Friday, April 26, 2019

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? Feeling a Little Hygge.....

Hi, all!

Once again, Friday has rolled around and that means one thing - it's time for us to get our whoop whoop on!  After putting my nose to the grindstone on Thursday, I'm ready - are you?  Let's get started!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

First of all, I need to share my internet research with you.  Maybe you've heard the word "hygge" but don't know quite what it means. Here's what I found out...

hyg·ge
/ˈh(y)o͞oɡə,ˈho͝oɡə/
noun

A quality of coziness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being.


When I went to Ohio last fall, I found a beautiful bundle of Essex yarn-dyed linen...


...which of course had to come home with me!  I've been looking at it on my shelf since then, reveling in the beautiful soft colors and textures of the linen.  It always reminded me of that word "hygge" because it always made me feel content and cozy.  This week I didn't have an ongoing project, so I decided it was time to put that fat quarter bundle to work.  One of my favorite quilts is the postage stamp quilt, which goes together fairly quickly from a fat quarter bundle, so I grabbed it from the shelf and started cutting!  And here's my finished top...


Sorry for the less-than-optimum picture - clouds and rain and lots of wind came in while I was working on finishing this on Thursday, so I couldn't get a good picture outside.  But I'll be sure to get some good pics once it's quilted!

And I had some leftover 5-patch strips after finishing the blocks for this quilt!  Rather than throw them in the orphan block box, I decided to put them to use.  I got a new chair yesterday, and it looked a little plain, so here's what I came up with...


A simple little pillow, about 11"x15", with an envelope closure and binding on the edges!  And not only one, but two - one for each of the chairs in the room!


And you know the very best thing about this project?  I have absolutely no scraps left over!  Not one!

I also want to share a friend's whoop whoop moment, recorded last Wednesday night...



My friend Mary has been working on string blocks for about two months now, and last Wednesday night she put her finished blocks up on the design wall!  She finally has enough for a whole quilt!!

So - - - can we get a whoop whoop??

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's got you whooping it up this week?


What's making you do a little happy dance?

Share!  We want to dance right along with you,

And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight.

Hope to see you there!

Hugs!

Sarah

22 comments:

  1. Love the look of linen. I must try some. Great pillows too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt finishes! The linen is so soft and pretty - love the look of all those colours together. Super work on the strings quilt!! I finally pulled 3 of my '2 years in waiting' quilt tops out and finished quilting 2 of them - third one basted and waiting to be done today. And.....decided on the binding for each - so happy these are nearly finished. These were bigger (for me) quilts and can be more intimidating to quilt, but I'm working on that :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your linen quilt. I find myself drawn to simple block patterns as well as simple quilting. So timeless and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt and pillows are beautiful! They look so warm and cuddly. Great string quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I LOVE that new postage stamp quilt. Those fabrics as so soft and muted - they look elegant! I'm sure this will be a new favorite at your house :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A new word! I like it! - Love all the projects you made with your yummy fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such a yummy bundle of fabric. You made lovely quilt and pillows from it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoop! Whoop! Love Mary's string quilt! Your pillows look fabulous as does your quilt! What a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pillows! The quilt looks lovely. And good job on using up all the scraps too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that finished Essex Linen top--beautiful low volume look...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the vocabulary lesson, great to know a new word! Pretty quilt, looks so cosy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had never even seen hygge until about 2 months ago and now I have seen it a few times ... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a beautiful quilt top! One week - you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It turned out great. And the pillows were a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love those soft, pretty colors, Sarah! That top is beautiful and so are the pillows. They look great in your chair! And then there's that new "big girl word" as my SLP daughter would say!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love all the projects and your new bundle fabric is yummiest.
    Wishing you a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary's string quilt is lovely! And so are your quilt top and pillow covers! That little stripey binding is exactly the right zing to finish the pillows and they look fab on your chair :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your newest top is so beautiful! What a beauty!
    Your friend did great on her string blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hygge is actually a Danish word and concept which recently has become very “in” here in the USA. I’m Danish, so I know all about it. Danes have always missed the word and concept in the English language as it is used a lot in Danish and there’s not an adequate translation in English. Your description is fairly good. The correct pronunciation is tricky as apparently is is not really possible for most English speaking folks to manage it, thus “hooga” it becomes, which is, however, not how theDanes say it. Oh well! I’ve also seen books, Facebook groups etc. which try to “do hygge” and completely overdo it! It’s basically a fairly down to earth thing, which you cannot buy, and which can easily be ruined by too much folderol!
    Love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry, Sarah, I posted twice. I didn't see the first one show up and so I posted again. I can't delete either one of them. Love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Dutch have a similar word to hygge, gezellig. I learned about it when I met my Dutch husband 13 years ago. When I made a quilt for our guest room, I made a gezellig pillow to get with it. http://www.dejongdreamhouse.com/2019/02/quilt-41-be-our-guest.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. The photo of the Essex Linen quilt is not enough for me. I want to touch it and look at all the soft colors in person. Whoop whoop for you using up every bit of the bundle. The pillows are icing on the cake! Like Jen, my word is gezellig, which my Dutch relatives assure is totally untranslatable to English, except you know it when you feel it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!