Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Day Five of The Twelve Days of Christmas in July!

 

Hi, all!

Welcome back!  I hope you are enjoying yourself as much as I am - I've re-discovered so many things I've wanted to do in the past, as well as some old favorites re-visited.  After yesterday's post, I'm on the lookout for some really cute Christmas fabric to make new pillow covers for this year.  I'll save the buffalo check ones until they come back in style again!

Today I'll be sharing some fun things you can do with your kids, grandkids, or neighborhood kids - activities to keep them busy and stoke their creative juices too!  We'll also have another step in the quilt-along to get a little bit closer to our finished Christmas wall hanging or quilt.  So let's get started!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Have I ever told you that my grandkids call my studio "Nana's Playroom"?  And they love to play up there as much as I do.  I keep lots of craft goodies handy in addition to my sewing and quilting supplies, and they know just where they all are.  Sometimes I have to clear off a table or two for them to have room to work, but it's all good!

I'm notorious for sharing great craft ideas that I've found on the internet (particularly Pinterest) and today I've got a bunch for you.  I do not have tutorials for these, and in fact, many of them are so old that their links have become defunct.   But all of them can be figured out with a little ingenuity, and I bet you have many of the supplies in your own stash!


First up are these adorable bookmarks!  Find or take a fun pic of the kids, enlarge and print out on copier paper, glue it to card stock and let your kid cut it out.  Add a string and tassel, and you've got a bookmark!  Great for using up leftover embroider floss or yarn, and even the ends of cans of basting spray!


Wouldn't these make great teacher gifts or stocking stuffers?  Leftover ribbon, small scraps, old buttons, a circle of thin cardboard or plastic and a key ring.  You can either sew them together or glue them together (make the stiff center smaller than your outer fabrics).  For best success with one that will get hard use, I recommend sewing!



Mason jar crafts are always fun, and these two made me smile!  The ones on top are fall themed, but could take on whatever holiday you wish to make them for.  Place a large-ish sticker on the outside of the jar, paint whatever color you want, remove the sticker and add a ribbon and candle.  The ones on the bottom will satisfy the need for sparkle in your life, and are so simple!  Make a white glue wash (white glue and water) and then brush it up the insides of the mason jar. While it is still wet, add some glitter and roll it around the inside of the jar unit the sides have a good sprinkling on them.  Let it dry, add a candle and maybe a ribbon, and you've got a beautiful light catcher for your mantle!


I love these little wooden spool necklaces - noticed the buttons on top? I suspect there's one on the bottom too, that has the bead dangles attached to it.  I don't know about you, but I collect both wooden spools and old buttons, and this would be a good use for them!  A few leftover beads, bits of ribbon, and a small strip of a pretty fabric glued on the spool, and you're all done!  And you can buy really nice fine necklace chain on a spool at Hobby Lobby or on Amazon, enough to make a LOT of these!


And of course, Christmas wouldn't be complete (at least at our house) if we didn't end up making something in the kitchen.  I love the simplicity of these "oreos on a stick" lollipops that are simple enough for kids to make, but pretty enough to share!  Wouldn't they look nice in a short glass on a Christmas treat "charcuterie" board? 

And here's a tip I learned from a caterer - if you put kosher salt in the bottom of a glass or container, it will hold things like breadsticks, etc. in place, but looks like ice crystals or snow!  I have also used it in the bottom of some large hurricane lamps I have, with tiny Christmas trees and some little ceramic figures of gnomes, to make little Christmas vignettes.  The kiddos love them!




I hope you've been inspired to either make some of these with the kiddos in your life, or search out crafts that will work with your particular kind of crafting leftovers!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Now let's move on to today's step in the quilt-along....


The center of the quilt consists of nine blocks.  Today we are going to make Block A.  I'm keeping it simple today because there is a technique to making the green blocks that may be new to you - it's simple once you learn it, though!  I can thank Kelli Fannin and Lorna McMahon for showing me how to do this through their patterns.  This is the first time I tried to graph one of my own out, though, and believe me, there was a lot of "rippin' and cussin' and hopin' and prayin'" going on!  

And now that I've given you that particular little earwig to keep you company, let's pull the fabrics for Block A.  You will need the following pieces:

1 9.5” x 5”     white

4 2” x 3.5”     white

2 3.5” sq.     white


1 6.5” x 3.5”   green

1 6.5” x 2”     green



Step 1 - make a flying geese block using the green 6.5” x 3.5” and the two 3.5” white squares.  Draw a diagonal line across the back of the two white blocks, corner to corner.  Lay one on the right end of the green piece, matching the edges and corners, with the diagonal line running from upper left to lower right.  Stitch on the line.  Trim off the corner 1/4” from your stitching line.  Press the white corner out.  Repeat for the other side, having the diagonal line running from upper right to lower left.  Trim off the corner.  Press the white corner out.  



Voila! Your flying geese block is complete.   Now sew the two 2” x 3.5” pieces to each end of the block.


Step 2 - Sew the flying geese strip to the bottom of the 9.5” x 5” white piece. 



TIP:  You are about to make a block using the stitch-and-flip technique.  FYI, it is VERY easy to make a mistake and stitch the wrong direction.  I highly recommend checking to be sure you have sewn it correctly BEFORE cutting off the corner!  You are making the long rectangular piece on the bottom of Block A - check it to be sure the green ends angle correctly before trimming.  


Step 3 - Lay out the green 6.5” x 2” piece on your workspace.  Take one of the white 2” x 3.5” pieces, and place one of the short ends on the right side of the green piece, aligning the top right corner with the top right corner of the green piece.  The remainder of the white piece should hang down as shown above.  Draw a diagonal line from the upper left corner to the point where the lower right edge of the green piece falls under the white strip. (Enlarge the picture if you can't see the line I've drawn.)  Stitch on the line.  Trim off the corner.  Press out.  Repeat for the other corner, drawing your line from the upper right to the lower left.  Stitch on the line.  Trim off the corner.  Press out.  Sew this strip to the bottom of the piece you completed in Step 2.



Your Block A is complete!  It should measure 9.5” square.  Trim if needed. (I suggest doing this for all your blocks.)


Take a deep breath!  You've learned the basic technique that will get you through the Christmas tree center of this quilt.  It may be familiar to you, but if not, it's a good trick to add to your repertoire.  

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

Tomorrow we will get to do a little hopping again - Kate of Arts and Socks has a fun project to share with us and we will work on two more blocks for the quilt-along.

See you then!

Sarah

10 comments:

  1. What great craft ideas, thank you! It's a bummer I am sick but I will catch up with the quilt when I am up and around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I have been missing out! I'll have to go back and revisit your past posts. I feel like I've hit the jackpot. What wonderful ideas for crafts and Christmas gifts. The quilt is darling! I want to make that one for sure! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the terrific craft ideas. My grandchildren are voracious readers and would appreciate the book marks. Even I can make those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that bookmark idea! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bookmarks are wonderful, I have some spool ornaments on my sewing studio Christmas tree that are very similar, and I am now definitely hungry for one of those pops.
    Thanks sew much.
    Merry Christmas 🎄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great craft ideas, Sarah! I especially am fond of those button necklaces/ornaments! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really amazed with your writing talent. Thanks for sharing, Love your works

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the informative post. Keep on writing the same way

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your post, I always like to read quality content and you have one

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing. It is such a very amazing post. Great job you made

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!