Friday, August 27, 2021

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? Let's Hear It For Emily's New Book!

 

Hi, all!

Can you believe it's the last Friday in August already?  This year is just flying by - but Friday means that it's time for us to get our whoop whoop on, so I hope you're ready!  Let's go!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

As you all know, I may have a slight scrap problem.  After all, fabric is expensive, so we don't really want to throw even the leftovers away!  But mine are starting take over the studio...

...and I really need to find a way to use them - because they aren't doing anyone any good just stacked in bins!  Well, last week I was contacted by Emily Bailey of Em's Scrap Bag about her new book...


...and she wanted to know if I would be interested in reviewing her new book, Crumb Quilts, on my blog.  Well heck yeah!  I've known Emily for probably close to ten years.  I love her blog, and all of her scrappy endeavors, and her giving heart (she's the driving force behind Quilty Hugs for Happy Chemo, one of our annual charities for Hands2Help) so of course I was willing to help.

As you can tell by the title, this book deals with using crumbs - those bits and scraps, even the smallest ones, left when a quilting project is completed.  Using crumbs means that there's almost no waste involved, which is a great thing!  After all, with fabric costing upwards of $12 a yard sometimes, it doesn't take much in the way of scraps to add up to a good chunk of change.  If you don't believe me, take some of your scraps and weigh them.  A yard of fabric weighs about 5.3 ounces.  How many yards are in that pile of fabric?  See what I mean?


Emily's book has great instructions (with photographs) to show you how to create crumb "fabric", and then she shares fifteen projects to inspire you to make and use your own crumb fabric!  I mean, just look at that quilt above - doesn't it just sparkle?  And I have quite a stash of black and white fabrics just gathering dust.....


But when I saw this picture, I fell in love!  I'm not a huge fan of appliqué, but those leaves!  (Can you tell I'm in the mood for a little fall weather and changing leaves?)  So I looked further on in the book to see what the whole quilt looked like...


...and wow, it didn't disappoint!  I'm definitely adding this quilt to my future sewing plans.  What a scrap buster!

So I think it's easy to see that I really....


...this book!   Small projects, big projects, there's something for everyone - because hey, we all have scraps, don't we?  Emily's book will be released on September 14, 2021, but you can pre-order it right now on Amazon and if the price drops, they'll adjust your charge accordingly.  And then you too can enjoy this beautiful book and use up those scraps!

So let's give Emily a big whoop whoop for a job well done!

Whoop whoop!!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's got you whooping it up this week?


What's making you do a little happy dance?

Share!  We want to dance right along with you,

And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight.

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah


9 comments:

  1. I really love that pillow! Great Book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've certainly got enough fabric for a project or two from her book! The leaves hit me in the sweet spot, too; I think it is because we are ready for Fall!!! Lovely glimpses from her book-thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how much yardage those little scraps add up to. I've added the book to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love scrapquilt, and I can’t throw small scraps out too. Here in the Netherlands we pay $ 25,- per meter (1,09 yard), though the plain whites are $15,- per meter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish fabric was only $12. Try $22 - $25 a METER. Not even a yard! It is so expensive here in Canada. I would love that book. I've been making crumb blocks for ages. Love the pictures you shared. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness, I so NEED this book! I've been slicing up my smaller scraps to stuff in a pillowcase for a pet bed, but I may have just made my last one! I ordered it! Thanks for letting us know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right -- we pay for all the fabrics not just that which gets into the finished quilts. I've been trying to use more of my scraps but it isn't making much of a dent. At some point I'm going to need to toss some of the little bits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve pre-ordered Emily’s book! Can I wait til September 14 th? I’ll have roo! I’m trying to be patient and get some pending projects finished up! Then I can dig in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm focused on finishing two tops... then I'll start something new. I love those projects you shared from Emily's book. I don't usually save really small pieces of fabric but I was gifted a bag of scraps of all sizes so I may just have to get her book and work through that bag!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!