Friday, June 12, 2020

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? A Finish!!

Hi, all!

Here we are at Friday again!  No matter how confused I may be during the week about what day it is, I always make sure to remember when Friday rolls around, because it's the best day of the week - the day we get our whoop whoop on!  Are you ready?  Then let's get started!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Today I am tickled to death to have an honest-to-goodness finish!  I've been working on a t-shirt quilt for a while now, off and on in between other projects that needed to be done first.  It started off like this....


...an enormous box of t-shirts and memorabilia - sixty-five t-shirts, to be exact!  Well, that had to be whittled down, of course - there was no way to get that many shirts and other things into one 65" square quilt.  But I did manage to get parts of 46 shirts, plus other bits and bobs of memorabilia, into this quilt!


Allow me to take you on a guided tour!  This was a fun quilt to make, with lots of childhood and high school memories....


Beach trips, sports activities...


...and some fun fringe trim from a pillow!


The pocket from her high school backpack, which has a working zipper - it will be the perfect place to stash some M&Ms!


A bit of a hat (the duck), the monogram from a school uniform, a bit of a shirt from a production of The Aristocats....


A shirt from Wicked, with the words to one of my favorite songs - it rolled through my head the whole time I was working on this quilt!


This girl has a lot of running t-shirts for someone who hates running!  And how about that cute little mermaid?


A high school nickname - I had to recreate this one, because the shirt is still being worn!


So glad Taylor Swift put this cool design on a pocket, so I could include it in this quilt!


And this t-shirt was originally a lot larger - do you see Mary Poppins on the end?  So I guess you can bet what the whole shirt said on it!


Here you can see the well-loved sheet that became the back of the quilt, and another mermaid swimming merrily along! The mermaids were printed on a beloved childhood pillow, and I thought they would be cute superimposed over the shirts instead of having a block of their own.


And it's all finished off with a fun striped purple binding!  I had just enough of a chevron print to do all of the binding and the color is just perfect!

How about a tip for those of you thinking of making t-shirt quilts?  Some t-shirts are made with heavy ink that tends to drag on the bottom of the walking foot when I'm quilting.  I've learned that the easiest way to make the quilting go smoothly is to use tissue paper between the foot and the fabric for those sections.  I used to draw a line on my paper strip with pencil, that I could line up with the Hera marker crease where I marked my quilting line.  Even easier, though, is when I have striped tissue paper!  Then I can just line up one of the straight lines in the paper and voila!  It's done!  The paper tears away easy peasy after stitching.  Now I watch for striped tissue paper any time I'm in the dollar store...


And that's my finish for the week!  Can I get a whoop whoop?

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's got you whooping it up this week?


What's making you do a little happy dance?

Share!  We want to dance right along with you,

And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight.

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah

16 comments:

  1. I just finished quilting a t-shirt top for my daughter in laws cousin. I wish I had know about the tissue paper tip because there were several t-shirts that really slowed me down when quilting. The same cousin asked that I make another quilt for her from her remaining t-shirts that she cut up. The request is to have the front AND back all t-shirts. I practiced on some of my old shirts and found that it was way to difficult to line up the seams and to quilt over the bulky seams. Think that she will need to agree on two quilts instead of one. Thanks again for a great post and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip for quilting t-shirt quilts. I'm getting ready to make another one for my daughter and will keep that in mind. Your finish is awesome! How fun to have all of those extra bits and bobs. And the zipper pocket...love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOWsers! That is a wonderful finish--pockets, too? Amazing work....I have never made a tee shirt quilt, but imagine it must be challenging...nice work Hugs and stay safe Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your T shirt quilt finish is a work of ART! What a wonderful batch of memories for this young woman to cuddle up with :-) The care you put into designing these is kind of amazing!
    I have just one line of binding to stitch down and I'll have a finish to show. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You managed to fit a lot of stuff into that quilt. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You included a zippered pocket?!?! I've never done THAT before. Congrats on packing SEW many memories into this incredible quilt, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just perfect! It's going to be so loved!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an incredible memory quilt... wow! So many special details... great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great quilt. A perfect finish

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is truly a special t-shirt quilt with all those extra surprises sewn in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fabulous Tshirt quilt. I have no seen one I am more drawn to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 65 t-shirts - that's a BUNCH to go through and sort out and decide. Your finished product is amazing - what a fun memory quilt for the recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sarah! Congrats on getting the t-shirt quilt finished. I just finished one this weekend, too. I wanted to thank you for the Moda fabric gift for participating in H2H. That is so sweet of you. I can't even imagine how you organized this shortly after moving and trying to get settled. {{Hugs}} Thank you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's truly fabulous. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cured from (HSV)-2, via__________________________ R.buckler11@gm a i l. com],…

    🙂 ~ Blessings!

    HE CURES ALL.............

    HERPES 1&2

    HEPATITIS

    FIBROID

    PROSTATE CANCER

    ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!