Wednesday, December 28, 2016

I May Have a Scrap Problem... The Year in Review!

Hi, all!

As we draw closer to the end of the year, I think we all want to think about what we've accomplished for the year.  So today, let's look back at what's happened since I acknowledged I have a (serious) scrap problem....


I think this is my favorite scrappy creation of the year - it is the annual quilt I made for my eldest granddaughter, who, at age 9, wanted a photo quilt so she could remember what she was like "when she was little"!




I also made four of these beach blankets using the leftover t-shirt pieces from t-shirt quilts.  And I sold all four of them!


I made this quilt using Lara Buccella's Crafted Appliqué method...


...then used the leftover orange peel pieces to make this one!


I raided the green scrap bin and added some vintage linen for this quilt...


...raided the orphan block bin for this one...


...and raided the leftover binding bin for this one!


This quilt was made with 1x2 and 2x4 bricks.

 

I've got a stack of string blocks waiting for some friends to join them so they can be made into a quilt top.


I made a set of letters for my grandkids, and another set for a friend...


...a chair pad and pillow from my plaid scraps...


...and these placemats from my black and white scraps!


Oh, and here's the first scrappy quilt I made as part of this project - my scrappy bow ties!

It's been a fun project and definitely one I'll keep up in the coming year.  Even though I didn't get all my scraps cut up and organized like I planned, I certainly made a dent in them!  And I've also gained a more scrappy mindset - I find I'm less likely to buy new fabric because I know I have so much waiting to be sewn up already, and I'm enjoying using my scraps to make new, fun creations.  So I'm calling it a success!

How about you?  Are you feeling better about your own little scrap monster?  

Come back next week and share your scrappy goals for the year!

Hugs!

Sarah

22 comments:

  1. I loved looking at all you've accomplished this year with your scraps, but I'm hanging my head in shame for myself. I have made new purchases when I should have slapped my hand, but it was ON SALE--haha! Can't resist a sale. However, thanks to you I've organized my scraps into bins & boxes this year so now I just need to camp out in my sewing room for the winter & make some kits for projects that I can easily grab & sew. Thanks for all the inspiration you give me, Sarah, and happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very inspiring. I would love to figure out how to organize my scraps and then turn them into beautiful quilts like you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful year Sarah. All of your quilts are beautiful. I love scraps and scrappy quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a magnificent job my girl!! My kind of quilting and quilts. I was hoping you would continue this one on into the next year and will be joining you on the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good grief, Sarah, that's fabulous. I count 17 just in the scrap quilts...do you have a round figure of how many quilts you've made this year?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, this is so inspiring! We don't have to make those perfect pattern quilts. Look at these beautiful quilts! Thanks for sharing, and inspiring. I need to quit making excuses and start getting some quilts made.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your scrappy quilts! I am so inspired. Scrappy quilts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love scrappy quilts. This year I made a few baby quilt and lots of pouches and cushions. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of scraps found a beautiful use this year, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I give you credit for finally making me tackle the scrap problem here, most of it is sorted by color and that was huge and makes scrapping so much easier. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You absolutely inspired me this year! My jumbled scraps are now six scrappy quilt tops! https://whatsnextma.blogspot.com/2016/12/accomplishments-review-of-2016.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  12. such an accomplishment! thank you for sharing your year in review

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your posts and the scrap quilts inspired me this past year. I learned so much! My favorite quilt is the one I made with the random scraps cut into 2 1/2 inch strips. Cutting scraps into usable pieces as I work on other quilts have yielded wonderful scrap quilt gem! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah, thanks for sharing your 2016 review. It is so nice to see them all again in one place. Looking forward to your posts in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your successful scrap wrangling in 2016! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your scraps in 2017. Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely group of projects! Very inspiring for this coming year of using up scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lots of inspiration here! I'm looking forward to following you in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a scrap problem too, but wow, I need to do more than just look at them it seems. I have been thinking about the orphan blocks though. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a tour de force! You've made so many beautiful and scrappy quilt, I'm poleaxed. I'd say you've got that monster tamed. A great inspiration for us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well I pretty much spend the whole year making scraps because I have to design 25 quilts before june 2017 (ahhhhhhhh) so hopefully 2017 is the year when I actually tackle my scraps!!! If I don't, they will find my body under a mountain of scraps

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a super summary of your scrappy projects! Isn't it amazing what we can make from "leftovers"?

    What I learned this year is that my scrap monster is a shifty beast, always taking on new forms and sizes. So I've vowed to be more flexible in how I store my scraps. No more buying new containers! Instead I'll keep resorting things into the containers I already have, or into repurposed Kleenex boxes. After last week's humdinger of a cold, I've got a new batch of those, alas :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've always loved scrap quilts best, probably because I grew up with them. And I really enjoy seeing what you've dreamed up. Those two things have both encouraged & challenged me to work towards being a better scrap quilt maker. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!