Wednesday, April 19, 2017

I May Have A Scrap Problem... A Trip Around the World, and a Technique Tutorial

Hi, all!

I almost lost track of my days this week - being at the beach has that effect on me - but as I was working on a block for my Long Time Gone quilt this evening, I remembered that I needed to write a blogpost!  So here I am!  And I actually have something to share - hooray!!

First of all, here is the next block I have made for my Long Time Gone quilt...


This is the Trip Around The World block, and it is made with 169 (!) 1.5" squares.  Normally I would find all that piecing a very daunting task - I have a short attention span (can you say SQUIRREL??) and don't like little fiddly piecing - but I have a technique to share with you that made this block pretty nearly easy peasy!!  Here's the tutorial I wrote for the Sweet Sixteen quilt-along two years ago - I'll show you some of my progress shot after the tutorial.

*&*&*&*&*&*&*


If you're working with small patches - say 1.5" squares - this is a handy way to make your blocks! Take a very lightweight fusible interfacing, and draw a grid on it, 16 squares in the size of your fabric squares.  Cut out a 16-patch unit of the interfacing. 


Lay your patches out on the fusible side. Press them down with a hot iron to fuse them to the interfacing.


Now flip the piece over and fold right sides together on the line you drew.  Press it down.  Stitch 1/4" from the edge. 


Do the same for all three lines running the same direction.  Take a small sharp pair of scissors and cut the seams open. Press them open.


Turn the piece and repeat the process for the crossing lines.  Cut open the seams and press them open.


Flip it over and press again.  Voila! You've got a cute little 16-patch block in about half the time of sewing all those tiny pieces together!


*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Here is what my Trip Around the World block looked like before sewing, but after it was fused to the interfacing...



...and here's what it looked like on the back after the seams were sewn and pressed open.


Now I have a feeling (because I've heard it from several people) that you're saying your piece would never look as good as this one. I am here to tell you - you cannot have a mismatched seam using this technique, because you're not matching seams!  But they will come out perfectly every time.  Give it a try with a small piece and you'll see.

This is a great technique to use up those smallest of scraps, and to use up scraps of interfacing too!  Add it to your bag of tricks today!

Be sure to link up and share your scrappy progress, whether on your own Long Time Gone quilt or working with your scraps in another way!  Inspiration is everywhere!!

Hugs!

Sarah


17 comments:

  1. Sarah, thanks for this tip. It sounds so easy. I have it pinned on my quilt tip board for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get some lightweight fusible, I've seen this before and my mind goes crazy with the possibilities. What fusible did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, I am posting about my Long Time Gone quilt, also! Are you part of the online sew-along?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial--I love TAW blocks but hesitated to cut and sew all those pieces after my postage stamp quilt
    trip. (LOL) Thanks for the tip...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful! Just taught my watercolor workshop yesterday and this is what I use for all the watercolors. Everything matches this way. Thanks for the tutorial to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tip! How clever you are! Thank you, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've done this before, years ago! SO SO SO much fun! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an interesting technique. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever technique! and we don't even have to go buy something special to do it! You're amazing, Sarah :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is great! I'm going to have to give this a try! Wendy at piecefulthoughts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so clever, and you did a great job with your TAW block!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this must be one of the best tips I have come across for using small pieces thanks your block looks great too and so tidy on the back

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did a watercolor design years ago in a class using pre-printed fusible interfacing. We did not cut the seams open, however, which made the seam intersections very bulky and almost impossible to free motion quilt. I've never finished it for that reason. Cutting the seams open makes so much more sense.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Neat tip! I'm glad you're having fun on the beach, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The answer to my huge scrap pile! I hate to throw even the smallest scrap in the trash!
    Thanks!
    Mary at Quilt Casita

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome idea! I need to pin this idea!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!