Friday, December 12, 2014

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? I Love Happy Endings….


Hi, all!

It's Friday again, and you know what that means - it's time for


I'm really excited about what I have to share with you today - but the story starts more than four years ago..

In October of 2010, a very young woman in our church named Katt was diagnosed for the second time with cancer.  A member of my Bible study group, she shared with us her fears and concerns for the future.  I wanted to make a quilt for her, something that fit her personality.  This girl was so modern and fun - she even had eyelashes on her Volkswagen Bug - that I wanted to try something really out of the box.  Thus was born "Not Your Grandmother's Flower Garden".


This quilt was my first attempt at appliqué.  The flowers are stitched onto a piece of 70" wide antique linen that my grandmother brought back from a trip to Ireland.


It was also my first major free motion quilting project.  There is a LOT of quilting on this one - echo quilting around the flowers, some detail work within them, fiddlehead ferns coming up from the ground, curls of breeze in the air, and sunshine from above.  It was a beast to quilt - at the time, I was using a domestic Singer with a very small throat!  


I love looking back at these pictures, made with the help of my then-nearly-three photography assistant, Lilli.  She's grown up so much since then!

But now, as they say, the rest of the story!

Last Saturday morning, December 6th, while the quilt ministry ladies were all celebrating Christmas at my house, the Mount Juliet Christmas parade was taking place just down the road.

The marchers in the parade were carrying a sign.


Katt's boyfriend had a special question for her!


And she said yes!


Don't you just love a happy ending?


So let's give Katt a big whoop whoop!!  

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

Have you had a "happy ending" this week?


What's got you dancing the happy dance?

Share - we want to dance right along with you!

Remember - it doesn't have to be a finish - 
Just something you're happy about!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight - 

Hope to see you there!!

Hugs!

Sarah

39 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone can top that for a Whoop, Whoop. What an a special story and Congratulations to Katt and her fiance. Love, love the quilt and the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely happy ending to dance about. ps - you put up an old linky code

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful quilt... and love the ending too! Your peekaboo helper did a great job too.. she might be Vanna in her future! lol Your linky isn't active though btw! Have a good weekend :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that story! Thanks for the morning smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt and a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas Sarah! I love this post and Lilli is growing up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt and story - Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful story and quilt! I went to high school with his mother and my oldest daughter went to school with him. Small world, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. how sweet - I can't come close to topping that. Merry Christmas to them and your family

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful story and your flower quilt was just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that was such a happy story that I'm sitting at my desk crying. I hate it when that happens. Thanks so much for sharing this terrific happy ending with us. Love the quilt and the happy go lucky assistant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy tears for Katt! Love, love that story! The pictures tell it well! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful ending to that story! The photo with the shadow of the little one on the quilt is just fabulous! What a treasure to remember all the way around!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing the beautiful story. I always enjoy your posts, especially when they feature a princess picture, but I think this might be my favorite. I'm sure I will have a new favorite when Nathaneal comes home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Sarah....you post inspired me to think more about having fun with my free motion quilting and left tears in my eyes with that happy story!!! THANKS for making my day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katt, you've got one amazing man there! Whoop whoop! Congratulations to the happy couple!

    Seriously, this made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great quilt and a great story!! A happy ending leading to a new begnning!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can it have been four years ago already that you made that quilt for Katt? Time flies! I'm so glad to see such a sweet, happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great happy ending! Thanks for sharing. Best wishes to the happy couple

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a wonderful story! Love happy endings and what a great way to get engaged!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very fun post! Love the pics - all of them! Congrats to your friend, Katt, and what a marvelous first FMQ quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WHOOP WHOOP and half for Katt! what a wonderful story! she must have been so surprised to receive a parade proposal!
    Sarah - that quilt is gorgeous! I am so amazed at your quilting -and would never have guessed that you did it on a regular old sewing machine and that you had just begun! Love it! I am sure that Katt does too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a great story! thank you. and the quilt is fabulous, so generous of you to gift it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You made my eyes leak in a very good way! Whoop Whoop, Katt!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful story with an unexpected and heart-warming ending... or beginning, I guess! Thank you for sharing this! Oh, and your quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the quilt! And it's a very happy post, but not an ENDING! Kat and James are just beginning

    ReplyDelete
  27. A whoop whoop to you both! Bless her heart and yours, too. If you were a novice at free-motion quilting at the time, I am way past impressed! Wow! Gives me hope. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A beautiful quilt and I loved the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, Sarah, thank you for sharing that wonderful story! I have a smile from ear to ear. What a tremendous job you did on that quilt!!!! That is love with a capital L. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. How wonderful - I just love a happy ending too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love seeing blog that understand the value.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!