Friday, December 15, 2017

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? The First of Three...

Hi, all!

Wow, it's already Friday again!  Time flies when you're having fun, doesn't it?  And you know what Friday means - it's time to get our whoop whoop on!!  Are you ready?  Let's get started!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Before I share, let me give a little back history for those of you who might not be familiar with my favorite Christmas tradition.  When I started making quilts in 2009, I decided to make my one and only granddaughter a quilt for Christmas.  I made her one the next year too, and by 2011, she told me that the only thing she wanted from me for Christmas was her new quilt!  So making a quilt each year for Lilli, and then for Emmy and Nathanael too when they came along, has become a tradition.  One that's worrying my daughter, who pointed out to me this year that if I make each of the kids a quilt a year for eighteen years, they'll have fifty-four quilts at their house by the time they graduate!  Now I ask you - is that really a problem???

With all that being said, today I'm going to share the first of this year's three annual quilts...


This one is obviously for my little mermaid, Emmy!  Three gorgeous mermaid panels form the focus of this quilt, with lots of patchwork surrounding them.  


Haven't you always wanted to know about the secret life of mermaids?


A panel from the same fabric line added a little interest to the back the quilt, too!


And I even busted into my Heather Ross Goldfish in Bags yardage to make her a pillowcase.  I hope she knows how much I love her!

Two more to come, as soon as I finish them!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

I did have one other fun finish this week - a friend of mine saw Lilli's dolphin quilt, and asked if I could do the same design on a pillow cover.  Well, yes!


Just FYI, it takes almost as much time to cut out a 6" tall dolphin as it does to cut out one 36" tall!  Lots of wavy straight line quilting on this one...


And how great is it to find the absolute perfect backing fabric in your stash?  Look at that beautiful little mermaid!


And there it is - the finished pillow cover!

So - - - can I get a whoop whoop??

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's got you whooping it up this week?


What's making you do a little happy dance?

Share!  We want to dance right along with you,

And it's always more fun to celebrate with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight.

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful finishes! Love how you used the panels in the Mermaid quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I think one a year is just right! One day, those grands will have children, then grandchildren ... each looking for a quilt passed down from their Nana. This year you have out done yourself --- they are all absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the dolphin is lovely. Is that a pattern or did you design it yourself?
    It seems to me that by the time the third one is 18 the other two will be gone and have taken their quilts with them...so perhaps it is less of a "problem" than the mom realizes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the mermaid quilt. The dolphin is amazing! Your friends pillow looks good with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your Christmas tradition of your grandchildren being gifted a quilt is one I doing too. The mermaid quilt is so darling and I am sure Emmy is going to love it. I hope she also appreciates her pillowcase because I did a little gasp and thought is that fabric what I think it is because that is one special fabric for a special granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, can you delete the duplicate posts for me? the hugs and kisses quilt? Sorry, I was having issues with the linky today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute finishes this week Sarah! I have see that mermaid panel - it is adorable. You used it in just the right project! These kids will have a whole lot of grandma with them as they grow up and move on in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since none of my grandmothers quilted, and unless they learn how to quilt in heaven, I have no chance of getting quilts from them, I think you should adopt me as your newest granddaughter!!! Love the quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I definitely don't think 54 is too many! My boys are only 2 and 4, and I was just thinking the other day I should count how many quilts are in their room. I bet it's around 40. Just in their room! You can never have too many quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a lot of quilts, but a great tradition. I've made many, many quilts for my nephew. And now contemplating another one for high school graduation in June. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is the best Grandma gift in the world, to get a beautiful quilt each year, made especially for a growing grandchild! It's the perfect way to really see, hear and understand each child.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a GREAt way to LOVE the grandkids. :) Your daughter has a point. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Coming from someone who has more than 100 quilts in the house, 54 doesn’t sound like too many. ;) My three children have at least 10 quilts each. But not all are big. Maybe some wall hangings one year would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats! on a couple of GREAT finishes, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  15. More gorgeous quilts. Your work always amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful! Thank you for hosting this year :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's good to reconnect with you, I genuinely loved your method for writing an article. I truly admire your skills. I am sharing a very genuine post to read where you can get to know about Click Speed Test. Would love to hear your reviews on the article. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!