Friday, September 17, 2021

Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? Vintage Beauty Restored!

 

Hi, all!

Friday, and the month already more than half gone - how time does fly!  But Friday means that it's time for us to get our whoop whoop on, so I hope you're ready.  Let's get started!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

A long while back, a friend at church brought me three vintage quilt tops and asked me if I could quilt them for her.  Two were fairly simple jobs, but the third was more challenging...

There were some areas in the sashing that had serious staining - you can see one at the bottom left and there was another one on the top right.  The fabric was feed sacking and I didn't have anything remotely similar to replace it with.  But looking at the layout of the quilt, you can see that the three strips of blocks are each three blocks plus a half block.  I decided to take the top apart and cut it down in size, eliminating the half blocks and laying it out in a three by three grid.  By doing that, I was able to use one of the clean eliminated sashing to replace the stained one, and the other was completely cut off in the remake.


The original outer border fabric was too flimsy and worn to re-use, so I found a copper colored cotton in my stash to replace it with. I actually think this color works better than the original!  (PS the quilt really is square - it looks like it isn't because I had to manipulate the photo to "square up" the picture.)


And now it's all finished - quilted and bound!  I thought it looked particularly nice here beside some of my vintage machines, too.  It's my last commission job for 2021, and now I can work on some "me projects" - or at least fun stuff!

And that leads me to my next whoop whoop - I've finished up that last commission just in time to start something fun...



Leanne, also known as @devotedquilter on Instagram, is hosting a 100 day WIP (works in progress) finishing challenge!  I have lots of projects that need finishing, and this will give me just the little extra encouragement I need to really plow through them. The challenge starts on 9/23, so there's still time to join in the fun.  Won't you join me?  It would be a great way to finish up some Christmas gifts, you know?  And as an added incentive, there are prizes!  

So - - - can I get a whoop whoop?

&*&*&*&*&*&*

And now it's your turn!

What's got you whooping it up this week?


What's making you do a little happy dance?

Share!  We want to dance right along with you,

And it's always more fun to dance with friends!

The party will stay open until Sunday midnight.

Hope to see you then!

Hugs!

Sarah


7 comments:

  1. wow lovely rescue on that vintage quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are miracle worker with that quilt Sarah! Good luck in your WIP decreasing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent solution to the tough questions of a vintage repair project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing up that commission, Sarah. It turned out great! Thanks for the invitation to join you in Leanne's WIPs Be Gone Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a wonderful job on restoring that quilt. I'm sure the owner is thrilled with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fabulous save! I love the photo in front of your vintage machines. Gives a great perspective of it’s actual size. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm amazed at the magic you worked on the vintage quilt. In the early pictures it looks small. Seeing it draped in front of your sewing machines gives a better idea f the size. I've never really posted on my Instagram account before. Leanne has inspired me, not only to work on my WIPS, but to actually post. Today, I will try to use a hashtag for the first time. Even an old bag can learn new tricks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!