Friday, November 12, 2010

Sew&Tell Friday - Dr. Seuss Revealed!

dr. seuss Pictures, Images and Photos

Hi, all!

Some of you may have seen the teaser of the Dr. Seuss quilt I showed earlier this week.  I promised a full post about that quilt, and here it is!


This quilt has an interesting story.  Last Tuesday in my blogpost I happened to mention in passing that I had received a request for a quilt for a 2-year old girl who had just been diagnosed with leukemia, and that I was off to look for the perfect toddler fabric.  Not long after that, I received an e-mail from Cathy at Wondrous Woven Fabrics saying that she would send me some Dr. Seuss fat quarters for this quilt.  Wow!  Friday rolls around, and there's a lovely squishie in the mail, with Dr. Seuss fat quarters and some solids from Cathy's stash!

Using Crazy Quilt Mom's Fair & Square pattern and adapting it a little bit to make it square, I paired the Dr. Seuss prints with Kona Snow to make the front of this quilt.  By the way, this pattern works up really quickly, both cutting and sewing - great for a quick gift!!

Then came the back.  I still had large pieces of the Dr. Seuss fabrics left, so I cut 10 1/2" squares, working in some orange, green and yellow from my stash to fill out the spaces.


I love this back - it's so bright and cheerful, and very different from the front. Really gives two quilts for one!!

Then on to quilting.......  Because of the way this quilt is laid out, I had to think creatively!  I wasn't sure I was happy with the starkness of the white, so I pulled some shiny caribbean blue thread out of my stash and quilted in the white strips and squares.  Those ended up being mostly vertical stitching lines.  After doing that, I liked the look, but wasn't sure that it had enough quilting to stand up under lots of use, so I threaded white into the machine and did cross-wise organic lines.  I think it really gives it a Dr. Seuss-y look, don't you?



My granddaughter saw this quilt after it was done and immediately started picking out her favorite Dr. Seuss characters.  She was very concerned about where this quilt was going and asked me lots of questions about the little girl in the hospital.  From her reaction, I think this quilt will be a big hit with its recipient!  I just hope it brings a little brightness and comfort into her day......  ;-)

So that's my finish for Sew & Tell Friday this week!  I hope you like it as much as I do!!  Be sure to check out the other great finishes on Amy's blog!!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Sarah

28 comments:

  1. How sweet and generous of you and the donation of the fabrics! I LOVE, LOVE this quilt, the story behind it and your hard work! I will be praying for the little one :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! And I'm sure she will too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt! the wavy quilting lines are perfecto!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. crying. :(

    Thank you for making a great quilt!

    shoot... still crying. I can't imagine!

    Love and prayers and love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from Sew and Tell! Awesome job on the quilt! I love it!!!
    carla louise
    www.ohsewaddicted.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, Love, Love this quilt!!! It is so bright & fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of those quilts that just makes me want to jump up and down and squeal with delight! (And then go read all my favorite Dr. Seuss books...) It's SO fun! You definitely gave it the Dr. Seuss vibe with the quilting, both in the blue straight-line and the curvy crossways quilting. I hope it brings a smile to the recipient and that she has a good recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful quilt. I'm sure the girl will be so excited to cuddle up in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful quilt, and your machine quilting i just perfect!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the fabrics~and such a sweet quilt story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How I love that the thing we love to do can bring cheer and comfort to someone in need! The quilt is really so cheerful and bright, there's just nothing better that this quilt will do than to bring cheer to a little one who needs it!!!! Great job putting it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Love this quilt, and every time I read about it, I start to smile and cry a little at the same time. I absolutely love the generosity of this online community!!

    ~ Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that looks fabulous Sarah. What a fun and funky quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great quilt for a little one. You did a beautiful job. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quilt is going to be well received I think! You rock lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful thing to sew for that little girl! I really enjoyed the Dr. Seuss fabrics, and I like what you did with the back. So colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is going to be so loved by this little tiny girl that it is going to. you are so amazing to make these all of the time. brightening up some of life's worse moments. it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW ; it's great . You will brighten the little girl's world with this beauty ! NICE job ! You're a blessing to many people .

    ReplyDelete
  19. *swoon*

    You already know I love the quilt....but your quilting....i wanna be like you when I grow up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful quilt, Sarah! I have no doubt the recipient will enjoy looking at it as much as your grand-daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your quilt looks great on both sides! And I love the organic quilting on it. She'll absolutely cherish it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great quilt and even better story! I'm sure the little girl will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love everything about this quilt! The fabric the quilting and the wonderful story! She will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great quilt and what a great story! If you want to make any other quilts for kids in need and donate them locally, (or even want to link this one up next week) for our 100 Quilts for Christmas, we'd love to have you. kate www.swimbikequilt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the sweetest quilt and story ever! What a treasure for this little girl.... I just love the fabrics and colors. So cheerful and fun! And, the quilting is perfect! I love the wavy lines that you added.....it is very Dr. Seuss like!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very cute and what a great story. I do really like the organic quilting on this quilt. Yes, very Dr. Seuss!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!