Friday, April 8, 2016

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? Boundless Solids Rock!!!

Hi, all!

Wow!  Can you believe it's Friday again!  Are you ready for the weekend?  As spring gets closer (or at least the warm part of spring) I get the urge to work in my yard on the weekends - but I still spend my weekdays in the studio!  I've been busy this week working on something fun - so I'm ready to get my whoop whoop on - are you?  Let's get started!


Several weeks ago, Craftsy contacted me and asked if they could send me some of their new Boundless solid fabrics to review on the blog.  Well, let's see - get free fabric to play with and then talk about it?  Yeah!!  

When I looked on their website, this is what I found out about their new line...

"Inspired by quilters and their creativity, talent, and just a dash (or three!) of sass, the Boundless team set out to create collections that live up to every expectation and excite fabric lovers daily.  With a stunning spectrum of colors and original prints and a premium, easy-to-work-with hand, Boundless is designed to delight."



These fabrics come in 30 colors, in yardage, 5" squares, 10" squares, 2.5" strips, 6" strips, and fat quarter bundles.  There are a variety of pre-packaged color ways, too!


And best of all, it's 35% off right now!!  And just to make life interesting, I want to show you what I made with my 6" strip bundle....


Isn't this pretty?  One 6" strip bundle, 25 strips of beautifully saturated solids created this 57" square quilt, a great lap size!! This particular color way is called Crayon Box, and there are five other curated bundles that contain enough strips to make this quilt.


It's a beautifully simple quilt - just hourglass blocks!  I pretty much allowed the colors to fall where they would, just avoiding putting two of the same color next to each other.  Here's a simple tutorial for the hourglass block...

If you’ve never made an hourglass block before, it couldn’t be simpler!  Here’s how you make this block.  Take two 6” squares of different colors, and draw a diagonal line, corner to corner, on the lighter block.  Lay the light block on top of the dark block, right sides together, matching the corners, and stitch 1/4” from each side of that line you drew.  Cut the block apart on the line you drew, and carefully press the seams to the darker side.  (FYI this is also the process for making a half-square triangle block.)  Now make another set of HSTs with a different pair of colors.   You should now have four HSTs, two in one color pairing and two in another.  





Now, take one of each differently colored HSTs and draw a diagonal line from the light corner to the dark corner, crossing the stitched line.  Lay the marked HST on top of the unmarked HST, with the seams matching and the colors in opposite position, as shown above.  (The top HST is folded back so you can see the alternated colors.)  Pin across the pencil-marked stitching line, making sure that your seams are butted together nicely and corners line up.  Stitch 1/4” from either side of the line you drew.  Cut on the line to separate your work into two hourglass blocks!  Tada!  Trim to 5” square.


For this quilt, I cut each 6" strip into seven 6" squares, then paired each with a contrasting color for the first half square triangles.  After those were cut and pressed (but not trimmed), I paired them up as shown in the instructions above and stitched them again.  After those were cut and pressed, I squared them up to 5" square, arranged them on the design wall until I was happy with the design, and put it together!


Time to make the back.  In keeping with my efforts to sew my stash this year, I looked for material in my yardage that I liked.  Nothing there!  Then I remembered the two tubs of random fat quarters I had stashed away, and picked out twelve pretty rainbow colored prints that read as solids.  It all worked up really quickly into a nice back!  


Next I loaded it up on the frame and did a quick and easy random meander, then bound it with a diagonal stripe from the stash.  A quick turn in the washer and dryer, and voila, a finished quilt!  


And you know the most wonderful thing about this quilt, at least to me?  Right now, the 6" fabric roll I used is only $27.62!  That's all it would cost to make this quilt top - what a great deal!  And there are 6 different color combinations to choose from.  Something for everyone!

Now here's the skinny about these fabrics - they have a lovely hand, nice consistent weave, and the colors are beautifully vibrant and clear.  They sewed well, washed well, and there was almost no color bleed on my Color Catchers (and that was more likely to be from some of the fat quarters I used on the back!)  I would use them again in a heartbeat!  

So - - - can I get a whoop whoop???

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What are you whooping it up about this week?



What's got you dancing a little happy dance?

Share - we want to dance right along with you - 
And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight - 

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah

PS - There's lots more on clearance at Craftsy, too - you'll find craft project kits and supplies from your favorite brands and designers, discounted at least 40%.  Stock up for spring, and get ready to pack a picnic basket full of inspiration!  Hurry - offer ends Sunday!




27 comments:

  1. Just LOVE this. I have solids that I want to play with, but it will be another week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So colorful and a beaty!!!!
    Must buy something of that fabric. Thanks for sharing.
    Love your dancers every week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty. I love that quilt. Those fabrics are also pretty. Will go check Craftsy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. I've wondered how they washed up, and actually worked. I know these strips are new, and they do open up more design possibilities. I've watched this quilt under construction on IG, and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt you made from the solid strips. Love the simple design. Thank you for the info on the new fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That IS a good price for a whole quilt top! I was noticing some pretty solids in my LQS and thinking I need to work with some again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!! Aren't solids fun to play with?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen and wondered about Craftsy's Boundless Solids! Maybe I will give them a try now. Your quilt is gorgeous. I love seeing so many colors all together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very crisp, love it. Great backing look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a great job! Those solids are very beautiful! Good for yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is smashing! I love the color burst.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great quilt!!! The color choices in that fabric line look VERY inviting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet! What a beautiful and fun way to use all those gorgeous colors! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah, gorgeous quilt! Can't beat that price...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This week I am happy that 3 weeks after surgery, my husband is allowed out, can drive himself!! So, I am heading to my sewing room.
    cork@pa.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Didn't know that Craftsy launched a solids line. Glad to hear they have a good hand. I've tried some newer solid brands recently and they are not very soft.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the colors on your hour glass quilt! That is also one of my favorite go-to techniques for making scrappy quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Woop Woop! Another fabulously colorful simple quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful quilt and great tutorial! I had been wondering what the quality of the Boundless fabrics is like, as a big fan of Craftsy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome use of the solids and extra bonus - you used up some stash as well! I don't use many solids but am trying to keep my mind more open to it in my future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A well deserved whoop whoop! Thanks for the tutorial. Would never have thought about making blocks like that. Ingenious. And that's a great fabric collection. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had to jump over and check out the 6" strips, I don't normally like pre-cuts but 6" X 43" is a very interesting size :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous quilt, love the hst to make up a quick quilt and yours looks great. I also love piecing up backs for them. I am restraining from buying as I am off to Australian Quilt Convention next week. I'll do another link up on Friday with a whoop whoop of all the lovelies I have walked away with then. Cheers and thanks for hosting again

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, so colorful and cheerful! Beautiful!! I need some solids now!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the post. I really enjoyed seeing what you made with your windfall, and how little it cost in fabric, if we were to buy that roll.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. https://krmlight.com/can-you-cut-led-strips/

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!