Friday, April 8, 2011

Can I get a Whoop-Whoop?? Family, and an Upcoming Challenge!

Hi, all!

Friday rolls around again - for those of you who work outside the home, I know you're glad to see the weekend!  We've had a tumultuous week here in Tennessee - after a gorgeous warm weekend, storms barreled through on Monday, causing lots of damage, and temperatures dropped into the 40's on Tuesday!  We're slowly getting warmer, and today it's supposed to be in the 70's.  Welcome to Tennessee weather - if you don't like it, just wait five minutes!

That cold weather does make it easier to stay inside and sew, though, so here's what I have to offer up for Whoop Whoop Friday.....


This quilt was pieced by my friend and fellow quilt-blogger Diane from fabric donated by Connie.  (I love Connie - she brought me a HUGE box of already-cut 5" squares that we have put to very good use - it's almost empty again!)  

This quilt is going to an older gentleman who travels with our church youth group when they go on mission trips - he and his wife cook for them, and the kids think of them as "grandma and grandpa"!  


And here's the back of the quilt - many of the kids in our youth group signed the back with well wishes for Mr. Tommy...













When I quilted this one, the word "family" kept cropping up in my mind - all of these kids consider Mr. Tommy to be part of their family!  So I quilted the word "family" in the quilt, and that's what I've named it.  

And here's one last shot, with my favorite little quilt model...

And that's my entry this week - can I get a Whoop Whoop?

But I have one more thing to talk about this week - 


...the Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge!  Judi from Green Fairy Quilts has joined with me to sponsor this challenge, and will be distributing the quilts to people in Romania as they take their annual charity trip there in the fall.  I hope you will all join me - it should be lots of fun and give us all an opportunity to contribute to a worthy cause!  Signups start this Sunday, and partners will be assigned next Friday.  You can read more about it here, and please pick up the button from my sidebar and help spread the word!  I'd love for us to just flood Judi with quilts for Romania!  And as an added incentive, there will be a giveaway at signup time, and another one when we show off the completed quilts!

And now - what have you been working on this week?  Link up and show us all!  Remember, you have until Saturday at midnight (CST) to link up!!

Later!

Sarah

5 comments:

  1. It looks homespun and very comfy. And what a treasure with all the messages on the back!
    Lilli's cracking me up with her twig:) It must be her magic wand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Tommy's going to love that quilt and all the love and special wishes that went into it. Nice job, and I love that you quilted family into it! Can Lili come pick up sticks in my yard? We had a lot come down after last week's hail. She's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful. I'm sure that your older gentleman will love it, especially with the well wishes of the kids on the back. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoop, Whoop! I'll bet that quilt will be a family heirloom. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah, I copied your Whoop Whoop! link but I am not sure what I need to do next. How/where to I put my name on the "link list" This is all new to me. I would like to be part of your Friday Celebrations. Thanks, Ann

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!