Sunday, February 14, 2016

Nifty Nines Quilt-Along - The Simplest Quilt Ever!

Hi, all!

Welcome to Week Three of the Nifty Nines Quilt-Along!  I hope you've been following along, but if this is your first visit, here's a recap of the previous two weeks...



Lattice Play was our first week's quilt...


Followed by Time For Chevrons!

Both quilts feature nine-patch blocks, as does this week's quilt - but this week's quilt is probably one of the fastest, simplest quilts you'll ever make!  


I think I'll call this one the 
Easy Peasy Giant Disappearing Nine-Patch Quilt!

Now, if you're unfamiliar with a disappearing nine-patch block (also known as a D9P), it's really simple.  First you make a basic nine-patch block, and then you cut it up and sew it back together in a different pattern.  It's a great way to make a simple quilt that looks a lot more complicated than it is!  


The quilt top in this picture literally took two and a half hours, from picking out the fabric squares to hanging it on the line for pictures!

There are lots of different designs for D9P blocks, but this quilt is made with one of the most basic designs, just really large.  Here's the tutorial for this quilt!  

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Nifty Nines Quilt-Along
Easy-Peasy Giant Disappearing Nine-Patch

Size:  approximately 57” x 71”
All seams are 1/4”

Fabric Requirements:

45 10” x 10” squares.  

This is a great pattern to use a layer cake (just add 3 coordinating fabric squares to make up the full 45 squares) or to showcase beautiful large-print fabrics.

Block Construction:

For each oversized nine-patch block, select nine 10” print squares.  On a flat surface, arrange the squares into three rows of three squares, with any fabrics that you want to be dominant in the quilt in the four corners of your block, as those fabrics will remain uncut at the cutting stage.

To piece the block, first sew the squares into three rows.  Press the seams to one side, pressing in the opposite direction for the center row.  Sew the three rows together to create your 9-patch blocks.  Press these seams toward the center, then press the block and set it aside.  Repeat the process, making a total of five blocks.

Cut the blocks into quarters by cutting in half from top to bottom, then side to side.  (Because of the large size of the blocks, it’s easiest to find the center by measuring the center row of blocks, dividing by two and cutting that far from the side seam of the middle row.  If you have sewn an accurate 1/4” seam, that measurement should be 4.75”.)

Arrange your new, smaller blocks into five rows of four blocks apiece.  

Sew the rows, pressing the seams in opposite directions.  Then sew the rows together, nesting the seams for matching corners.   Press the entire quilt top.

Voila!  You’re done!!

Credits:  Original pattern by Vivika Hansen Denegre; featured in Modern Patchwork 2012

*&*&*&*&*&*&*


I hope you enjoy this pattern as much as I do - it's great for pulling a quilt together quickly, and looks wonderful in batiks or large-scale prints. I'm also contemplating making several using some old-fashioned floral fabrics we have in the ministry stash - I think they'll blend well together!  Please share any quilts you make using this pattern or any of the Nifty Nines in the Flickr group!  And if you'd like a PDF of the pattern mailed to you, leave your email address in a comment below and I'll send it to you!

Are you getting inspired and motivated for the Hands2Help Challenge?  It's only a month away!! I do hope you'll join in the fun as we make quilt-y hugs for people in need....

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And as I sat writing this post, my lovely eldest granddaughter was sitting beside me.  She looked at my blog and wistfully said, "I used to be on your blog all the time."  Realizing she was right, and she hadn't been on there in a while, I snapped this picture so she could be on my blog once again!


She sure has changed since her first appearance on my blog, back in January of 2010...



(And isn't my daughter just gorgeous?)

See you next week for the fourth Nifty Nines quilt!!

Hugs!

Sarah

26 comments:

  1. I like that D9P and haven't seen it done in such big blocks before. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to use up a layer cake. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The D9P looks great! Your daughter and granddaughter are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tell your granddaughter is so pretty and makes a delightful blog cover girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, that large D9P is a life-saver for when you know you need a quilt in a hurry. Thank you for sharing. It is lovely. Your darling granddaughter is a cutie :-)
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both your daughter and granddaughter are gorgeous, must be good genes :) Your disappearing 9 patch is one of my favorites, the fabric is used is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Love this idea! Especially for those fabrics that are just too hard to cut small.
    It's great seeing all 3 designs you have been showcasing. I'm definitely making the chevron and D9P but that lattice one is now calling my name too.
    Thank you for all the inspiration and instructions.
    Happy Valentine's Day to you and all your sweet ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All your 9-patch quilts are beautiful, Sarah! Love the D9P in those colors. Been wondering what to do with some of the batiks in the stash and this is a great idea. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS - Lilli is growing up so fast! Such a beautiful little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilt. I needed a new pattern for Quilts of Valor, on Tuesday. I have lots of patriotic fabrics, just waiting to be used. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, they are BOTH gorgeous!

    And how smart! Somehow I just never thought of using 10" blocks for a D9P. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this week's quilt. Simple but doesn't look simple. Does that make sense?

    Cute young lady, nice to see her on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it! I'm thinking holiday prints. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your daughter and granddaughter are indeed beautiful. And so is this quilt . . . I love the colors and prints you chose. Yes please send a pdf to:
    kakingsbury at verizon dot net
    Thank you! And in case I didn't say thank you for the other pdfs . . . thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You just reminded me how much I like a disappearing nine patch! Both you DGD and DD are beautiful . Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the Easy Peasey Giant D9P quilt. Can you please send me the pdf? cknapp3626(at)sbcglobal(dot)net. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. please send me the PDF - thank you so much! cakilliany at hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never done a disappearing nine patch. All three are amazing and I would like a PDF and I will try it out. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Although the new quilt top is beautiful, I would rather see a picture of the Princess any day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great fast quilt. Gotta love the D9P! So glad you shared the photo of your granddaughter. They grow up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I actually like the D9P in the larger 10" blocks than the smaller ones! Beautiful colors! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm a volunteer for Project Linus and make kits; I would love to have the PDF. Thanks! pam.pelly633@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Please send me a pdf, and thank you. I have a lot of large squares to use up and this will help.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is one disappearing 9-patch that I like. The pink just makes it pop. Please send me a PDF copy. Thanks. senstrings@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a great way to use a layer cake (something I have some trouble using). I'd love to have a PDF of this pattern. Bschnellenberger@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Please send me a copy of this quit it will be so helpful when a disaster strikes and we need to make quilts fast thankyou for sharing love the series so far
    possumproductions@yahoo.com.au
    thankyou

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! And I always respond if I can - if you don't hear from me, you're probably a no-reply blogger - so leave an email address if you are!