Monday, February 27, 2023

Make-A-List Monday - She's a Quilting Machine....

 

Hi, all!

Do you remember that song Dancing Machine by the Jackson 5?  Well, I felt like a quilting machine this week!  You'll see why in a minute, but first, let's see how last week's list went....

1.  Finish the tutorial for the fifth quilt.

Done!   If you're interested, you'll find the tutorial for this quilt on this past Sunday's blogpost...

2.  Finish the tutorial for the sixth quilt.

The quilt is finished, but the tutorial still needs some sprucing up. So this is still on my list!

3.  Quilt my great-niece's (long overdue) baby quilt!

Done, and not only finished, but delivered!  Take a look at my two cute great-nieces on that quilt...

4.  Quilt some ministry quilts.

We'll get to that in a minute....

5.  Make backs for the stack of tops I have piled up!

...and this one too!

6.  Pick up my studio - it's looking rough!

It's looking even rougher, but I have a good excuse!


(It's gotten even worse since this pic was taken!)


And what is that excuse?  Well, on Tuesday night we met at church and did a "head count" on how many quilts we had for the two big projects we are currently working on - quilts for our high school graduates and another big project that I can't divulge just yet.  All in all we need about 85 quilts by the beginning of summer.  On Wednesday I looked at the pile of quilt tops I had on hand and decided I needed a kick in the seat of the pants to get to work, so I challenged Piper, the amazing person who's been keeping the quilt ministry afloat this past year, to a friendly competition - let's see who can quilt the most tops by the following Tuesday.  And we both got to work!  

I gathered up all the quilt tops I had on hand that would work for either of the two projects and added them to the stack I had to quilt, bringing my stash on hand to a total of eleven.  Can I finish eleven quilt tops in a week?  Let's see!

By Saturday noon, I had a stack of eight quilts, trimmed and with binding all ready to go!  Sunday afternoon I pulled the last three quilt tops I had and got the backs ready, then loaded one on the frame so it would be ready for me first thing Monday morning.

By 11 am Monday, I had quilted the last three tops!  A short break for lunch and to fold a load of laundry, and then I went back to the studio. These three quilts were trimmed and binding prepared, then I turned to binding!

And now we have five completely finished, washed and dried quilts to add to the stacks!  Hopefully I can finish a few of the remaining six quilts and get them washed and dried in time to take them to church tomorrow night.  Anything I don't finish will be passed on to one of our members who enjoys binding and I'll gather up another batch to be quilted!  

I can't wait to see how many quilts Piper brings in - I think we've made a huge dent in our needs!

I also switched the quilt on my bed from winter to spring - wishing for some pretty weather again, I guess!  It does make the room look really nice and fresh!

OK - so that's what I did last week.  Let's see what's on my plate for this week now...

1.  Deliver quilts to church.

2.  Pick up a new stack to work on this week.

3.  Finish the final tutorial.

4.  Help my SIL with the grandkids while my daughter is out of town.

5.  Quilt as many ministry quilts as possible.

6.  Clean off that table top in my studio!!!

That will definitely keep me out of trouble this week!  Bree, on the other hand, is very curious as to what I have been doing that keeps me from sitting in the chair adoring and petting her.  She comes up and looks at me like "whatcha doing, Mom?"

She's been such a good dog this week, and very patient with me.  However, when I went out on the porch with her today for a few minutes so she could play in the yard, she instead chose to climb up in my lap and "let" me pet her.  Such a goober!  But she's certainly grown up and matured.  

So now, I really want to know - - - what are YOU working on this week?

Hugs!


Sarah

5 comments:

  1. Awesome work!! Those quilts will be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on all those quilts! I was nowhere near that productive. Thanks for the Bree pricture to make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I was watching your posts on IG and my exact thought was 'what a quilting machine!" LOL It's always nice to put your head down and just plow through when you have a project and a deadline looming - Well Done!!! Bree looks so cute and I'm glad she's settled into your quilting routine ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nothing like a bit of competition to keep you focused! good work! What a good Bree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work! Bree is such a beauty and glad she was patient with all the good quilty work you are doing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!