Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Toddlerless Tuesday #9! Wicked weather in Tennessee.....


Hi, all!

Well, it's Toddlerless Tuesday again - and it started off wild!  I woke up this morning to 40 MPH wind gusts - the hickory trees had been losing their nuts all night, and the sound of them bouncing off the tin roof was like gunshots all night!  My poor dog took to hiding under the deck in the pre-dawn hours (and the deck is only about 16 inches off the ground, at the highest part!) to avoid being "hailed" with hickory nuts. So I spent most of the morning sewing and listening to weather reports of tornado warnings....  

But I did get a few things done.  I finished the quilting in the center of my Sail On quilt (finally!) and all that's left to quilt is the border.  I'm trying to figure out a way to FMQ sailboats in the solid border - I guess I need to get doodling!  I also quilted a flannel baby quilt (we've been having a lot of babies in our church lately!) and I need to sew the binding on (as soon as Glee is over, I promise!)  Then after picking Lilli up from preschool, we took a nap on the bed while watching Spongebob Squarepants (what IS the appeal of that show?), then we made spaghetti to eat when her parents came to pick her up!  You haven't lived until you've made spaghetti with a 3-year old!

Well, you all know (if you've been reading the posts this week!) that my birthday is Friday.... and yesterday I got a package in the mail!  I opened it and was so surprised to find......


Do you see that beautiful pillow?  
Well, I first saw it here - - - on KarrieLyne's blog, Freckled Whimsy.  
She posted a great "process pledge" blogpost about it, showing how she made it.  
I even showed it to my husband and told him how gorgeous it was - 
and then it turned up at my doorstep!!  
If you live anywhere in the Middle Tennessee area, you probably heard me - 
I was more than a little bit excited.....  ;-)   

If you've never seen Karrie's blog, you really should check it out - I think I first came across it with her Tuesday Tidbits - where I finally learned, after 45 years of sewing, how to properly use a seam ripper!  Epiphany!!   Karrie has had several quilt designs posted on Moda Bake Shop - awesome and easy designs that you will really enjoy making.   She's also hosted a a quilting bee and a quilt-along - and I can't wait to see what she'll be up to next!  This is what I love about blogging - Karrie and I have never met, but we both count each other as good friends!

Well, that's how my Tuesday went - and just in case this is the first time you've come by this week, here's a reminder to check out my Sunday blogpost for information about my 
birthday giveaway! 
Be sure to leave a comment on each of my posts this week for entries, 
plus there's info about how to get some extra entries on Sunday's post.

Later!

Sarah

48 comments:

  1. I love the wonky stars within the wonky star. happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Glee! And the pillow is gorgeous - lucky you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in california and I think I heard you from here!! What a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet birthday gift! I love it :-)

    The weather has been crazy wild windy up here in KY today too. But I just made sure to be a slow & steady driver this afternoon, and we made it home in the right number of pieces!

    ~ Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you survived the high winds. We had the facade of a building fall off here. Luckily it was 4:00 in the morning and no on was out at that time!

    That pillow is beautiful! I love star blocks, so that is right up my alley!
    Thanks for sharing.

    Sandy A in St. Louis

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you call Tuesdays Todderless Tuesday - made me smile! I want that pillow - so after I am done posting here I am heading over to Karrie's blog - I love blog hoppin, you find so many cool things! Birthdays (yours and mine) are almost here!
    Ria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww..Sarah! Saying such sweet things to make me tear up are we? ;)

    I'm so glad you love your pillow, but even more delighted that we are such good friends!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Sarah...aren't you just a lucky duck! That pillow is gorgeous! What a thrill to realize that you were the 'lucky recipient'. That is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you (and the pup) survived the hailing hickories! You actually got the tail end of "our" winds, so I'm glad they eased up by the time they got up & over to you. Same winds tore up a school in Rice, TX, and were buffeting our little camper (all 40 feet of it!) all day long, so we were NOT real sorry to see them go, lemme tell ya

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I need to go back and see how you come by getting 'toddlerless tuesdays' because I would love to have one myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have hickory trees also, and pecan trees.....and you know what that means...Squirrels Galore!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I live close to Beth and also heard you. I'd be screaming too. That pillow is so stinkin cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a good day to stay in and sew. Karrie is one of my favorite bloggers and I did see that beautiful pillow on her blog. So happy it now resides in your home, and just in time for your birthday. How sweet!! Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great birthday gift! I just started following "Freckled Whimsy" - love her quilt patterns and tutorials. I plan to try "Random Reflectins" from the Bakeshop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice surprise to get that beautiful pillow! And I'm loving another view of your pretty wall color too. :)

    I woke up to 40 mph winds this morning too, sans hickory nuts. Tonight is more of the same.

    Ha, glad I'm not the only one who learned the right way to use a seam ripper just this year. Talk about an "aha moment! I couldn't remember where I'd read it, but it was probably the same place you did.

    ReplyDelete
  16. GA here and we had some rain but nothing too bad. Now its humid as heck again! GRRRR

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spaghetti with a 3yr old --how cute and yeh Spongebob is rather boring!!

    Hope those tornadoes pass quickly.

    L.O.V.E. your hardwood floors too BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, glad you didn't blow away!

    Wow, what a scrappily pretty pillow. Very lovely birthday present. :-) It's nice when the gifts start rolling in early!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you had quite an exciting day! I love the pillow you got for your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like that pattern too!
    Hope things are OK with you - I can't imagine what it must be like living through tornadoes (I'm from the UK)
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great Pillow! Hope you got through the weather yesterday ok.. that looked pretty nasty ...

    ReplyDelete
  22. The storm picture is awesome! We had bad storms up here in Mich. too. The pillow is beautiful I will check out Karrie's blog, especially the seam ripper post? Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. nice picture ; NICER pillow ! There were tornadoes in Indiana yesterday ; thank God none of them in my area ! close , but not here .

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had bad windy, stormy weather down here in Cleveland, TN too! I love Freckled Whimsey...I'm about to start KarrieLyne's latest Moda Bake Shop quilt. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Birthday! What a sweet pillow, it looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh my goodness i saw that on her blog and loved it. lucky you....it looks great in that chair. sometimes we get terrible wind and the whole house howls

    ReplyDelete
  27. Saw the weather on the weather channel..glad you made it through...

    Pillow is so cute. Happy Birthday in case I miss it later.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I saw that pillow on Karrie's blog the other day. LOVE IT! What a fun birthday gift!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So whether that pillow came due to your husband's influence or not, there were some energetic thank you's delivered, I'm sure. Lucky you! And Happy Birthday minus 2! rita at WhereElse dot ca

    ReplyDelete
  30. Btw, Sarah, that storm had considerably calmed by the time it hit me, here near Ottawa but it rained pretty much all night. Our acorns are mostly down, so no noise here, but I know what you mean about that. I have two daughters in Toronto and they had a tornado watch! rita

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is a gorgeous pillow. I am on my way to check out the link. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a nice gift! Glad our wild weather didn't get you:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful pillow! Your poor pup probably thought that mother nature was very mad at him!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a great surprise. Have a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Scary storm clouds - Lovely pillow..... hanging in for your lovelies to come to a good home in the Sunshine State downunder......Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  36. The pillow was made for that chair. Love your wall color:) We're getting those storms here in Atlanta this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  37. That is a beautiful pillow! LUcky you!

    SheilaC

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am now following your blog.

    Due to the bad weather (we here in Georgia had the storms the past two days, too) I couldn't tell if I was actually showing as a follower or not until now. I hope you weathered the storms well - we did fine but there is damage from a possible tornado just a few miles from here. Scary!

    Hope you are getting lots of quilting done - mine is on hold until my Bernina gets back from the shop (Boo hoo) :(

    If you ever have time visit my blog at
    karenstreehousequilts.blogspot.com
    It is just over a month old!

    Have a wonderful birthday and eat lots of cake!!!

    Peace, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a lovely surprise! That pillow is gorgeous!

    Those storms are no fun. Here in MN we had 60 MPH winds with snow too. ICK! Trees down all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  40. ohh what a beautiful pillow you recieved

    ReplyDelete
  41. You know we think we heard you all the way up here in Canada when you got that pillow!
    We had high winds here this week. Our house was rattling and we had garbage cans flying. It must be scary to live in an area where there is tornado's as more of a reality of happening.
    Your pillow looks great on the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh, what a beautiful pillow! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  43. Susan (susanlock@shaw.ca)October 28, 2010 at 8:24 PM

    that was really nice of Kerrie. You are so right I love her site for inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I Love the pillow! I was out in the weather, but holed up in a store til it passed over. Glad all is well at your house too.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I actually found you through Karrie's blog. One of her tidbit tuesday post. I have am also folowing you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Heard about the nasty weather, hope you made it through okay. Happy Birthday and thanks for the giveaway. I am a follower!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!