Friday, May 27, 2011

Can I get a Whoop-Whoop?? Another one that reminds me of Hawaii...

Hi, all!


Friday again, already??  Well, I can tell I'm not going to be getting as much done this summer - but I'm going to have fun with my granddaughter!  Right now she's having a sack race with the dog, using the dry cleaning bag as her sack....  there's never a dull moment with Miss Lilli in the house!  Oh wait, now the bag's a sleeping bag....




And here's my finish for the week - Maui Sunsets.   When we went to Maui a few years ago, the place we stayed had beautiful areas set aside to sit on a chaise lounge and look at the ocean.  Lined with Bermuda grass and palm trees, hibiscus bushes and other beautiful native Hawaiian plants, you could sit and watch the sunset every day.  The colors in this quilt remind me of that - the green of the vegetation and the pink and orange of the glorious sunsets!  This completed top and backing material were donated to the quilt ministry by the wonderful Staci Payne over at The Confused Quilter.  She made up the top, then decided she just didn't like it at all (you can read her post about it here) so she asked if we would be willing to take it off her hands and finish it up for charity.  




And look at that beautiful backing material!  She tells me it isn't really hand-dyed, although it sure look like it - and it sewed up like a dream.  So Staci, thanks so much for this gorgeous WIP - it's going to get a very good home with a young mother who just had surgery for thyroid cancer and will be undergoing radiation treatments.  This is sure to brighten up her days!!


I also did one little thing this week - a block to send to a friend....



This is the first time I've tried the blanket stitch stitch on my sewing machine, and I'm very impressed - much better than I could have done by hand!

So now - what have you worked on this week?  Remember, it doesn't have to be a finish - so show off!  We're all dying to see what you've done!!  You've got until Saturday midnight to link up.  


Later!


Sarah


12 comments:

  1. Sarah, your quilt and your heart block are gorgeous! I'm not sure I'll be able to get to a heart block, but maybe...
    and I hope it's okay that my Friday finish is not a quilt. This project took a lot of improvising and trusting it would all come together according to my vision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! I love the fabric you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two great projects, Sarah! Nice job with the blanket stitching.
    I have absolutely nothing to report except for a lawn that is mowed and a house that's a little cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous quilt!!!! I wish I had seen your Hawaiian quilts before I made my granddaughter's quilt. (But then, I did make it to her specifications, so I might not have been able to do much differently.) Love the colors and the backing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In love with that heart block, machine decorative stitches are great aren't they. I did some on that baseball quilt for my brother which I will show off real soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on your first time with the blanket stitch, you look like a pro to me! Very cute, what a lucky friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok the quilt is stunning and I saw the heart block over on the Flickr page…… The sack race sounds fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fabulous quilt! And the name is perfect :-) My Whoop Whoop this week isn't exactly finishing a project, but it should help in getting more Whoops! in the future, hee hee. The block you made is wonderful, sure to make your friend smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah--Thank you again for taking this flimsy off my hands and turning it in a wonderful quilt! I'm glad it is going to a good home. You are a wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Machine blanket stitching is my favorite stitch. It's so fast and easy. Love your quilt colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful quilt, can't believe someone didn't like that! And you block is just beautiful. I LOVE the blanket stitch for applique, goes so fast and looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this quilt is like a tropical breeze. Love it. So, since I have to get something done by tomorrow, I better go sew and dust off Bernie (she's my cat, my Bernina & my longarm). Easier to remember!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!