Friday, May 20, 2011

Can I get a Whoop-Whoop?? Maluhia.... Peaceful, Restful, Tranquil...



Hi, all!


I hope you've had a great week - I know I've spent a lot of time looking at all the beautiful quilts on the Blogger's Quilt Festival and getting lots of inspiration there!!  And here's another chance to inspire and be inspired - it's time to link up for Whoop Whoop Friday!  I hope you're ready......  Here's my whoop whoop for the week....


"Maluhia"

Maluhia means peaceful, restful, or tranquil in Hawaiian, and it felt like a really appropriate name for this quilt.  The front is a mix of Hawaiian themed fabrics I ordered from GotFabric.com, which has a great selection of fabrics and a fabulous website, including a virtual design wall so you can see all your fabrics together!  I first saw this design on Shiner's View - Lisa designed a great quilt and it was perfect for these fabrics.


Maluhia will be going to a man that my husband works with.    He lived in Hawaii for many years and loves all things Hawaiian.  Since he was recently diagnosed with cancer, this quilt is a way for us to help the people he works with show their love and concern for him.  

The back is signed by his co-workers - their expressions of encouragement and hope are heartwarming!  But after I finished quilting it, the back still looked a little bare.  So I called an artist friend of mine who lived in Hawaii for many years and does a lot of beautiful paintings of the islands.  She added some Hawaiian flowers to the back of the quilt... (you can click on the pics to make them larger...)





I really love the addition of these flowers to the back of the quilt - they add so much to the Hawaiian feeling of the quilt!

And one final shot of the quilt.....


We had such lovely sunshine today for taking pictures!  It's been a while - lots of gray days lately that are terrible for getting good pictures.  But it was a pleasure getting these shots today!!

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-


So now it's your turn - what have you been working on this week?  What made you do a little dance of happiness?  Share - we want to dance with you!!  The link will stay open until Saturday midnight, so join in!!


Later!


Sarah






16 comments:

  1. What a lovely quilt given with such a big heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this pattern - saved the tutorial for the next donation quilt. Very special quilt you have made - the back is an extra special touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful quilt! and for a very special reason. All the extra touches and vibrant colours will brighten the day of anyone that sees it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love the idea of the signatures and flowers on the back! What a beautiful and comforting gift for your husbands friend!
    Blessings,
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful quilt! lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quilt & the back of it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The added detail was a wonderful idea, Sarah! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work, as usual! I love the Maluhia quilt! It's even more lovely than most of your 'love' quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Great fabric and design. Even the quilting is swirly like water!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great quilt! I love all the extra things that make it special for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beauty shines through this one--just lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Hawaiian quilt. I am sure the gentleman will treasure the quilt. What a wonderful gift. Whoop Whoop to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your quilt ! can you believe I remembered to post this week -- wow !

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my favorites~! I am sure he will be so touched by this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great Quilt -- I have already visited Lisa's Site and signed up as a fan. Today I am cleaning my sewing room (total wreck), however after visiting all the links, I may just have to shut off the vacuum. Thank you again for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Whoop! Whoop! Sarah. I finally got something completely finished, but, I didn't get it posted. I posted about my son's cardboard boat races instead. His boat 'finished'. Maybe I should have entered him instead. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!