop, whoop. What a wonderful idea, Sarah. That embroidered piece turned out so beautiful. I'm sure Emmmy will treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you get the whoop whoop of the day! This is fantastic and you're right, the backing is extra special. Your granddaughter will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoop, Whoop! Love the tablecloth backing. I make a yearly quilt for the grandkids too but I don't include a lovely label like that. You are full of wonderful and creative ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can not even express how cool I think that double sided quilt is. What a great vintage find and what a cool way to quilt it up. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. the idea to use that tablecloth was brilliant IMHO. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic backing! That much embroidery would have been a lifetime project for me, but as a found object, I can just admire it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That IS pretty ! I don't blame for slipping in a final photo ! And that is the most unusual back I've ever experienced ! What a wonderful idea ! Your grandchildren are VERY blessed !

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing quilt! I love the story behind it. And I especially love that you used a vintage embroidered tablecloth for the back!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The embroidered tablecloth is perfect as a backing! I really like how you added so much detail about who your granddaughter is now on the quilt label - that information will be much appreciated when she's older.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous idea to use the tablecloth for a backing!!! Looks awesome and you did an incredible job centering it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. I don't know how you do it! A quilt every year for each of the grands?! Amazing. And this one is just beautiful. Doubly beautiful with that vintage tablecloth to back it. And your label is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. An annual quilt?!?! What an awesome grandma you are. This is such a beautiful creation. How many grands do you have? Please tell me you don't have 10...because then I'd feel like a total loser! lol!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!