Friday, March 2, 2018

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? Crushing Those Crescents!

Hi, all!

The week has flown by, and it's finally Friday again!  And you know what that means - it's time for us to get our whoop whoop on!  Spring always makes me want to start new projects, and I've got the beginning of one to share with you today - so let's get started!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

A few weeks ago, I received my copy of Christina Cameli's new book, Wedge Quilt Workshop.  Oh so many pretty quilts!!  I had a lot of fun in her wedge class at QuiltCon last year, so I knew it would be good, but this book is just loaded with great stuff!  


This quilt immediately caught my eye - I just love the clamshell look, especially because this one is appliquéd with no curved seams!  So I grabbed a fat quarter bundle of Make Life... by Sweetwater that I picked up from a friend's destash and started cutting wedges...


...and not too long after that, I had all the crescents sewn together!  But I had something a little different in mind for the background, so I set those to the side and grabbed some storage bins that had been sitting around my studio for way too long.


I've been saving old jeans for years, thinking I'd use them someday to make a quilt - and this seemed like the perfect time!  I went through all of these and cut a bunch of 6" x 18" strips from the legs.


Because they varied in cold from light to dark, I decided to arrange them with the light ones at the top and the dark at the bottom.  The lighting wasn't great today - blasted rain! - but you can see above what my background will look like.


Then, because I couldn't wait to see what it would look like, I laid all my crescents out on the background pieces - and I love it!  I think it's going to look spectacular when it's finished.  I've started sewing the background pieces together, but it should be done soon and then I get to start appliquéing the crescents on!  I'm not sure what I'll do as far as batting - it may be really heavy with all that denim - but I'll work that out later....

So - - - can I get a whoop whoop?

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's got you whooping it up this week?


What's making you do a little happy dance?

Share!  We want to dance right along with you,

And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight.

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah

45 comments:

  1. I just love everything you create, and this quilt top is no exception! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative!! Love the denim look. Will you use batting? What will you use for the backing? Now I've got another quilt to add to my Must Make list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is going to be a great quilt. You got those crescents done fast! Did you have to use a stabilizer with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I didn't mean to link that post to your party. Can you delete it?

      Delete
  4. Brilliant! The color gradation and the scrappy look on the denim is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love the effect of that!!!! I have denim I have been saving up for years to make a quilt with. Now the brain is buzzing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks really good - I wouldn't want to try to quilt through denim with my machine - but with your long arm I'm sure you can do it - this will be a heavy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quilt is going to look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - this is going to be a great quilt! The use of the denim ombre fade for the background is inspired, and really sets off the pieced arcs. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a potential prize-winner, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great way to use up the denim. I love, love, love your layout. With the bright colors of the arches it is awesome. Excellent call. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a brilliant idea! I love the color fade of the denims. Can't wait to see it done. Maybe a flannel for batting?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the denim background! That is going to be a fabulous-looking quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's an awesome pattern and how neat to use up the jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, when you decide to make something.... you do it. I admire your staying power to get it done. The clamshells will go wonderfully on the denim background. Yes, its gonna be a wrestle but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The background is perfect for this - fantastic choice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fantastic Sarah. I love how you get a stunning quilt every time whether it's from a special design with new fabric or using up donated leftovers. I've never considered using denim for a quilt, but I've seen a few around lately. Yours is definitely the bestest!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great concept and what a wonderful and thrifty use of your denim stockpile!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whoa, I love it! That background would make an awesome quilt by itself!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is going to be a great quilt! My Whoop! Whoop! won't be posted till I get back home. It's my new grandbaby. (Don't worry, I won't add it to the Whoop!, since it isn't quilting related).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done on the upcycled Jeans .I too have made a quilt using upcycled Jeans and for the batting I used a flannelette sheet. More than happy with the results since the denim is so heavy. Happy quilting .

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's great! Love the crescents and they will be super on the background, especially with the gradation.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, yess, I like what you are doing with the denim and the crescents.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, this is going to look really great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sarah, how about a layer of flannel instead of batting? Or just flannel on its own? Most of the old log cabins never used batting at all and were just tied because of the weight and seams. You could simply do tacking with your long arm here. It's going to be a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I love it! What a great idea to use your denim for that. Can't wait to see it finished. Thanks for all the pics and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I love it! Can't wait to see the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  27. that is going to be a wonderful quilt! And tempting to me......but I must keep repeating I've got enough on my plate this month.....lol.....

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jaw-dropping as always! You are one creative gal!! I look forward to every one of your posts. I am now in the process of making one of the stacked coin quilts that you featured about a week or so ago...I am so loving it!! It will be my first "official" charity quilt. Thanks for your inspiration and your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really like this one. I wonder if I have enough denim to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The arcs on the jeans look great! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have tons of old jeans from kids, grandkids and wherever I can grab them. Never thought of using them for a background! Super!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow that is an awesome quilt and way to use up the denim. I have similar bags and was waiting for a great idea...by jove! ;) Are you going to turn the cresents edges back or are you going to raw edge it or what?

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a fun, pretty quilt! And a great way to reuse all that denim. Anxious to see how heavy it ends up - nice and warm that way!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I agree. Your new project is going to be spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! I never would have thought of using the denim fabrics for a background. This quilt is going to be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  36. How clever! The gradation of the denims looks so cool with the clamshells. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am catching up on blogs! I got so behind with my brother moving in and trying to set him up in my condo.

    I am reading through your posts and had to comment on this one - I LOVE THIS!! the background is stupendous! What a great idea and it looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!