Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What's Cookin' At The Sweatshop?


Hi, all!

It has been a great week at The Sweatshop!!  We had our monthly meeting last Saturday, and had eighteen ladies working on learning how to make t-shirt quilts!  We made a good start, and plan to meet again on the 23rd to finish our tops.  It was a great time of fun learning and fellowship!!

We've also given away a few quilts this week...


The front...


...and the back.

This pretty quilt front was pieced by Brooke and Heather; I put the back together using leftover blocks they pieced.  It went to a young couple who just lost a baby, and is already being put to good use providing some comfort and a reminder of prayers that are being said for them.

We also made a couple of baby quilts for babies that are due in February...



These will be delivered as soon as those little bundles of joy arrive!

We've also received some wonderful donations...

These came from Kim...
And these came from Dana...
Maia sent these pretties...

Terri sent these red fabrics in honor
of Valentine's Day!
And Mina sent these!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Last week, when I mentioned that we would be helping a young woman make bags for foster kids to carry their belongings in when they move from home to home, many of you requested more information on the bags so you could help.  You all are amazing!!  I am always humbled by how generous the quilting/blogging community is.  I have prepared a tutorial for this bag...


...but since this post is pretty long already, if you will leave a request for the tutorial in a comment, I will gladly e-mail you the pdf file.  It's really a pretty simple bag, but it holds a lot!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Oh, and one more thing - we received another hand block this week for the Helping Hands Project!!


This one came from Mina!

I am loving how individual each block is - it's fun to see the personalities of each block creator!  I hope you'll send in a block for the project, if you've ever made a donation to the quilt ministry, or made a quilt for the Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge.  We have given away 444 quilts so far - looks like we'll hit the 500 mark in June or so!  If you want to know more about the project, you can click the tab at the top of my blog.

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Well, that's about all for this week - thanks again to all of you who help make this ministry possible!!  We couldn't do it without you!!

Hugs!

Sarah

NOTE:  Juliana, I'd love to send you the tutorial but you are a no-reply blogger.  You can email me directly at salliesue at clearwire dot net!

19 comments:

  1. I would like the bag tutorial. This sounds like a great way to care about kids who need a good moment in their lives.
    Juliana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like the bag tutorial. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also like the bag tutorial!! What a great idea and a different way to contribute to kids in crisis. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What generous friends you have. I am impressed with all the quilts that you have made and donated. It is wonderful to know that there are such good people around this country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You all do amazing work! I would love the bag pattern...I'll get busy making some for the children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of great donations Sarah:) Such a fantastic ministry you do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like the bag tutorial please! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quilts. I would love the bag tutorial. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love looking at all the quilts you complete! I would love the bag pattern. Helping kids is always so rewarding! Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to have the bag pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  11. please email the bag pattern to me too....thanks and Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful quilts : )
    I would like a copy of the bag tutorial. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please, Sarah, send me the tutorial bag email. I think they woud be fun to make.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to have the tutorial for the bag. Also where can I send them when they are done??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please send me the PDF of the bag pattern. Thanks for doing this for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would like the bag tutorial. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phoenix Modern Quilt Guild is making bags for the police officers to keep in their cars for kids in crisis (being moved from home to somewhere else). We have a sew in tomorrow. Our bags our simpler than this but I would love the pattern anyway. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm also involved in sewing bags for a children's charity, and would love to have your pattern to offer as an alternative. Thanks so much. I always enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sarah, thank you so much for writing this up for us. I would love to make some bags to donate. Please email the pdf and I will get started.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!