Wednesday, September 20, 2017

I May Have a Scrap Problem... Not Getting Much Better!

Hi, all!

Wow, it has been a week!  I had so many commitments, and so many other things going on, that I didn't get much done on the scrap sewing front.  Boo!




I did, however, get my Gypsy Wife block for this week done!  This block is called Indian Hatchet, and the one on the left is for my GW quilt.  The one on the right is for the Michael Miller Friendship Quilt project, and is made from fabrics provided by Michael Miller Fabrics at QuiltCon.  The fabrics have been sitting on my worktable since February and it feels good to have it done!  The only requirement was that the block be 6.5" unfinished, and since Indian Hatchet was the same size, I just cut out two and sewed them both up together!  This block will go in the mail today.


Then I did some "sew my stash" sewing - I need to make some pillow covers for an upcoming Marketplace, and when I was looking through a drawer, I came upon a charm pack of Halloween fabrics that has been sitting unused for a couple of years.  I cut the charms into 2.5" squares, grabbed some fusible interfacing, and laid out simple patchwork.  Fused the squares onto the interfacing, then folded and sewed.  I love this method, and I've used it a lot for 1.5" squares, but this is the first time I've tried it with larger squares.  It is so fast, and the intersections of the squares are always perfect!  I'll be adding appliqués to these to make some really unique pillow covers, and hopefully they'll be a popular item!  

You can see my tutorial about this technique in this post - just scroll down a ways, because there are several techniques described in the post!  


Oh, and I almost forgot - this quilt went to Stash Builder Box today for this quarter's donation to Project Linus!  I finished it a while ago, but I don't think I ever shared it here.  This was a group effort by my Heart Builders team - we each made a block or two from our scraps, using the Japanese X and Plus block pattern.  Everyone sent them to me and I put them together into this cute quilt! It's a great scrap buster!

So not much scrap sewing, but I hope that will change soon as I get some projects finished and clear the tables a little bit!  Do you hit patches where you have so much "got to" sewing that you can't do any "want to" sewing?

Hugs!

Sarah

12 comments:

  1. More beautiful works. Esp. looking forward to seeing more Gypsy Wife :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your X Plus quilt turned out SEW well... that I want to go start one RIGHT NOW!! Too bad that I'm off on a business trip today and can't sew any scraps. :o((

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Stash builder quilt. I have made 2 quilt tops for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much to love here. I have been considering that Hatchet/Album block lately and I love the way you did the positive/negative look with the blue and green ones. Admittedly, those blocks might end up being a gateway to the X Plus block quilt that I've had on my radar for some time.

    Finally, am I seeing an appliqued spider on those cute Halloween pillows? Naw, must have been my imagination! Wishing you more time to what you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep i've been in that situation...right now trying to finish quilting a quilt for our senior center...and trying not to procrastinate...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm at that time now. Not fun when you 'have to' sew, not 'want to' sew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, Any progress is still progress. You did get some sewing done this week. I adore the Japanese X and Plus quilt. It will be a great Project Linus donation. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some weeks are just like that, aren't they? Soon you'll be buzzing along at the sewing machine again, though. I know you will! I love your Gypsy Wife blocks, and those pillow covers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely have times where I'm having a tough time getting going on the most urgent project, and I don't allow myself to work on anything but it because it's so urgent. But because I'm having a hard time getting going on it, I get NOTHING done! Does that make any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your Gypsy Wife progress, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you do that fusible sewing for the squares, how large do you make each block? Like, 10x10, or 9x9, etc. Sounds like a terrific way to speed along the process :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep I am in that stage right now. All 'got to sew' and no 'I wannta', it's that way every fall when I am into craft show season up to my eyeballs, LOL

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!