Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Make-A-List Monday - How To Begin a Good Habit!

Hi, all!

Another week of staying close to home has passed - how are you all doing?  It still feels weird, but as it's the new normal for most of us, we need to make the best of it!  It seems like I am busier than ever, but surely that can't be so - after all, I'm spending more time at home, not less, right?  

I don't really feel like making a list (again!) this week, but this does seem like a good time to talk about a good way to make good use of your time.  After hearing today that we are looking at probably at least two more weeks of our new "normal", I recalled that old saying that if you do something for two weeks, it can become a habit.  I don't know if that's true, but here are some suggestions for things you could do for the next two weeks to build a good habit...


Read a book!  And while doing it (weather permitting) get outside and get some fresh air and sunshine.  Maybe you are already an avid reader?  Try branching out to a different kind of book.  Learn a new skill. Read a biography of someone you admire.  Do it a little bit every day!  And if you crave social connection, get a bunch of friends involved.  Choose a book to read together.  Set up a private Facebook page to discuss what you are reading, or communicate via phone, text, Zoom, Skype, FaceTime, or yelling at each other across the fence!  (Six feet away, please!)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe's studio - isn't it gorgeous?

Organize your quilt studio!  And while it can be a daunting task, you can follow the 30-minute rule over the next two weeks to make a good dent in it.  Set a 30-minute timer (hello, Alexa, my new BFF!), choose a task, and work on it for 30 minutes.  Maybe it's to sort your fabric by color, or press or cut up scraps, or just to pick up the piles on the floor and put them away - but whatever you do, if you do it for 30 minutes a day for the next two weeks, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes!


And speaking of your studio, do you (like me!) have large piles of batting scraps cluttering up your space?  (Oh the shame of it!)  So spend 30 minutes a day making frankenbatting!   Concentrate on building pieces large enough for your common size of quilt - for me that would be about 64" square - and then you can have a stack of ready-made batts instead of a pile of useless bits and pieces!  Or if you have a stack of UFO's sitting there ready to quilt, make batts specifically for those - and get them done!


Have you always wanted to learn how to do yoga or tai chi?  Well, here's your opportunity!  Find a YouTube video or TV class and jump right in.  With social distancing, at least you won't have to worry about looking silly in front of others, and it really is a great way to exercise.  You wouldn't think that something so low key would tone your muscles, but it does!  Bonus points for doing it outside and soaking up some good Vitamin D and fresh air!


Get organized!  Once again, that 30-minute timer is key.  Don't try to do it all at once, or you will burn out!  I have started adding this to my Monday morning list (the day I do household chores, like laundry, shopping, paying bills, etc.).  The entry on my list says:  "Organize one area of new house - 30 minute timer".  This week I worked on the laundry room, spending 30 minutes moving things from where they landed when we moved to places that were more convenient for their purpose.  Some things left the room, others were brought in.  And at the end of 30 minutes, I had a much more functional room!  Maybe there are things in your junk drawer that haven't seen the light of day for years (I found a pacifier in mine, and my youngest granddaughter turns 8 this week!) or your hall closet is a stuff-catcher.  Whatever it is, 30 minutes could turn it around!

So find something to do with your enforced time at home so that you can look back on the Great Coronacation of 2020 and say, "Oh yes, that's when I read that great book/took up yoga/organized my life/made lifelong memories."

Now I really want to know - - - what are YOU doing with your time these days?

Hugs!

Sarah

17 comments:

  1. weeeelll besides sewing, fixed a braided rug that had been waiting a loooong time..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m taking care of my gd as my son and dil are essential workers, I am working on ufos, sewed a purse and some other small goodies. We have also cleaned and repainted closets. We are on week 3 in NY and have at least 31 more days,..... Stay well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling this is going to go on until summer not just two more weeks! I need to get into the cleaning mood and do one week at a time - it needs it for sure as I always neglect some rooms - I like a clean house but not a fanatic about it I like a lived in look but not totally messy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had frankenbatt day in February. It's a great thing to have it all ready to use!!!!

    I've been telling people mid-June for life to resume a bit of normal. That's only IF everyone will chill and follow the CDC guidelines. Otherwise, it's going to be a very long summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to make sure I carve out time for sewing. In normal times I tend to get caught up in all the little things that need to be done in life and it gets pushed back. Since DH is working from home and I can't get to the computer for most of the day I've been working on sewing, although that always gets interrupted to make room for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did the same on my post yesterday, made some goals to get through this time. For us, it will be at least six more weeks, we are on lockdown until the end of April, and I believe it is going to be longer than that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your suggestions for keeping busy. I've been sewing some, cleaning and purging (spent lots of time shredding old papers) and yesterday I had a day of baking. The problem with baking is no one to share it with. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great suggestions, Sarah! I am spending a lot of time in the studio working on a variety of projects and a lot of time on the computer writing blog posts and visiting my bloggy friends. All in all, I'm pleased with the time well spent during this time of social distancing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great ideas Sarah! I've decided to tackle a different area of my house each day to do a 'deep clean' although it's not as taxing as it sounds. I just want to do a thorough dusting and vacuuming (move furniture, clean ceiling fan blades), etc. I'm also taking walks every day to get outside an soak up the vitamin D. I haven't made a list of things to do in my sewing room but that's about to change. There are definitely things I can clean up/out and organize. Thanks for the nudge!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve been cleaning out my quilting space. I have 3 large boxes of fabric and tops to deliver to your ministry when the quarantine lifts. I’m glad you are closer to your grands during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very nice and timely post. Hope you are all well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Franken-batting is on my list! Gotta get to that, it is driving me nuts that my pieces are never big enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for such great suggestions! I'm sewing, reading, gardening, caring for a sick relative (not the virus), journaling, Bible study, crocheting, embroidering, walking, and housework. Not all in one day but there's enough activities to keep me busy.

    The positive tone of your post is comforting! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the encouragement. We should all be clean and organized with new good habits when this is over!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’m able to work from home, so work, cooking, and chores are keeping me busy. But I was able to make a Frankenbatting and finish a quilt for Hands2Help. Yay! And I’m starting two other quilts because I need some fun in my life right now so I do t go bonkers at home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the “kick in the pants”, I’ve been flitting from task to task! I want to do something in my sewing room! Heaven knows I have lots of UFOS, but have felt the need to make masks! I sent some to my partial family in Florida. Now our surrounding hospitals are calling for more. So that’s my plan...masks and maybe some cleaning as I empty scrap buckets!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Illinois is hunkered down until at least the end of April. I'll be going back to work tomorrow, so I don't have all the free time others are getting. Instead of getting to work on any of my projects, I'm making masks for medical personal and now for the neighbors (we're now supposed to wear masks if we go into any shops, etc).

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!