Wednesday, November 17, 2021

I May Have A Scrap Problem.... Gratitude is Finished!

 

Hi, all!

I am definitely dancing a happy dance right now, because my Gratitude quilt is completely finished!!!



If this is the first time you've seen this quilt, here's a bit of its history.  I read about Amy Smart's Gratitude quilt on her blog (the pattern is free until the end of November!!) and immediately knew I'd need to make one.  Then my husband gave me a bunch of his old shirts to cut up for the fabric, and an idea was born!  So I gathered up a few more shirts and cut away.  Every piece of fabric in the front is made from men's shirts.....


...and so is every piece in the back!  I used all the extra 10" squares I had cut to make this back, and it really makes this quilt completely reversible!  But even better....


...the backs of two shirts yielded enough fabric to put a scrappy binding on this quilt, too!  So every piece of fabric in this quilt came from men's shirts that would have gone to Goodwill, and I have a big stack of 5" squares left over for another quilt.  I made some adaptations to Amy's pattern, creating a plus block that has four different fabrics in the corners, and I changed my border to the piano key border to utilize the leftover pieces.

So, have you ever used shirts for fabric to make a quilt?  

Hugs!

Sarah 

6 comments:

  1. I love your quilt...just perfect! Yes, I often use shirts to make quilts, and love that process...isn't the thrift shop so much fun??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes I have used shirts for fabric to make a quilt - but not the entire quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out great. Both sides are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this turned out beautifully and the pieced back is an ingenious idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just lovely. I would never have guessed it was made from shirts. Looks like carefully curated plaids and stripes to me! Also looks very cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love everything about your gratitude quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!