Monday, February 27, 2017

Make-A-List Monday - Back To The Real World!!

Hi, all!

Wow!  My week at QuiltCon is over, and oh, what a week it was!  So much fun, and I've got lots to share, but I'll spread it out over the week.  Here's a little peek at what went on, and then I'll share my list for the week...

It started out like this - - - standing in a long line at 8 am on Thursday morning to check in before my first class...


...and - - - SUCCESS!


My first class was with Angela Walters, learning how to use rulers on the long-arm.  It was a great class, and Angela is a really good teacher.  What a rockstar - but one cool lady too!

I REALLY wish my eyes were open!

After my morning class, I had a chance to wander around the hall and look at some of the many beautiful quilts that were entered in the competition.  Here's a few of them...


This quilt won the People's Choice award!  It was totally amazing...


And this was my favorite quilt in the "nine-patch" section - I thought it was just so creative!


The thread painting on this quilt was so amazing - very minimal piecing, but the quilting really made this quilt!


Here's another one where the quilting really stands out!  I love the combination of matchstick quilting and hand quilting!


This quilt really IS a "Stunning Star", isn't it?  Love those quilted circles in the background...

Thursday evening I had a class with Christa Watson, quilting with a walking foot on a domestic machine. The class focused on spirals and swirls and was so great, I completely forgot to take any pictures!  I was getting pretty worn out by the end of the class...

Then Friday rolled around!  This was my day to meet up with people, and it started out with a total geek out...


I got to meet Kate Spain!!  I did manage not to totally geek out, for which I am eternally grateful...  Kate is another person who is just so sweet and real, we had a great meet-up!!


It was also pretty cool to get to meet her husband Pete, who I've exchanged emails with in the past.  He's really neat too!!


Mot of the times I met up with people, I got so excited talking to them that I forgot to take pictures - but here's one of me, Mel and Tirzah!  It was awesome to meet everyone in real life, although unfortunately there were a few folks I didn't get to connect with.  Oh well - there's always next time!

Saturday was another class day - two classes, both with Christina Cameli of A Few Scraps.  I took her Wedge Play class all day Saturday, and it was so much fun!  You'll be seeing the results of that class pretty soon...


Christina is really sweet and so much fun as a teacher!  We sat around on the floor for instructions and passed samples around, then played on our sewing machines all day!  Exciting news, too - she's got a new book coming out in November, which will be more about her Wedge Play quilts!


During the two-hour lunch break, we sat out on the grass by the river and watched the big container ships go by.  I was eating with Christina and Jack (short for Jacqueline) and it was so funny when this ship went by - we all three said, "Wow, there's a quilt in that!"  The colors were just beautiful!


I also got to take Christina's Wild Quilting class - and I found out that I am horribly rusty at free-motion quilting on a domestic machine!  But the class was a great learning experience, and I'll be able to translate a lot of what I learned to the long arm.

All in all, I had such an awesome time at QuiltCon!  I'll share more pictures during the week, but I don't want to bore you too much right now!

And now here's my list of to-do's for this week...

1.  Put together the final Stunning Stars quilt (which is also a baby quilt for a gift!)

2.  Write the tutorial for that quilt.

3.  Cut out a shirt for Nathanael.

4.  Start working on projects for the next secret sewing for Free Spirit Fabrics!

5.  Finish up my Wedge Play project.

6.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that come up.

I'm going to keep it short this week because I've got to get the last Stuning Stars quilt finished for this coming Sunday and two weeks from today is the reveal of the new secret project for Free Spirit - and there's a lot to do between now and then!!

So now the question is - - - what are YOU working on this week? 

Hugs!

Sarah

20 comments:

  1. It was fun to follow your Quilt Con adventures on IG. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had alot of fun. I've never been to any of the big quilt shows, so I enjoy seeing posts of highlights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I especially love seeing the quilts that were on display at QuiltCon. And your classes! Such a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful time you had and some beautiful quilts, also envious of your meeting Christina I bought her step by step free motion quilting book on friday and also Christa one of her books helped me so much to start the quilting process I used to get to the flimsy stage and no more but with her help have quilted 9 this year. Loving the nine patch quilt what imagination

    ReplyDelete
  5. A week, wow, you must have been exhausted at the end of each day after classes, but what a fab time. meeting others, and learning so much. I'll wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you had a great time! I managed to get the wedding quilt quilted on Saturday and I got the binding is made and sewn on to the top last night. It is ready for hand stitching. I still have the pillowcases to make and hope to do that this weekend. Then it will be ready to make the trip to Florida for the big day.
    Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love reading your blog, Sarah! I wish I had met you during Quilt Con. Wasn't it so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some week. Wow. This week will seem rather dull and sleepy compared to that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like you had fun and met up with a lot of neat people

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tirzah and I really enjoyed meeting you! We had a blast. :) I simply adore the "smoke" quilt (the white on black). Lucky you got to stay longer than we did! Did you get to wander around Savannah much?

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are quilts I had not seen yet. The nine patch is great, very creative. I agree on the quilt with the combo of hand and machine quilting. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Lincoln quilt!! LOVE it. Thanks for sharing these fabulous quilts. I sure would love to go to Quilt Con some time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I often see quilt colors and patterns in container ships, too! But the one in your photo just made me say, dang that one has a lot of rust!! Since we're in the shop getting painted because of rust, I'm a little obsessed about that right now! :)

    This week I'm piecing a really pretty Chong A Hwang panel top. The fabrics are so luxurious with all the metallic accents! I have no pressing need for this top, I just wanted to play with the pretties.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SEW sorry that I missed meeting you at QuiltCon. Looks like you had a FABULOUS time!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sarah, it was so great to meet up with you at QuiltCon! I had a wonderful time and I just posted about it today. I came home with a dreadful head cold and spent the rest of Sunday & all of Monday on the couch :-( Thankfully I'm starting to feel better today! Here's my post:
    https://artisticsharon1216.wordpress.com/2017/02/28/a-couple-of-days-late/

    My list this week: finish quilting the Halloween quilt and make 2 more dogs for the Doggie commission quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you had a great time! I bet you learned a lot from those amazing teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wait, YOU were in Wedge Play?? So was I! How did I miss you? I am sure I would recognize you by your wedges, weren't they all great? Can't wait to see yours (again).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a wonderful time!

    My tasks for this week are to work on a quilted pouch for my sister's birthday and a baby quilt commission. Much to do!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not sure how I missed this post, wow you could not bore me with Quilt Con pix-more more more!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's fun to read someone else's experience at the same show I went to. During our lunches, we didn't see any container ships, but we watched the ferry go back and forth. Maybe we were on different sides of the island! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!