Sunday, March 19, 2023

Are You Ready For The Hands2Help Comfort Quilt Challenge 2023?

 

Hi, all!

Well, it's that time of year again, and although I'm only slowly getting my act together, I've decided the best way to begin is by taking the first step - and that's opening up sign-ups for this year's Challenge!  I know that many of you have already been working on quilts, and many have contacted me asking if we will be doing the Challenge this year.  Many many thanks to Mari for taking up the reins last year and managing the pull all this off when I wasn't able to!  It's a challenge in itself but so worth it!

For those of you who may be new, this is a Challenge to make comfort quilts for others in need.   We try to focus on smaller, lesser known charities (although some old favorites will be returning!) rather than the larger ones that receive plenty of donations during the year.  Or if you prefer, you can donate your quilts locally.  This is a great option if you are outside of the United States, or if the cost of shipping is prohibitive for you (along with everything else these days, it seems!).  The charities often take a wide variety of sizes and types of quilts, so there's something for everyone, whether you like to make baby quilts or lap quilts, or even if you only like to make tops.  

And here's some info about this year's charities....

Little Lambs Foundation of Utah

Little Lambs is returning this year as one of our charities.  As in most states, the foster care system is in dire need of assistance, and Little Lambs does excellent work in Utah providing comfort kits for children from newborns to 18 years of age.  Ted and Stefanee have been doing this for many years and it has been our privilege to be part of their work.  Although you can send larger quilts if you want, this is a great place to send baby quilts, approximately 36-40 inches on a side.  And they have a partnership with Give Back Box so that you can send your quilts for a highly reduced price.  And you can stuff that box with up to 70 pounds of donations, so feel free to send them multiple quilts, or anything else that is on their wish list!  You can find out more information on the services they offer at littlelambsofutah.org.


Quilty Hugs for Happy Chemo

Emily's project, Quilty Hugs for Happy Chemo, is also back this year.  It's always a favorite, and those quilts do so much good for so many! Quilty Hugs gives quilts to cancer patients through the Rack Pack, Primary Children's Hospital, and various chemo labs.  They are given to the patient for their own personal use.  Emily accepts quilts of all sizes, from 48" square to twin size (approximately 65" x 88").


Victoria's Quilts Canada

Linda Miller has once again volunteered to be a collection point for quilt tops for Victorias Quilts Canada.  Here's a little bit about their organization:

The mission of Victoria's Quilts Canada is to provide handmade quilts to people living with cancer in Canada.  By providing these quilts we hope to bring physical comfort to those dealing with cancer, was well as spiritual comfort in knowing they are not alone in their struggle.

Donations for this charity will be a little bit different, so take careful note:  quilt TOPS only, measuring 50" x 70", made of 100% cotton.  Linda is located in Canada, so this charity will be particularly convenient for our Canadian participants, and if anyone elsewhere chooses to participate, the postage will be significantly reduced as opposed to mailing a completed quilt.  



Mennonite Central Committee

While the Mennonite Central Committee, or MCC as it is best known, is not a small charity group, they have a new program underway that may appeal to some of you.  

One of their many ministries is the comforter program.  By the end of 2023, their goal is to donate a grand total of 45,000 blankets to our global neighbors who are dealing with conflict and disaster.  Linda Miller is volunteering to be a collection point for comforter tops, which she will then take to her local MCC resource center to be tied into comforters.  They have more people ready to tie than they have sewists, so they welcome tops.  This year there is so much need in Turkey and the Ukraine, and my own personal hope is that many of the tops they make will go there!

THIS DONATION WILL BE TOPS ONLY.  The tops can be fancy or utilitarian.  The fabric does not have to be 100% cotton, either, so this is an opportunity to use up fabric you may not be able to use elsewhere!  You should use new or nearly new fabric, and they prefer twin size (60" x 80") but will also accept double size (82" x 90").  As you only need to make tops for this donation, the shipping will once again be less than sending a finished quilt.


I hope to have one more group to add to this list, but I am still waiting for confirmation from them!

*&*&*&*&*&*

I'm still working on the calendar, but you should have until sometime in early June to complete and donate your quilts or quilt tops.   I should have all that info ready for you next week!

And now for the sign-ups!  Thankfully, I re-learned how to use the Google Forms that has made this task much easier over the past few years, so we have this much easier way to get info.  None of your information will be used for any purpose other than the Hands2Help Challenge - you won't be put on a mailing list to be sold, I promise!  But it helps me keep things straight and organized, so please fill out all the fields carefully.  (Also, please ignore where it shows my email address and says "switch accounts".  I have no idea why that is showing and can't figure out how to make it go away - and have no idea what would happen if you should switch accounts!)



Be sure to scroll through all of the questions and click the Submit button at the bottom of the form!  

Let the fun begin!!!

Hugs!

Sarah

27 comments:

  1. I've been making comforter tops for MCC for years. I'll try to remember to take pictures this fall at the Comforter Bash to post about on my blog. The only problem is so many Amish women come to help and I don't want to offend them by taking their picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got signed up. Looking forward to this year's event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in again this year! May need to pull from my quilt stash as sewing is not happening much this year here due to health issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project, always, and glad to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, do you know where MCC center Linda will take tops too? I live near one and could just drop mine off if that's where she takes them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all signed up!! Now I need to finish that orange irish chain quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in! I signed up last year to make quilts but at the end of March I had a fall and broke my shoulder. So I have a couple of quilts that were for last years campaign that will go for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No broken wrist for me this year-I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back, Sarah! Delighted to be a participant again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sarah, I think the switch accounts is not for you. It's for whomever is signing up if they have more than one google e-mail and don't want to use the one that comes up when they sign in. I've had that before, since I do have more than one. =)

    So I'm in, even if a little slow to get here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One more year, Quilty Hugs for Happy Chemo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you’re back Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite time of year!!! Thank you so much for all your efforts in this awesome challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you get my sign up this time. I have trouble using Safari on my laptop. Tonight I’m trying with the iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I look forward to this every year. Thanks for doing this again Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for making "local charities" an acceptable donations in support of Hands2Help, Sarah!! The mailing of a quilt and/ or a flimsy is getting to be expensive these days.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Sarah for another great way to get some quilts made and donated!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for doing this. I am looking forward to more quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm in and thank you for allowing us to do local charities as I will be giving mine to our local foster care program.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome back Sarah. I am in. I will be donating to a women's shelter in Central Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am in Sarah! I will be donating mine to Mercyful Quilts in Sacramento, CA.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Sarah. Thanks so much for organizing this opportunity to donate quilts. Another blogger and I have tops for MCC and are wondering where to send them. In this post is says Linda Miller is collecting them but no other information is given. Please let me know what to do next. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This quilt challenge although I have been making quilts for charities for over a decade. This should be fun. Thank you for organizing it.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was supposed to say that this is my first quilt challenge. I really should proofread before I publish. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!