Wednesday, October 19, 2016

I May Have A Scrap Problem... Upcycling!!

Hi, all!

Are you having any success getting your scraps in a semblance of order?  Just a reminder - it's just a few short weeks until Christmas, and imagine how many great gifts you could make using your scrap stash!  Just as a suggestion, you might check out my friend Chris's blog post today... (hop over and take a look, then come back!)


I love the way she put her mug rug in a small tray!  Mug rugs are so quick and simple, and you can use up a bunch of scraps with them. Add a mug and a little bundle of homemade cookies, and you've got a great gift!



You can see more mug rug ideas on my Pinterest page, 

Then, when I was going through some of my old pictures pulling out pics of my eldest granddaughter for her annual quilt, I found a pic of this quilt...



I didn't make this one, and don't know where I originally saw this picture, but I'm glad I found it today.  What a great scrap buster!   I can see making the string blocks in between other projects, using up the leftovers and strings I've got lying around, then spending an afternoon making the hourglass blocks to finish it up.  

And this past week, I've been diligently making blocks from all those men's ties - 100 blocks all completed, and sewn together in 4's!



I should have this memory quilt finished by the end of the week.  What a great way to use up old men's ties!  I'll warn you, it's a bit time consuming, but it is really pretty when it's done.  

So that's been my week, scrap-wise.  I need to get cracking on Lilli's annual quilt, which will use up a huge amount of scraps.  Hopefully I can start on that as soon as I finish the men's ties quilt!


Is your scrap monster starting to look a little bit more domesticated these days?

Hugs!

Sarah

18 comments:

  1. I think I am buried in scraps. I cut them into set sizes and box the sizes to use in comfort quilts. However, the bins of scraps donated to me are very big. I even bought an Accuquilt studio to help me cut them, but the bins are untamed. Because I make comfort quilts, quilters give me their scraps and I can't keep up. It is good fabric and I am grateful, I just can't process it fast enough to make a dent. Feeling overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for so many scrap ideas. I was given a huge bag of 2 1/2 inch strips from our church quilt group to fashion quilts out of. It's been challenging to put together something cohesive and attractive from a mish-mash of colors and fabric patterns. So, any and all scrap ideas are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tie memory quilt is beautiful, Sarah! How many ties went into it? Love that string quilt. Such a simple but beautiful design and great use of scraps/strings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mug rugs, so thanks for sharing your Pinterest Mug Rug Design. You'll see me there for sure. I started a new quilt ... that won't be done in a month. It's in the same genre as today's Hourglass quilt. You can see it here
    https://atthecornerofscrapandquilts.blogspot.ca/2016/10/got-my-orange-fix.html
    In the last picture, I made a Hole in the Barn Door block with little snippets. Of course it can be done with strings, or anything.
    Your tie quilt is coming along beautifully. Good luck with your goal. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seldom use my scraps (bad, I know) and I came home with well over 100 yards of fabric, from our family reunion trip to Arkansas last week (4 quilt stores, and 99+ yards from one store). Need some scrap yardage???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the rail fence/hour glass quilt was yours when I saw it on facebook. Loved it and added it to my bucket list. Glad you found the photo and shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be interested in donating quilts to charity. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, there are lots of options for donating quilts. If you want to donate locally, you might check with your local hospitals (children's wards or cancer wards); fire departments might be able to use them for children displaced by fire; children's foster services can use them for kids in the foster care system (duffel bags are great to go with them for kids to carry around their belongings); that's just a few local options. To join in a national movement, you might look into Quilts of Valor, Project Linus or Quilts For Kids. Or you can send them to me and I'll be sure they find a good home through our church's quilt ministry!

      Delete
  8. I don't watch TV much anymore but I do record a program called Hoarders that I watch about 15min of while eating dinner, wondering how do these people live like that? Well the other day I was looking for a panel I had purchased and realized YIKES I am a fabric Hoarder! An organized Hoarder but still a Hoarder! I have as many have, declared NO MORE FABRIC BUYING until I use a lot of what I have. Its been hard for the last 2 weeks, very hard, but so far so good lol. Wish me well everyone. Thanks in advance.
    Jeri Oldtisme@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't watch TV much anymore but I do record a program called Hoarders that I watch about 15min of while eating dinner, wondering how do these people live like that? Well the other day I was looking for a panel I had purchased and realized YIKES I am a fabric Hoarder! An organized Hoarder but still a Hoarder! I have as many have, declared NO MORE FABRIC BUYING until I use a lot of what I have. Its been hard for the last 2 weeks, very hard, but so far so good lol. Wish me well everyone. Thanks in advance.
    Jeri Oldtisme@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must say, I get so many ideas from your blog--and that's a good thing! Just added the string & hourglass quilt to my must-make list, PLUS I've "creeped" on some of the commenters here and discovered new bloggers I've never known, along with new projects they've shared. The quilting world just never ends--and I'm okay with that! Looking forward to seeing how you'll quilt that tie quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Morning Saran, thee duffel bag is a great idea to go with comfort quilts. While I'm thinking about it are you doing the Hands to help next Year?
    I thoroughly enjoyed visiting Chris's blog. and love that fabric. Our project Linus group are gifting each other mug rugs this year. Wouldn't this be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Sarah, for giving a mention to my Sewing Room mug rug, love a good mug rug! I've given you a shout out here on my facebook page - Chris :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have not had a chance to do anything with my scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What type of fabric did you use for the dark centers? I assume the ties are silk. Is the dark fabric cotton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ties are a mix of silk, poly/silk blend, and polyester; I used quilting cotton for the dark centers.

      Delete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!