Friday, February 23, 2018

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? Using Up Those Scraps!

Hi, all!

It's finally Friday again, and we all know what that means - it's time for us to get our whoop whoop on!  Let's get started!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*


 A little less than a week ago, I came across thirty string blocks in a ZipLoc bag and pulled them out.  Putting them up on the design wall, I arranged them over and over until I came up with a chevron design that I liked. 


Each block had a narrow black strip across the center, separating light from dark, so it seemed like a natural way to lay them out.  But it was still small - about 32.5" by 39".  (And I really didn't want to make any more blocks! So lazy....)  


But wait!  All that scrap cutting I've been doing meant that I have a LOT of 2.5" squares on hand!  So I decided to make a 9-patch border using black squares in the center to echo the black stripe in the string blocks.  But placed right next to the string blocks, it was too busy, so I added a narrow black stop border around the string blocks to separate them and give them their own individual part to sing!


I finished it off with a black border and black binding, and voila!  A  lovely scrappy finish!


This beauty will be added to our stash of ministry quilts, destined to become comfort and a quilt-y hug for someone in need.

So - - - can I get a whoop whoop?

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's got you whooping it up this week?


What's making you do a little happy dance?

Share!  We want to dance right along with you!

And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight.

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah



33 comments:

  1. What a great quilt, so much fun to make something with extra block and scrap pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt! I love that narrow black border - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s fantastic!! I love the black fabric unifying it all together. Great job on finding the perfect layout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful finish!! What a stunning scrap quilt and the black border and binding just sets it off perfectly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! My first impression was that there's something Frank Lloyd Wright-ish about it. Nice masculine quilt but still colorful, and great use of your recently cut scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your chevron string quilt looks great! Congrats on your finish, and on rescuing and completing that UFO!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute! You should feel good about that remarkable finish!

    https://prayersformymom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the way you've put the strings blocks together! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great finish on your scrap quilt Sarah. That black sets it off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great quilt -- so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you've done with those string blocks. Just perfect. I like string blocks, but I get tired of them long before I have enough to make something!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this quilt! You did a fabulous job on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how the black ties it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is very classy and such a change from the usual string block quilt. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not usually a fan of the chevron design, but this quilt is stunning, Sarah! Also, I received the package of scraps today and had so much fun looking through them all and sorting them! Thank you so much! Now to figure out which of your scrap quilts I should start on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The nine-patch blocks are a great way to increase the size. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is always amazing to me how leftovers can be so beautiful! Nice quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The quilt is great.....and I have to say, you are the least LAZY person I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sarah, you are amazing! What a great way to add inches to a quilt. 'so lazy' uh all those 2.5" squares? I don't think so! Looks great. I'm also saying hello from not too far away from you this morning - I'm in Nashville this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! Great job finishing this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome! The first quilt inspired and completed because of your new scrap cutting habit! I love that :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice quilt. No sewing going on, since we are STILL in Alaska STILL awaiting the birth of our first grandbaby (well over a week late so far).

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is a stunning quilt with the black touches. It looks sort of a Native American to me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is a stunning quilt. My quilt guild is making string blocks with a black strip in the center to sell at our annual quilt show to help raise funds for the guild and our charities. Would you mind if I use a picture of your quilt as an example of how the blocks might be assembled?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how the 'make-do' attitude creates the best quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't read all your comments and maybe somebody already said this but they always say "Laziness is the mother of invention!" I LOVE this scrappy quilt!! WOW! I'd say laziness was a definite asset in this case. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!