Sunday, April 9, 2017

Hands2Help - Our First Guest Blogger, Pam!

Hi, all!

Are you ready for some fun?  Today is our first guest blogger post in this year's Hands2Help Challenge!  Pam is a self-described mother, grandmother and quilting enthusiast, and calls Canada home.  I hope you'll welcome her and enjoy her post - she shares an interesting technique and a very cool quilting design!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*


Hello, it is Pam from Quilting Fun. I am honoured to be providing the guest blog today. I have been following this blog, Confessions of a Fabric Addict, for years as Sarah always has fabulous ideas combined with a loving and giving heart. Hands 2 Help is just one of the many quilt ministries she supports.

I make a charity quilt every year so this series of blog posts is very near and dear to my heart. This year I am donating to Canada's Big Quilt Bee coordinated by the Canadian Quilters' Association. The goal is to make 1000 quilts for Ronald McDonald House's across Canada. Ronald McDonald House Vancouver has been providing accommodation for over 30 years to seriously ill children and their families when they must travel to Vancouver for their child's major treatment. They served 2000 families last year.

We are making slab blocks with a piece of Canadian Fabric. I thought I would start with my green scraps as it reminds me of spring.


Definitely not as easy as it seems. My blocks do not look nearly as attractive as others I have seen. (Okay all the slabs I have seen! Who knew there was a learning curve to winging it?)


It is looking better now it is a quilt top but still not fabulous. My brain definitely likes ordered even pieces. Out of my comfort zone!


Well in for a penny...I thought why not try out one of the quilting styles I have admired but not dared to try. So with my walking foot I did a slight meander from corner to corner. Then with my guide made evenly spaced lines throughout the quilt, sort of winging it but with control. That's my story anyway.


Now it is done! Yah! And I love it! I am always so surprised how quilting can take a ho hum quilt top and make it spectacular! Love!


Ah hah, an almost sunny day, quick out for the photo shoot! These pictures were taken at BC Children's Hospital in their newly redone green family space. The sculptures are very fun and always have children climbing all over them.


And the final pictures at Ronald McDonald House.



Thank you Sarah for organizing the Hands 2 Help and providing the opportunity to contribute!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Thanks, Pam, for a great post!  I can believe that there is a learning curve to winging it, but you did a great job!  Someone is going to love that quilt forever.  Thanks for sharing your quilt and your heart  for ill children and their families!

Come back next week for another great guest blogger and our first check-in linkup - time for you to share your progress (or lack of it!)  It's all good, so be prepared to share and cheer each other on!

Hugs!!

Sarah

16 comments:

  1. Pam,I love your blocks, the finished quilt, and then came the meander, This is a wonderful way to quilt the quilt, and maybe something I think I could actually do!!! Then I hopped to your blog, Oh my, I loved scrolling down to read more posts, and I hope to read more this year. Thanks Sarah, for a guest blogger contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is going to make a child so happy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful..i enjoyed this guest post so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, I love the meandering quilting. It looks great! Yeah for the Ronald McDonald house!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice way to use scraps and have a colorful quilt in the end. The quilting is super. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to meet you Pam! That's a cool quilting treatment, thanks for sharing;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pam, nice to meet you. That quilt is great and will make someone very happy. I've thought about trying the 'slab' technique but I have a very orderly brain and I'm not sure I could carry it out, LOL! Looking forward to see what you make for H2H.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely quilt, Pam :-) I really like how your quilting turned out. It adds interest and movement. I'm not familiar with the 'slab' technique but it looks like something I should try. This is going to cheer and comfort someone special. Thanks for the post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt! I need to get my FMQ going! Thank you, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a GREAT way to participate in H2H!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very sweet quilt for a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great quilt!! I just love it. So bright and cheery. And the quilting is wonderful, too! How adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like that quilting pattern! I think I'll try it on one of my H2H quilts next month. Thanks for inspiration, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The quilting on your piece is inspiring me to dive in and try it. I am also all about planned spontaneity, I suspect there is less of a learning curve for people who live their life 'winging it' v. people who like to plan ahead. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the corner to corner slight meander in her quilting. Looks super.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!