Friday, November 23, 2018

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? Another Use For Quilting Tools...

Hi, all!

Are you still in a turkey coma?  As I sit here writing this post on Thursday night, I'm struggling to stay awake - because of a busy week and a huge Thanksgiving dinner at my daughter's house, oh, and a very comfortable chair!  But the fact remains that it's Friday, and that means it's time for us to get our whoop whoop on - so let's get started!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

As I said, it's been a busy week, and I've been using my quilting tools - but not for quilting!  


These all came in very handy as my husband and I worked on finishing up the remodel of our kitchen and dining room - the backsplash!


Here's what it looked like before we started - a dark ThermoTile backsplash over dark granite tile counters.  As you can see, behind the ThermoTile was more knotty pine paneling.  My husband (bless him) ripped off all the ThermoTile, then we went to work scraping off the old glue.



Next up was putting up a nice flat backer board for the new tile to be installed on.  Old houses are so exciting to work with - the distance between counter and upper cabinet is not consistent anywhere!  But caulk is my friend.  Here you can see the tile we'll be installing.


Great product recommendation - we used Musselbound Adhesive Tile Mat to put up our tile instead of thinset.  I pressed it up over the backer board, then peeled off the liner and pressed the tile right into it.  Works like a charm, and so much easier and neater than thinset!  


See how nice this looks!  And once we found the right tool to cut tiles, filling in those little empty areas went quickly too!


And here it is, with all the new tile!  I still need to grout it (I've learned that getting old means crouching down to install backsplash is REALLY hard on your body!) but that's probably what I'll be working on today.  I'd rather do that than brave the Black Friday crowds any day!!  It's such a change - much brighter and more cheerful.  It will be nice to finish and get the kitchen put back together, although having to go out to dinner most of the time isn't so bad.

So - - - can I get a whoop whoop?

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's making you whoop it up this week?


What's making you do a little happy dance?

Share!  We want to dance right along with you,

And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight.

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah


13 comments:

  1. the kitchen looks good - I so hear you about old houses as we have one too and every time we do remodeling we find we can not just cut a lot of pieces in advance of things as it doesn't work that way - walls are crooked, windows go in slightly off, makes a person want to scream at times - but you live with it or sell and move

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new backsplash looks great. I love when my tools come in handy for other uses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha-I used my quilting tools to do my tiles also!!!!
    The new tiles look wonderful! Yes, caulk is your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really believe there is a thin line between carpenters and quilters -- a difference in material, but a lot of the methods are the same. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your back splash looks great! That is something I really want to do in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not in a turkey coma (we celebrate Thanksgiving in October), but I haven't accomplished anything tonight. It's been a loooooooooooong work week, and my body needed a break. Good luck with the rest of the remodel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That new tile really brightened up your kitchen. Looks great!! I understand about how the body works as we get older. We don't do nearly as many do-it-yourself projects as we used to!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your remodeling efforts put me to shame. We also have an old house (100 yrs) and it needs a lot of work, but my husband is hopeless in the repair/remodel department and I'm not much better. It's really hard to find affordable help as well. I really to need to do some painting though.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's looking really good, Sarah! I love those little brick tiles :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that new back splash really livens things up - perfect! You'll certainly enjoy this new look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great! It's much lighter and brighter now... and amazing how quilting tools come in handy for other things!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE your new backsplash! I'm hoping that I'll be doing a happy dance next week for the very same reason!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great backsplash - and always good to find new uses for our tools.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!