Monday, August 22, 2016

Make-A-List Monday - Rockin' and Rollin!!

Hi, all!

Monday again, and we're starting to see little hints of fall here - it was lovely and cool this morning when I went outside, a first for the season.  It's been so warm that even at 6 am, it's been hot and sticky.  I love the way fall kind of creeps up on us, and I'm hoping to see more of it sneaking in soon!

I'm also happy to say that last week was a very productive one!  I really feel like I'm making some headway on a lot of projects - and that's a good feeling.  Let's see how the week went...

1.  Keep working on the secret projects.
Done!  One finished, one in progress, one stalled, and several in the design phase.  I managed to kill my Go! Cutter working on this - one of the dies got stuck in it and I can't get it out.  Arghh!!

2.  And just so there's pictures to show next week, work on the string blocks for the ministry member's quilt.
All the blocks are DONE!  Here's the blocks all stacked up ready to sew in units of four...



...and here's two sets sewn together and up on the design wall!



Isn't that pretty?  I really like the way this is turning out.  Can't wait to get more of these blocks sewn together!

3.  Quilt that last top for Covered in Love.
Done!  Julia Kennedy pieced this beautiful top...



...and even sent this beautiful pieced back to finish it!



This quilt is going to Covered in Love - I think it's the last 
of this year's H2H donations!

4.  Start deconstructing the t-shirts for the commission quilts.
Done!  I've got all of the shirts deconstructed so the tub they are in is now able to close - hallelujah!



5.  Cut down t-shirt backs into usable blocks 
(for this week's scrap post?)
Well, I've started on this project - here's what it looked like when I began...



...and here's what I've cut so far...



...but there's still about half a tub of t-shirt pieces to cut up!  There are 35 12.5" pieces, and way more than that of 6.5" and 4.5" - so I think I'll be able to make a bunch of stadium quilts out of this!  


6.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that come up.
Done!  We've been kind of slow, so I posted a note on Facebook for our members - and boy did they come through!  This quilt is going to a man who just lost his wife and is having difficulty adjusting...


This quilt went to a man who was just diagnosed with lung and bone cancer, and is currently going through chemotherapy.


This quilt went to a man who's body suddenly stopped making bone marrow.  He's going through tests to try to determine the cause of his condition.


We also gave one other quilt that I forgot to take a picture of - it went to a gentleman who has been diagnosed with a debilitating disease that is taking away his mobility.  He's having a hard time dealing with the changes in his life, and we're hoping that a quilt will help him realize that he's not alone!

So all in all, last week went very well!  And not only did I get to all the stuff on the list, but I made this pretty quilt top...


...using a fat quarter bundle of Echo by Lotta Jansdotter I had been hoarding since 2011 and a new pattern from my Stash Builder Box called Bundle Buster by @quiltingjetgirl - and wow is it ever a bundle buster!  I had a handful of tiny scraps left over from sixteen fat quarters, and now I have a beautiful top that measures about 60" x 80"!  And it only took about four hours, from pressing the fat quarters to finished quilt!!  If you aren't a subscriber, you can't get the pattern yet, but @quiltingjetgirl said that she would be releasing it as a stand-alone pattern in the next few months.  Follow her on Instagram to stay informed about the upcoming release!  This is such an easy pattern, it will definitely become a go-to pattern for things like charity quilts!!

I also wrote a tutorial for making t-shirt quilts that posted Sunday evening - all the tips I could think of that I've learned while making them all summer!  If you've ever thought of making one, I hope you'll take a look and see that they're not as difficult as you think!

OK - so now let's see what's on the horizon for this week...

1.  Keep working on the secret project!

2.  Sew together the string blocks.

3.  Create the blocks for the two t-shirt commission quilts.

4.  Mail the H2H quilt to Covered in Love.

5.  Make a weighted blanket (commission job).

6.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that come up.

Looks like a short list, but there's a lot of work there - so unless I get a herd of minions, I'll be plenty busy this week!  

So now the question is - - - - what are YOU working on this week?

Hugs!

Sarah

17 comments:

  1. Waiting till it is all finished, but the " Mod-Ified Tree" pattern, with the fabric, from Eva Paige Quilt Designs, is sewn, just the binding to do, and better still, enough of the wavy strips to make 6 place mats.You have been a very busy girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have much time for sewing in August. I've been canning tomatoes! I can see I have been doing something, just not sewing. I do enjoy seeing other people's quilting progress Blessings, Gretchen villacrestfarm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for quilting up that 9-patch quilt for me. It turned out great!
    I love the bundle buster pattern that you made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are always busy helping others. Julia's quilt top is beautiful, as are the quilts you sent to the 3 gentlemen. I have been quilting a little every few days or so as my health allows. Working on a QAL :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, lots done and lots to do! I can't wait to see the stadium quilts made! And the @quiltingjetgirl quilt pattern is beautiful too. I can't wait til it comes out. You are always so productive! I keep saying it but one of these days I am going to show up on your doorstep to apprentice with you, lolol. I am working on Rachels (Stictched in color) ColorBrick pattern. It is going to be a quilt for ME! lol. I used her curated FQ called "From Porto and beyond" and I just love the colors! I am thinking of getting another bundle I love it so much! I am also working on a table runner and a Christmas tree skirt. I have 6 quilts at the LAquilter so when they come back I will be able to sit and bind. You inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Echo looks great in Yvonne's pattern! Oh, and that nine patch is beautiful! What great progress Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There isn't much sewing going on right now, but there is painting going on. All I have left to do is paint the walls and the quilt room will be ready for Hubby to install lighting and a closet door. Then (happy dance) I can get my long arm. :)

    Happy Stitching!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am finishing my quilt for the "Quilts for Pulse" done by Orlando's MQG. I hope to get it finished and sent this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was so much fun to watch the quilt top.come together for you via Instagram!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do so well with your lists. Yes, short list but with items that do take a bit of time. I had 3 more very large bags of scraps donated - I just don't have the room and may just gift the whole lot on to the church group up the road.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've probably missed something along the time I've been following you. What are stadium quilts?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You continue to inspire me! I've got the finishing touches to quilt on the Xmas quilt and I need to baste & quilt my modified postage stamp quilt. I also have the purple rail fence quilt to finish (if only I could choose backing fabric!). That's a full list for this week cuz I'm still putting in late hours with the 'day job'!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, my real name is Jean, well actually Anna Jean are my Christian names in that order, but when I went to High school rather than use my nickname which was Nan, I decided it was time to have my real name there on all papers and documents.And I chose Jean, at 12 years old thought Anna was a bit old-fashioned, and how wrong I was. Then my dear friend Walter ( I named my blog in his memory, he was in HMS in the navy in WW2 ) called me Nancy J, and that seemed to stick. I really do not mind either. Thanks so much for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Your weekly progress is more than I get done in a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  15. aren't lists great!!
    1. 365 blocks
    2. lap robes
    3. small finishes
    4. sleeve on fair quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your turn of phrase: fall creeps on us. That's so true. Midday is still hot but the nights hints at what is coming.
    I love your string blocks. The colors are so rich.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do with all the t-shirt squares.
    I first came to let you know that I nominated you for One Lovely Blog Award. Which you can accept or refuse. All the details are in my today's post. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you make a list for each week! It is wonderful to see your progress on things as well. You have inspired me! I will wait to get started till the kids go back to school, but I will be making a list!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!