Friday, November 25, 2016

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? Annual Quilt #1 Finished!

Hi, all!

Wow!  Friday is here already - are you still in a turkey coma from yesterday's festivities?  It's time to get our whoop-whoop on!! I hope you'll take a few minutes this weekend to share your own whoop whoops - try to fit it in amidst all the bargain hunting and leftover-eating!  Let's get started!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*


I was so excited to get the binding on Lilli's annual quilt Thursday morning before we headed out for Thanksgiving feasting!


This year I told her, since she was going to be nine, that she could pick out her own fabric and pattern for her annual quilt if she wanted.  She answered that all she wanted was a photo quilt (she really liked the one I made for her mom's birthday) because she wanted to remember what she was like "when she was a little girl"!


Half the fun of making this quilt was going through my old photographs and picking out my absolute favorites...


...like that bottom pic where she was my photography assistant...


...remembering special fun times we've had together...


Look at how much she's grown!


That picture on the right cracks me up - she wouldn't go outside that spring without her raincoat and rainboots on, and she carried around that metal lizard everywhere - because it matched her raincoat!


And this picture just makes me smile - 
It captures her personality perfectly!

Now, I know many of you are wondering what an annual quilt is.  When Lilli turned two, I had just started quilting, and decided to make her a quilt.  She was really into tracing her hand that year, so I traced her hand onto felt and used it as a label.  The next year, I decided to continue the tradition and made her another quilt that reflected what she was like in the year she was three.  It's become a tradition, and one that's grown to the other two grandchildren, too!  It definitely keeps me on my toes, but it's a lot of fun... The labels on each year's quilt tell a little bit about what each child was like and what they liked to do.  I love to think of their own children looking at them someday and trying to imagine their parents at that age!

So - - - can I get a whoop whoop?

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's got you whooping it up this week?


What's making you dance a little happy dance?

Share - we want to dance right along with you - 
And it's always more fun to celebrate with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight -
Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah

32 comments:

  1. What a sweet tradition! You are one special grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a neat idea! I wish I had been quilting when my kids were growing up. Way to go grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea to create memories!
    Cheers,
    Emese

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever quilt! So bright and beautiful. I'm sure she's going to love it! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. These quilts are real treasures for your grandchildren. And you get to enjoy making them! Gretchen villacrestfarm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quilt will be a great treasure. I can see you make many more for future Christmases.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the love in that quilt is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sweet quilt - your GD is sure to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful tradition! (And wonderful quilt!!) If I am blessed with grandchildren, I'm going to remember this. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Sarah!!!!!!!! Oh yours is a fantastic finish that will be cherished!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An annual quilt for each of your grandchildren is a BIG undertaking. Lilli's 2016 quilt turned out GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a treasure! I think that's one of my favorites you've ever done. Lily is such a lucky girl to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is such a beautiful quilt and keepsake. She is so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trying again to post, so sorry if it comes up twice! Love the quilt for Lillie, and it inspires me to make a photo quilt for Lucy, my only grandchild. And she loves lizards, too! I made a quilt with her first-year clothing; even that made her smile big. But I think she would like the photos even better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweetie! And her quilt is delightful too. That reindeer made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic quilt Sarah. I particularly love the photo where you have a butterfly of the surrounding fabric 'perched' on Lilli's head! Great memories indeed. They grow much too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great quilt for Lily. I'm sure she will treasure it forever. I love the wild variety of fabrics you used to sash the photos. Your annual quilts are a lovely tradition. With 9 grandchildren, I would never be able to keep it up. They all got toddler quilts and now it's time for me to start on a new set as the oldest turns 16 on Dec. 1. There are two sets of twins so this will take some careful planning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the photos within the squares. What technique did you use for transferring the photos to fabric. The photos are so clear. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet memory quilt. Love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like, I like. One down tow more to go!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lily's quilt is such a treasure, she's going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lilli's quilt is wonderful! What a character she is :) Your grandmotherly heart must just be filled with love for those super grandkids of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are one amazing quilting grandma!!! What treasures--the quilts and the grands!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a smart grandma to think of such a wonderful tradition to start in your family. Your granddaughter will love it and maybe start one when she is married with kids. She is such a pretty little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow that came out great! A friend of mine called me about making a picture quilt and her main concern was the washing. Is there a way to wash the quilt without ruining the pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sarah, LOVE your annual quilt! It's such a wonderful thing you are doing for your grandchildren! I'd love to do one annually for each but we are up to 8 grandchildren so I have decided to set some limits. Each get one when they are born, they get to pick from my scrap squares around age 2-3 for a fun scrappy quilt and this year the oldest is 6 so I thought that was the right time and age to pick the theme for a new one. Isn't sewing for grandkids the greatest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I Love it! I love that she wanted to remember her as a little girl - precious!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I will give you a double woop-woop, it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a lovely tradition you have started! certainly worthy of a whoop whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Double whoop-whoop! this is a precious quilt. What a wonderful idea. What a wonderful grandma you are.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!